Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WIP: Ronins
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: WIP: Ronins Reply with quote

Hi, if you've played my game ABEL, the walls in the maps are following this top-down style. I'm trying to make an impression of depth by having the buildings converge downwards into some vanishing points. The problem is I'm not sure if this looks wrong. I personally like it but do you think it looks weird?

I need to ask this while I'm still early in this game I'm making. If this sucks I'll just stick to the topdown style like in final fantasy 5. Thanks!

Last edited by BlastedEarth on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That building looks fantastic, but I think it will only work if the building stands alone, like a temple in the forest

As soon as there are more than one building of that style in the same screen, the angles of their roofs will clash and ruin the excellent look of depth.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see it, so that's why even the last game looked weird, I knew something was wrong I just fail to point it out lol. I'll just try something different.

Googled some designs:

- Something like this would be awesome! :-)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really great! Yeah, two of them next to each other looks very cartoonish because they look like they're much larger at the top (and that sort of 'pop' effect is used a lot in cartoons). But I think you can put multiple next to each other if you draw different wall angles:

Consider also the perspective in the single screen dungeons in Zelda 1.

But I agree, that house you posts would be great too! In order words, just using nearly straight walls.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC: Thanks for the input! Hmmm, well, seeing it mirrored it does ruin the depth. Although the cartoon effect you are talking about is really one of my favourite styles I think I've done it wrong in those tries. (edit: Oh, hmmm, so you've done more than just mirror it, you've actually corrected the angles. Just the roof on the right side of the left building looks wrong now, but yeah this might work although it will be hard building maps with varying buildings since I will have to draw each type in different angles.)

I did this before sleep, it's not as cool as the second example I posted there, it more like follows the first example, what do you think, do you like this better than the my first house tiles?

Edit:
Since I am getting constructive feedback in this post, is it okay if I change the title and turn this into a game journal for the new game I'm making now?
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a preview of some of the characters. Before they are recruited they have to be beaten in battle. I pasted their corresponding party looks. I took the background from Mugen(I really wish I could draw backgrounds like this ^_^).

This image should display the style I am going for in this game.

(Edit: L-R: The Hitman, The Gambling Den Mistress, The Vagrant Thief)

Last edited by BlastedEarth on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

I set an attack that causes mute as a random effect in the battle tray. I gave it to enemies to test it. It works on enemies but not on player's characters, am I doing something wrong here?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any problems with mute

I know mute only blocks attacks that have the "Mutable" bitset turned on. Do your heroes have attacks that are mutable?

How much damage does your muting attack doing to the mute register? If I remember correctly, mute damage is counted in ticks, so 18 damage to the mute register will keep the target muted for about 1 second.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attack uses ATK as a base stat and uses ATK as a base defense (it's called 'Bladelock', like if the guy is more powerful he dominates the bladelock and keeps the target from doing special moves). It targets the mute register and with 0 additional attack so the mute depends on the remaining Atk of the attacker after the check.

1. I've set all other skills aside from basic attacks are mutable.
2. Gave one enemy 1 Atk and set all of his attacks to 'mug' which is mutable. When a hero with 100 attack uses bladelock on him, he cannot do mug until the mute wears off.
3. Gave one enemy 100 atk and the hero 10 atk. The mute sign appears on the bar but the heroes can still perform mutable moves...

Thanks, James...
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:

1. I've set all other skills aside from basic attacks are mutable.
2. Gave one enemy 1 Atk and set all of his attacks to 'mug' which is mutable. When a hero with 100 attack uses bladelock on him, he cannot do mug until the mute wears off.

Hmm... Okay, based on the ATK formula you are using, that should keep the enemy muted for about 5.4 seconds

BlastedEarth wrote:

3. Gave one enemy 100 atk and the hero 10 atk. The mute sign appears on the bar but the heroes can still perform mutable moves...

And that one should keep the hero muted for about 4.9 seconds.

Are the hero's mutable attacks equipped weapon attacks? attacks in spell lists? attacks placed directly in the hero's battle menu?

I know that muting will not apply to weapon attacks unless the "Check costs when used as a weapon" attack bitset is turned on, but no special bitset is required for attacks in spell lists.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are the hero's mutable attacks equipped weapon attacks? attacks in spell lists? attacks placed directly in the hero's battle menu?

- Not weapon attacks, they are the same attacks I've put on the enemy to test the mute. They are placed directly in the battle menu like steal or mug in ff6.

Quote:
I know that muting will not apply to weapon attacks unless the "Check costs when used as a weapon" attack bitset is turned on, but no special bitset is required for attacks in spell lists.

- I think the mute attack is really in the spell list because I even named that section and set the attack and set when they are able to learn the skill.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... try this. Add a spell list, and put in it the same attacks that are directly in the battle menu. I suspect that the bug could be related to the attacks directly in the battle menu not checking for mute status as they should.

Oh, also, which version are you running? beelzebufo or a nightly wip (and if wip, what is the version number?)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suspect that the bug could be related to the attacks directly in the battle menu not checking for mute status as they should.

You're right! They are working when used either ff1 style or normal! :-)

I am using Beelzebufo, the stable one.

Edit: Oh and I've tried both poison and stun with other attacks they are perfect eh

Edit: Downloaded the Nightly from the site, mute is fixed in that version, thanks!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice hero graphics!

The perspective on the new house graphic that you posted bothers me a bit: the way that the lip of the roof is thin at the front but very wide on the sides makes it look to me like you're viewing the building almost from street level rather than the normal ~45 degree angle from above.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks!

Hmmmm, I haven't really looked into the idea behind this style. Now I get the idea that it's acutually what you're supposed to see from a 45 degree angle from above.

The house I was trying to make really has a wide roof but because of what you've said, I'm starting to think it does kind of look weird. The lip there, is supposed to provide shade over the entrance area. If the colors were finished there should be darkness over the windows and maybe about 5 feet from the door. But nah this doesn't seem to be a simple color problem. I will look into it when I take a long break.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: