Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Cosmigo Pro Motion NG: Pixel Perfect really work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Cosmigo Pro Motion NG: Pixel Perfect really work? Reply with quote

http://www.cosmigo.com/
I am thinking of buying the pro version but there are no discussions wether the 'pixel perfect' setting actually works perfectly... Even their official promo video does not show this feature even if it's supposed to be the best feature. I just think it is too good to be true. Does anybody here have experience with the pro version and if the pixel perfect feature actually works like they say it should? Imagine all that time spent on cleaning outlines, NO MORE plus you can free hand and always get pro results! All for something around 50$, just too good to be true...

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I overlooked this thread before...

Hey, I've seen that pixel-perfect line drawing feature in other editors, like Aseprite. I assume you're talking about this (live demo). Honestly looking at the video for Pro Motion I can't see in the slightest what that feature does; I'm going by the screenshot.

In fact, for fun, I was considering adding this draw tool to the OHR! I could borrow the code from aseprite since it's licensed under the GPL, like the OHR is. (Asesprite is for sale, but if you don't want to pay you can instead compile it yourself. It was Free/Libre software before the creator started trying to make a living from it, and it still is. Pro Motion does look like a better program, though.)
There are also a couple other Pro Motion features which the OHR ought to borrow, such as for editing tiling graphics and tilemaps.
But as I'be said before, the goal is not to turn the OHR's sprite editor into something that can compete with these programs. It makes absolutely zero sense to put that much work into a bad starting point. (Taking an open source graphics editor and modding it to use the same keyboard controls as the OHR would be a far better idea... but I'm not planning that either)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that really works. It's not perfect but it works. Like the guy said he can put more into it but it's definitely working where it is right now. I draw my backdrops and cutscenes in SAI/Photoshop but I draw all the other walkabys, battle sprites and even portraits inside OHR. Not much cleaning required for those parts as small graphics need to be planned rather than drawn freely in my method. Pixel perfect might be cool for big enemy graphics but I hardly use that within custom as it's much easier to draw big enemies in PS or SAI and just cut them up into parts to be pasted into OHR. I agree, it can't really be a big priority to attach something like this to Custom.

But I will take a look at that program you've mentioned. Anyway, since I got everything I need to make the first part of my game using the script you've provided in the other thread, I will hardly hard time trying to fool around with Perfect Pixel graphics as I'm too excited to start working on the new game which will use directly drawn stuff. The master palette really maintains good colors so i don't think it's necessary to overkill the graphics with meticulous pixel work if I'm to do everything in the game eh. Thanks always, TMC!

Oh: About using the keyboard, I think anyone can go a long way with the shift key and the draw tool. And of course, my all time OHR favourite, the line tool. It's pixel perfect all the time haha.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Like the guy said"? You mean that live demo? I don't think he ever described the exact algorithm, so other programs reimplemented it from scratch, so might behave a bit differently. It seems to me that the algorithm is just to draw lines between certain (carefully selected) points of the mouse path, so is actually quite similar to how the draw tool in the OHR used to behave, back when the graphics editors ran at 18fps instead of 60fps!

The Shift key? That doesn't do anything. I guess you mean Alt, to change the selected colour.

Anyway, good to hear you seem to have what you need for your game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: