Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Anodyne (Spoiler)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Anodyne (Spoiler) Reply with quote

1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Last edited by Rya.Reisender on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Yay!

Was this game made by someone I know?

I saw the trailer for this game a few weeks ago... I think it was on the OUYA forums? It looks fun.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we might know the guy, he wrote about how he liked the OHRRPGCE and used it in the past.

The game's pretty good, but I played it on PC.
You can get it from here: http://www.anodynegame.com/

I also wrote a review about it:
Quote:
I admit I was at first hesitant to buy this game, I'm not that huge of a Zelda fan and the screenshots and trailers couldn't really convince me, but now that I played the game (almost) to the end, it was well worth the purchase.

The story is very strange - it's actually very dream-like and disturbing. Don't expect to understand anything about the story. You will read texts and they seem mostly random and some disturbing and often they give you a small hint on what to do, but it's very hidden, so you will probably not even notice. If you know Yume Nikki or Miserere or other "disturbing dreams" games: Anodyne is pretty much that story-wise.

Gameplay is kind of Zelda-like. There is plenty of combat and you need certain tricks to kill each type of monster. There is a good variety in monster behavior. The other 50% of the game are the puzzles, which are often combined with monsters. Monsters have to be killed or used to solve some of the puzzles. The other element is your weapon, a broom which can suck in dust and place it somewhere else. Puzzles are often centered around different things you can do with the dust like using it as a platform that prevents drowning. Even though the idea is simple, there is a good variety in puzzles, so you always have to think anew how to combine the present elements to open the next door. The game is usually fairly fast paced. You will fairly fast figure out how to solve a puzzle, but executing it is another challenge.

At certain parts the game can be really difficult, other parts are really easy. The difficulty is not perfectly balanced (many of the harder sections are fairly early on) and you WILL have problems with the game if you are bad at such games because there is no difficulty option and the harder parts really need quite some skill to clear.
You should expect to die often in the hard sections, but luckily there are frequent checkpoints so you don't have to repeat much after dieing.

There are also a few mapping bugs in the game that can cause you to get stuck in wall or be forced to "suicide" to get back. The game also offers a "return to entrance" feature in case you get stuck in such a way, but that might require you walking back quite a while to get back to the section you wanted to get to. You can also decide to suicide and return to the last checkpoint. Your deaths will be counted, so you might feel bad about this, though. Other than the mapping bugs, the game runs pretty stable, though.

All in all Anodyne is a great game. The unbalanced difficulty and mapping bugs in some parts take off one star in the rating, but otherwise nothing to complain. I actually enjoyed it more than Zelda due to the more interesting and dark atmosphere.

4/5

1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Big grin
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Gamersgate account you can get it for cheaper too today: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANODYNE/anodyne
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review; seems to describe the game well. But the "story" in Yume Nikke wasn't really at all appealing to me; it just served as an excuse to visit lots of exotic locations. Does Anodyne also have that variety of scenery?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has quite a big variety of scenery.

And well you might not like the story too much if you didn't like Yume Nikki, but granted unlike Yume Nikki Anodyne has quite some dialogues, just that they are hard to understand because what you see is not what fits to the text.

But I didn't like the story much either and I still played it all the way through because of the puzzles.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Hey! A new Humble Bundle just started, and it appears to include Anodyne. Spiffy!
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, best opportunity to get it I guess, because it also includes the OST which is pretty good AND the remix album. Also it seems that an experimental Android version is also available.

Not to mention that you'll get Incredipede too! A bit weird, but that game idea is awesome.

And Linux versions for James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: