Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Old timer OHRRPG gamemaker AshRaimi here to ramble nonsense

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Old timer OHRRPG gamemaker AshRaimi here to ramble nonsense Reply with quote

Since a new Evil Dead movie is getting released today I wanted to pop into the old OHRRPGCE community to see how things were going. Seems like all is still well around here and there is still new OHRRPGCE's being made! I thought it would be nice to just write a blurb on the goings on with one of the original OHRRPGCE gamemakers.

What prompted this? Well before I wanted to see the new movie I thought I would load up the OHRRPG I made a while back in the early days (well over a decade ago!), Evil Dead Timeline, and see how it holds up. Sadly not very well. Terrible writing, shoddy artwork, bad balance of random difficulty. Can't believe this game made it to a lot of top 10 lists for the community. It's weird going back to your first game and thinking "Yuck! What the hell was I thinking here"?! Also the game is littered with ugly bugs in the newer OHRRPGCE versions so playing it now wouldn't be ideal unless you have one of the old versions of Game.exe.

I came back to the community about 8 years ago with news that I was working on a new version of the game, Evil Dead Timeline Take 3. Sadly I wish I was unable to finish it before my computer crashed and burned all those years ago. It was a near complete overhaul of that game with a lot of attempts to add survival horror elements to traditional turn based rpgs. I still have the dead harddrive with that file still on it, hiding in my closet somewhere, hoping to be resurrected someday. Here were some screens from it (sorry for the poor quality as these are the only images I have left of it):

The game would've been renamed Tales of the Evil Dead

The opening story would've been completely reworked (no more crappy movie image imports). It would've lead to you having to choose from 3 books at the beginning.

There would've been more side scrolling segments and adventure game elements:

Boss battles reworked and redrawn

Redrawned backgrounds, enemies, maps, art, etc

Now before you ask "is he finally making an update to Evil Dead Timeline"? Sorry, the answer is "no". Evil Dead Take 3 is cursed by the Necronomicon itself. Twice I attempted to finish that game and both times my computer died during the process (and strangely my backup disappeared too). It's in the past now and its ghost will forever haunt me.

So what have I been doing since then? Well after my failed attempts at Take 3 I went to romhacking and made a Super Mario World hack called Massimo. It was my attempt at at reworking Super Mario into a strange little adventure game. I made it in the course of three months for a romhacking contest. Despite some flaws I thought it turned out rather nicely and helped give me a good warm up on level creation skills.

Massimo:

After that I started doing my own coding and am now working on my own game, EG. It's not an RPG, more of a Metroidvania-esque game. I've been working on it for quite some time and am almost ready to show something for it. Once I'm ready I'll show some stuff here first.

EG:

I am however really wanting to delve back into wanting to make an old school RPG again. It will be very similar to Evil Dead Timeline but without the license attached to it. There was a lot of ideas I had for that game that never came to fruition and would very much like to expand upon it. It won't be on the OHRRPGCE sadly since I'm doing all my own coding now, but I'll keep you guys posted if and when start working on it.This time I have plenty of drives to back it up with.

Anyways, sorry for the random rambles. Who knows if anyone is still here from back in the day that would remember me. This was the place that pushed me into finally making games and am very glad to see it is still active after all these years. Keep on creating guys!

AshRaimi
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set aside time to play your games each time there was an update. Glad to see you're okay!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool. Those battle backdrops are awesome. I haven't been around long enough to remember you, aside from your brief comeback in 2005. But always nice to have people drop in and say what they've been up to. BTW for the last few years most of the activity has shifted to www.slimesalad.com, though it seems like there are still plenty of people lurking around here. And it'll be nice to see you back to release EG.

The only version of Evil Dead I ever played was the Weird edition, which didn't leave such a great impression, heh. Oh hey, look, a copy of Evil Dead Timeline from 2001 on Bahamut of all places. Much more playable, but maybe still not a version you would want people to play!

And yeah, the engine doesn't handle games from that long ago very well. The plan is to improve that at some point.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! it is good to see you again! :)

EG looks interesting! I am eager to see more of it. What language and tools are you using to program it?
Enk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
And it'll be nice to see you back to release EG.

The only version of Evil Dead I ever played was the Weird edition, which didn't leave such a great impression, heh. Oh hey, look, a copy of Evil Dead Timeline from 2001 on Bahamut of all places. Much more playable, but maybe still not a version you would want people to play!

And yeah, the engine doesn't handle games from that long ago very well. The plan is to improve that at some point.

EG still has some before it is released, but I'm far enough into development to start feeling comfortable in showing some stuff.

I believe ED:Weird edition was a reworked version of the original beta I made for ED:Timeline. Lots of it was old graphics, enemy design, level layout, etc. It's not really the same game. Just something goofy I thought I would release for people to play around with.

Bob the Hamster wrote:
Welcome back! it is good to see you again! Happy

EG looks interesting! I am eager to see more of it. What language and tools are you using to program it?

Thanks! I'm coding it in C#. Originally it was going to be an XNA game for XBOX indies but I got too carried away so it's now just a PC release. I'm usually more on the game design of things than programming so this has very much been a learning experience. My coding skills are still pretty fuzzy and the game plays the way I want it to play and very smoothly, but I am a bit worried about how it would run on weaker machines than mine. Once I reach a certain point in my game I'll let people do some beta testing with it to get an idea.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. I still remember you. :-)

Wondered by TMC brought you up when I talked to him last time, but I guess it's because of this thread, heh.

I'm glad to see that you are finally making your own games that are not referring to an already existing series.
I always wonder why people always have to do stuff like "Final Fantasy ABC" when they clearly have the potential to make completely own games. And there is exactly a lack of game designers, so even if you had no idea about a story yourself you could fairly easily get one (it's not like composers and artists that are always lacking).
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: