Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

E3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: E3 Reply with quote

so for the past few months my team and I (7people) have been working on a game using ohrrpgce. we just got a exhibitor space reserved for us for E3 2014! this is huge. does anyone have any tips to improve a ninja game. ideas for mechanics or features that we may not have thought of?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some screenshots and tell us a little more about the game? What is it all about, other than Ninjas?

How have you been dividing up the work with your team? Seven people us an unusually large team for an OHRRPGCE game-- most of us make games alone or in pairs.

I admit that the tools to merge game data coming from different sources are pretty limited.

EDIT: Okay, I should just come right out and say your story is making me pretty sceptical. The E3 booth, and the Gamestop thing you mentioned in the other thread both sound rather outlandish. If you want to seek help with your game, the best thing to do is just ask directly, show your work so far, and perhaps people can find ways to provide help and constructive suggestions.
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we want to keep screenshots under wraps right now. but it has three storylines, one young ninja with a powerful ancestry, whose village is destroyed and has to hunt down his enemy. A prodigy ninja, grown up, and retired at age sixteen after a tragic incident with his fiancee that throws him into a rage where he injures seven guards, and a tournament fighter who is trying to avenge his unjust loss at his tournament to a cheating champ, by becoming more and more powerful to defeat him. their paths cross and the fate of the world of shinobi rests on their shoulder.
you learn attacks by fusing scroll fragments to create scrolls, with different properties. our team is as follows
me) head developer/ works with ohrrpgce
travis) plotscripting, larger art, and some system help for me
chris) business/ advisory
youn) artwork
dennis) main music
nate) complex technical problems (emulators and stuff)
taylor) smaller music (fightning)
nate and taylor were hired without my consent.
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you know bob the hamster, I commonly come right out and ask for help, on an almost daily basis. We intended on going to E3 2013, but due to expenses we could not all go. if you don't believe me, fine then, but watch for 8REV studios at E3 2014.
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and as far as gamestop goes, we had a meeting planned with gamestop corporate for april 2013 but chris cancelled it after he decided he wanted it mobile and so we apparently arent meeting with gamestop about sponsorship anymore
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you and I'll keep my eye out. What the hell's your emulator guy doing though? Is he porting your game to emulators? If so, which one? I've always wanted to play an OHR Game in ZSNES, save states and PAR Codes, yo!

Oh, and you wanted suggestions. I would suggest you have sneak attack mechanics where a player can totally dodge a battle by being sneaky, AND I would suggest you not try to do a Metal Gear Solid camo kind of system because it takes all the mystique out of a ninja. A ninja don't need no camoflage, he just moves in a way that no one notices him. Don't make being a sneak tedious, is what I'm saying. Make it real natural and smooth and all kinds of cool shit happens. I'd almost say don't have battles at all. Swordfights are not ninja. Poison is ninja. Ambush is ninja. Achieving victory before the other guy even knows he's dead is ninja. A fair fight is for fools.

Hope you use some of the ideas! I'd love to get invited to E3!
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the attack system allows for a lot of customization, and the battles are mostly random appearance, like pokemon, however we may try to add series of sneak attacks which hit first and do extra damage but can only be used occasionally and at the beginning of the battle. and thank you for your input and support. to be honest all I really did was speak to the head of registrations at E3 to make sure we met the prerequisites and asked if they could reserve spaces for 2014 which she did. we do have a series of poison attacks
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay.

Well, the storyline concept sounds good. Are the three sub-stories played one-after-another, then coming together in the end, like the chapters in Dragon Warrior 4?

Do you plan on using the standard OHRRPGCE battle system?

Whenever your artists feels ready, it will help to post screenshots, or even just concept art sketches. That can go a long way towards getting people excited.
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I will talk to chris about that, because we can post screenshots tonight if he will let me. funny, I started thsi, but he is telling me what to do. anyway, yes we are using the standard ohrrpgce battle system, but instead of buying attacks, each character has their own store where they can fuse fragments they have found to create attacks with diferent properties
ex. Kenryoku brings a fire fragment, an HP fragment, and a multi attack fragment, with the correct recipe and he will get a scroll that teaches him the multi-fireball jutsu and therefore players can creat attacks that best eccentuate their play style. and at the beginning you choose your character, and you play through the story line and meet the other characters, however you dont know their backstory or motivation unless you play as that character. so you effectively have to play the game three times to get the whole story, but since each story is unique it doesnt feel repetitive. kind of like final fantasy BBS
gagekilmer
Ninja... nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for gizmog, nate (our emulator guy) is trying to find an emulator that will run our game on mobile devices (though I think travis may have to write an emulator from scratch to make it wrk and even then im not sure it will)
Charbile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a really cool thing this! gagekilmer, I hope to see your group at e3. will be really disappointed if my team and I (5people) will be the only company there with a custom ohr build. gomez (our lead designer) is very curious about your ninja design (josh from school is very skeptical, you should at least post some screenshots!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: