Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WIP: Ronins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe not 45 degrees; it depends on the style. For example isometric graphics are technical a lower 35 degree angle, while lots of top-down games use a high angle. But either way, mixing different viewing angles in the same game is really common (especially for buildings vs other sprites which are often drawn from the side), and noone notices it. So at least you don't have to worry too much about mixing perspectives.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled this and found out that they actually call it a 3/4 perspective. Like you've said, tops and fronts are drawn and that's it. Whoa sounds easy but adding vanishing points complicates it lol
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Question: Would it be possible to have block(or parry) and cover implemented?

Tried smaller houses, like if the characters are SD, so would be buildings ^_^
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Block/Parry can be implemented.

You can do it with chaining. The first part of the attack raises defence, and then it chains to the second part of the attack which restores defence back to normal
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Especially with the new ticks before chaining, this is going to be awesome!
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been days trying to figure out the style to use for the maptiles. This is driving me insane, still can't decide!

BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go back to #4 argh i_i
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is my favorite
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if the characters are SD"? What's SD?

Bob the Hamster wrote:
#3 is my favorite

Well of course you would say that, everything else in that screenshot looks awesome! (except the plain grass).

I also still prefer #4, but it might not be a fair comparison. I think the others look less interesting for several reasons:
-the shading on the roof is nice in #4, while the others look more flat, especially the base of #1 (the shading might be unfinished though?)
-Straight vertical and horizontal lines look a little dull. That haunted (?) house you posted earlier had lots of lines that weren't perfectly horizontal/vertical, which made it much more interesting, as do diagonal lines.
-I think the buildings in #3 look pretty small, and also a bit box-shaded with a roof that doesn't stick out, while the others are a nicer size.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is a from a jpg. It is 320 x 400 in size. Something's wrong with it I just can't tell. The plain grass happened when I decided not to finish it haha

Oh yeah, the haunted house. I will try to make something like that when I take along break.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TMC"]"if the characters are SD"? What's SD?

SD is superdeformed... In this game their heads are bigger like caricatures while in old ff's each characters are three heads tall, one for the head, for the torse then for the legs.

Battle Question:

I have made a defensive attack:

1. buff hero def
2. wait 1 turn
3. chain to a revenge attack (if hero is attacked)
4. restore defense to 100%

*If hero is not attacked:
1. def buff is still on
2. any attack(edit: by hero) chains to restore defense
3. if hero does the defensive attack again it instead chains to the revenge attack
4. chain to restore defense

- This is working but the problem is, the first time you cast it, she'll wait a turn, if you attack her during waiting she does nothing when her turn comes instead of doing the revenge attack to the last attacker. On the next round it works normally, she blocks all attacks and hits the last attacker. Did I make a mistake?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this turn-based battle or active-time battle?

Quote:

1. buff hero def
2. wait 1 turn
3. chain to a revenge attack (if hero is attacked)
4. restore defense to 100%

How do you detect whether the hero is attacked in step 3? I can't think of how this could work (since heros do not have counterattack support yet)

Quote:

*If hero is not attacked:
1. def buff is still on
2. any attack(edit: by hero) chains to restore defense
3. if hero does the defensive attack again it instead chains to the revenge attack
4. chain to restore defense

I am confused. Are these a list of goals that you are trying to achieve with this chain of attacks? Or is this a list of problems that you are having with this chain of attacks.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this turn-based battle or active-time battle?

Real-time

Quote:
How do you detect whether the hero is attacked in step 3? I can't think of how this could work since heros do not have counterattack support yet)

It doesn't really counterattack all attacks, it just attacks its last attacker...

I will try to rewrite here:

The Attack is divided into chains:

1. Primary Attack: "Defensive Stance" target: self, damage: (cure)buff defense, delay before attack: none
2. chain to: "Counter" target: revenge, damage: normal +40%, delay before attack: 1 turn
3. chain to: "Normal Stance" target self, damage: (none) reset defense to max, delay: (delay just for flavored text)

Quote:
I am confused. Are these a list of goals that you are trying to achieve with this chain of attacks?

This part is happens if nobody attacked the hero while waiting for the 'counter' part of the chain. The chain doesn't happen and the buff remains active. I put this so that other attacks will remove the defense buff as the hero gets out of the defensive stance every time she attacks:

Normal Attack chain: if this hero (def) stat% > 100% chain to "normal stance"

---------------------------
The problem is, even if you attack the hero the first time she uses this attack, during the 1 turn wait before the second chain occurs, she doesn't attack the last attacker (revenge).

Then when she does the skill again it just works like it should. Hero is almost invincible for a full turn and automatically attacks the last attacker during her next turn then chains to the move that resets her defense. Then the battle meter resets as well.

Last edited by BlastedEarth on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, interesting... I think I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.

I think the problem may be in step 2 of the chain.

The setting "Target Class: Revenge (last hit to attacker)" is calculated at the beginning of the attack, before the delay happens, so if the hero has not been attacked before the "Counter" part of the chain starts, the attack is targetless.

I am not sure how to fix this. I am going to have to think about this some more

EDIT: it only took a few minutes of thinking about this to realize that adding support for hero counterattacks into the engine isn't enough. I *also* need to add support for attacks that change the counterattacks of the target.

EDIT2: Oh! And with a few more minutes of thinking, I realized there is a simple way that should work without needing to wait for me to implement a new feature

Make a 4-part chain

1. Primary Attack: "Defensive Stance" target: self, damage: (cure)buff defense, delay before attack: none
2. chain to: "Defensive Delay" target: self, damage: none, delay before attack: 1 turn
3. chain to: "Counter" target: revenge, damage: normal +40%, delay before attack: none
4. chain to: "Normal Stance" target self, damage: (none) reset defense to max, delay: (delay just for flavored text)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo that explains it. I guess that's ok for now. Thanks, Bob!

edit: Oh that was quick, that is brilliant, Bob! Can't wait to test it tomorrow, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: