Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

We need a contest...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is your favorite guard?
Aeth's \"generic guard\"-
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Blaze's battle-ready Dwarven guard-
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
CN's \"Myrtle, the castle's gate guard\"-
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: We need a contest... Reply with quote

***CONTEST IS OVER***

Well, the contest is over, and it's time to vote for your favorite guard! By the way artists, you're free to vote for your own. Congrats to everyone who joined in, either in making their own guard or helping critique them!

***CONTEST IS OVER***

Part of the purpose for the Art Forum was to help new artists and old artists alike develop new styles of drawing and work on their pixel art knowing they could get feedback.

So without further ado, here is the first Art Forum pixel contest!

The average castle guard-

Since this is Castle Paradox, lets start off with an easy walkabout of a castle guard. "But CN," you say, "that's too bland!" Oh really? Well, you'll need to take into account the climate of the castle, what state of alert the castle is in, and of course, what time period. Heck, is your guard lazy or overly alert? Is he the pimply faced new guy in armor to big for him, or is she the battle harden veteran? Is he a furry, human, or even alien? Let's go nuts here!

Needed-
1. Full walkabout, from every side, of your guard.

2. Your guard must have their weapon clearly shown, whether it be on their back, in their hands, sheathed.

That's it! If you need space to upload your work, contact IM. Contest will end Friday at midnight and judging, ahem, I mean constructive critiquing will begin Saturday morning.

Hope you all participate, I know I will!

Last edited by Chaos Nyte on Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goody! I've been meaning to redraw my "generic guard" sprite in my game, and this is a great opportunity. I'll post it when it is finished.

[Edit]

Finished! Here are two versions of my guard. I drew him intending to put him in my game, as it needs a guard.

1x magnification:

2x magnification:

I had an animated gif as well, but after finishing it I realized something was wrong with one of his frames, and had to go back and fix it - I don't feel like remaking the gif right now Raspberry! I'll post the gif later.

Last edited by Aethereal on Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, CN, you might want to specify what "Midnight." Our community is rather diverse. Midnight for me is 2 in the morning for you, as you know. Raspberry!
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any size restrictions? Should we make as an OHR sprite (16x16) or like something from Chrono Trigger/insert game name here?

Ukelele no good!
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, off to work I shall go.

Edit: Can I use my sprite of Garland from Seclipse?
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The sprite must be in OHR walkabout size, but if you feel the need to make it bigger, then go ahead, just add it on to the walkabout one.

2. Multi, you've missed the point of the contest. It's not to reuse sprites because you hope they'll win, it's to create a unique, interesting guard sprite for the contest, to improve your skills.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this; I make the sprite then I use it in my game (to be released in about 3 years). Is that acceptable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Squall, but geez people...it's a walkabout of a castle guard. How long is it honestly going to take you?
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the slowest working creature God has ever dropped on this planet. Expect mine to be riding the edge of the deadline. But hey, I'm glad you started the contest!

*goes to work on sprite*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join, because I crave defeat.

EDIT:
Chaos Nyte wrote:
The sprite must be in OHR walkabout size, but if you feel the need to make it bigger, then go ahead, just add it on to the walkabout one.

I'm confused about this one. The sprite has to be in walkabout size but can be bigger? Is that a yes or no on stacked walkabouts?
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, doesn't matter. I finished and it only took me around an hour. Here it is (it's in bmp, so magnify it if you can't see it):

Overall this came out much better than I had hoped... in fact this is the best sprite I've ever designed. I'll probably use this in a later game, but not DC because it doesn't fit in with the (inferior) style of sprites I have going.
Race: Dwarf
Time Period: Medieval (obviously)
State of Castle: Alert (carrying around the axe, ready to fight)

EDIT: Yeah, so... crap. That came out much smaller than I expected. Here's a bigger version:

Last edited by Blazes Battles Inc. on Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Come people! Comment on others work! Reply with quote

Aeth- Eh...it's a standard guard. Your style is the same from your game, and he's got a pretty typical design overall. Can I suggest you start sketching your characters on paper, and then trying to put them into OHR, so they're more creative? Still, it's a solid design, and I wouldn't look twice if a troop of them walked by.

Blazes- I like the idea of a dwarven guard, and you've got the beard down pat, but come on; that guy is as big as a walkabout can be! I was under the impression most dwarfs were short fellows. And the legs aren't looking so hot in the front and back views. Watch how you walk, you'll get it soon enough.

I'd like to thank both of you for such quick entries, your work encourages others to join and improve their art skills. Sorry that I'm overcritical. ^_^;;
Come on people! Help your fellow OHRers improve their graphics! Comment!
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Myrtle, guardian of the gate! Reply with quote

Whew. Only took me an hour too, all told.
I decided to take liberties with the idea of a guard. Myrtle the castle guard wears the a typical helmet, but is dressed in a blue gi with her shoulders covered by protective armor. Her weapon is a chain whip, which I included a walkabout of her attacking. I know they're hard to see, but she's also got little horns on her helmet. Comments are very welcome.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how will the winner be decided? Do we have a judge or is going to be voting or something?

The Dwarf is big because we aren't building a game around them, so there weren't any humans or elves to be taller than him, so I had as much room to use as I wanted.

DOUBLE-EDIT: Why am I so forgetful? If you want to see what he looks like moving, I've put him in a walkaround map on a 'game' at:
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/blazeinc/DWARF.zip
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sigh" I should have organized the initial post better, but after the contest date is past, I'll start a new thread, with a poll with each person's walkabout. Most votes win!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: