Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Original Bob
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter
Best procrastinator in all of North America

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to use keys to draw a picture...sounds like torture. One time I used one of those pen-tablet things, but it was horrible. My pictures always showed up way out of proportion on my computer when I used it, and I just generally couldn't draw without being able to see my picture where my pen was, so I stick with the mouse.
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use computer related software to draw...
use traditionally pen/pencil and paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually prefer to use the OHR Maptile Editor to make cutscenes (well, color them, really; I draw them in pencil), since I don't much like the mouse. I don't know, does that make me weird?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madhatter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used pencil and paper to draw pictures, 'cuz the only stuff I draw on the computer is OHR-related graphics. Other than OHR graphics, my computer art isn't worth a dime.
Komera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can tell you, i much prefer using a tablet/stylus (btw, the stylus is the pen looking part) over a mouse. i'll quote one of my art books: "drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a bar of soap." the stylus has a much more natural feel to me.

the best way to keep your figures properly proportioned when drawing them on a computer is to first draw guidelines in a light color. best to draw them with the pic zoomed out, then zoom back in to make the dark lines, and erase the light lines.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komera wrote:
"drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a bar of soap."

Too true, too true. I've never understood how one can draw with a mouse. Of course, maybe that's just because I've always had old crappy mice that don't work well, but tablets work the best for me.
Of course, nothing beats sketching in pen in my notes during Anthropology. Some of my best art is in the margins of that little book.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike mice. If I could get a real paintprogram that used the keyboeard, that would be awesome 'cos a stylus sounds like it might be expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madhatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought my tablet about seven years ago, and it was $450, so that means it's probably $-3 today... Rule #one: never invest in technology early on...
Komera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first stylus (wacom) back in 1998 cost close to $400. my second one, the one i prefer because it actually works inside the ohr editor (also a wacom), is from late 2001 and alphaknight tells me he paid roughly $60 for it. (he was buying me a replacement because an accident nearly severed the cord of the first)

Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pixelated stuff I've drawn (http://shadow_iii.tripod.com/teaser.gif and http://shadow_iii.tripod.com/teaser2.gif to name examples) were with the mouse in the OHR. With the mouse. Yes, it was a living hell, yes I am beginning to see the light of the keyboard now. Currently I only use the keyboard to outline with black and too do most of the NPC's, but all the enemies and heroes are with the mouse.

As for cutscenes, I CG them then import them, even if it does make them look crappy. Photoshop is my best friend.

As for "Bob: The Early Years" that is freaking awesome. I agree with Komera: I want a Bob the Hamster stuffed animal!

*realizes what he's just said and that he is a 17-year-old Male*

Erm...for my girlfriend.
Komera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said that?

Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the old server. :p
Komera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, okays.

in old age, memory is the first thing to go... and i don't remember what the second thing was...

Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncommon, i seriously doubt anyone will consider that wierd...
I do that as well (well, mainly coz i hate colouring in with pencil)
I'd prefer the original in black and white, but to do that is to redraw a second copy or scan and colour after scanning it into the computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mr B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowiii, you did all that with the mouse!!?!?!

*stunned*

That must have been torturous! How...how...brutal. I would never do that. Well, I used too, but I discerned the virtue of the keyboard early on.

Actually, just about all of my tilesets are drawn outside of the OHR, using Ultimate Pain(t).

It's actually a pretty good program. It was difficult to get used to as first, because of the oddness of its setup, but then I really grew close to it. Nearly everything can be done with the keyboard (except for moving the cursor, zooming [Pissed off!], and toggling from paste to 'normal' mode). All of the controls have keystrokes, I can move from picture to picture using keystrokes, it's pretty nice. Not as good as Photoshop, probably, but it's free! If only it had keyboard zooming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: