Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Android/PC counterattack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: OHR Android/PC counterattack Reply with quote

Hi, I was playing ff5 on an android tablet and I seriously began missing OHR... sniff! So, I have two questions:

1. Is there really an OHR android? If yes, where can I download it?
2. Can you make PC's counterattack ala FF5 monks? That'd be awesome!

Sidenotes:
I have once again succeeded in making yet another unfinished game while I was away and I'm uploading it later as one of the games that was made but never took off (or never completed in the first place). I am now working on a new game again and I'm trying to stick to the engine this time without plotscripts outside OHR and keep the game simple and maybe I can deliver something finished. Oh and the entries for the last contest were awesome, I wish I was able to join lol

One more question:
I am making an assassin character which jumps like a dragoon. Now, his landing attack is user controlled as the skill is called 'ambush' and he is supposed to hide somewhere off-screen and only strike when the player feels it's time and chooses an attack command. Is there anything I can do to restrict the usage of items for the assassin when he's off-screen aside from instead chains?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The android version is indeed real.

I don't have a nightly build for it set up yet, but there is a relatively recent build here: http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/ohrrpgce-game-android-debug.apk

It is also possible to package an OHRRPGCE game as a standalone apk, for example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superwalrusland.ckane but that requires compiling from source, which I am happy to help out when people are ready to publish their finished games.

I don't know an easy way to disable "Item" when jumping, but I should definitely add a way. A while back I was planning to add the ability to disable battle menu items based on tags, but I didn't finish implementing it.

EDIT: oops, I missed a question! Right counterattacks only work for enemies, but I do plan to eventually add the same feature for heroes.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is also possible to package an OHRRPGCE game as a standalone apk, for example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.superwalrusland.ckane but that requires compiling from source, which I am happy to help out when people are ready to publish their finished games.

Huwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, James, can ohr games be played in mac ios?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:

Not currently.

In theory it is possible, but we haven't had time to work on porting it.

Also, the barrier for entry is a lot higher. To develop for Android all you need is an Android device and a free download of the SDK. You don't have to pay for a developer licence unless you want to publish on Google Play, and even that is only a one-time charge of $25

For iOS development you need to own an iOS device... but you also need to own a Mac. If you have a Windows or a Linux computer you can't really use it for development. Then just to be able to test your game on the iOS you need an apple developer licence, which costs $100 per year.

So to develop for iOS without having to pay, you have to go the Jailbreak route, which is a whole lot more work.

That is why all my porting energies have been focused on Android :)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
BlastedEarth wrote:

Not currently.

In theory it is possible, but we haven't had time to work on porting it.

Also, the barrier for entry is a lot higher. To develop for Android all you need is an Android device and a free download of the SDK. You don't have to pay for a developer licence unless you want to publish on Google Play, and even that is only a one-time charge of $25

For iOS development you need to own an iOS device... but you also need to own a Mac. If you have a Windows or a Linux computer you can't really use it for development. Then just to be able to test your game on the iOS you need an apple developer licence, which costs $100 per year.

So to develop for iOS without having to pay, you have to go the Jailbreak route, which is a whole lot more work.

That is why all my porting energies have been focused on Android Happy

Lol that's a lot of hassle, I don't even own anything mac ^_^
Thanks for clearing things!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any plan to (manually) distribute people's games to the Google Play or iOS stores for them, so that they don't have to pay the registration fees? I assume such a courtesy service would be restricted to free games to avoid payment hassles. I can't remember whether you mentioned such a thing or not. But it seems like it would be a lot of hassle to enter all the game information and distribute updates. The Google Play store allows adding team member accounts with limited permissions though.

It seems like signing the packages with keys shouldn't be a problem; we can distribute the utilities to let people do that themselves... for Android at least.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall if we discussed a plan like that before.

I still don't have a clear plan of how best to streamline Android distribution.

When I am packaging a game for someone, I just have to edit a few files, and run a script, but that method only works on Linux, and requires Android SDK+NDK, OHR source code, our Freebasic fork, our sdl-android fork, and possibly a few other things I am forgetting.

It would be nice to just take a copy of the generic ohrrpgce-game apk and add a rpg file, replace the icon file, and re-write a few configuruations like the package name, and then re-sign it... but I don't think that is a trivial task-- especially the part about changing the package name, since, as far as I can tell, that package name gets compiled into the Java code.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had two ideas on that. Mine was to distribute the pre-compiled .dex (Java) files and other files, write a small utility to patch in the correct package name (sounds crazy, but it would be very small). Aside from that the only utilities we would need to distribute would be to do the signing and zip alignment.

I think it was Seth who suggested creating a web service to compile the Java files instead. Everything else can still be done locally.

I'm not sure which would be less work. But I bet that the "everything else" part would still be the majority of the work.
Powerstar

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: dudes Reply with quote

Im a mac user im here to say it OHRRPGCE works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum