Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sword of Jade 1.12: Critical attack bug fix!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an Edge option (originally added by James, but replicated in this main version) that only appears on Mobile
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:
Bob the Hamster wrote:
TMC wrote:
You have two children now??

I do!

As one rodent to another, are you intending to have hundreds or stop at a few dozen?

A hundred? That is crazy. 50 would be plenty.

No seriously, might adopt some more in a few years, if my wife and I feel up to it. :)

FyreWulff wrote:

There's also an Edge option (originally added by James, but replicated in this main version) that only appears on Mobile

Ooh! Interesting!

I am guessing Hunt means trigger a random battle right away? What do Avis and Anima Bag do?
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Hunt lets you trigger a battle without having to find an enemy to run into.

Avis (birds) are the quick travel system between towns that you can unlock as you go on.

Anima are part of the Icon crafting system, Icons are what you use to improve stats in Sword of Jade instead of the traditional 'armor'. Most of them have in-universe names but a few of them reference community members, Bob, and you.

Trivia: The original idea for Icons when I presented it to Charbile besides an in-world meta identity system was that it would be a meta stats system that could apply to any genre of game/sequels. Of course, with the experience I have now, that was a liiiittle too much cart before horse planning :V
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various battles in the game, where it makes sense, now make use of the hero formation functionality
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks cool!
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that feature had been around for a while and I just missed it, turns out it was only added a couple of months ago! Been a while since a stable release for the engine.

It can't be used everywhere because it won't make sense for some battles, and some exploited the hardcoded positions to put heroes in the right spot (like the battle on the bridge).

changelog for today:

- updated to the 7/23 nightly (this will probably be the version for release of this update)
- implementing the new Icon functionality to give SoJ an icon
- more SFX added
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
Been a while since a stable release for the engine.

I know. I tend to wait until a stable release before I update my shiz. I'm still using Beezlebuffo. Oookay...
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry about making you all wait so long for the callipygous release!
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links in the OP are all now the latest version.

I'll do up all the fancy write ups and crosspost to slimesalad later today
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, guess my password manager didn't save the right password for slime salad. Can someone kick the email server for it again? I'm not getting the reset password email.

edit: james has fixed this situation, thanks james!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome I played the first hour again, I don't think I've replayed that far in about 10 years. Some of the new music is quite nice, though in comparison some of the BAM/MIDI tracks play far too loudly for me. It might be time for me to finally replay the whole game.

Sorry I didn't get around to the couple of sound effects requests you made. It looks like there are still a lot of attack sound effects missing, though, so I guess you wouldn't have gotten around to adding multiple sound effects per-attack.

I was quite confused that none of the hotkeys did anything until after the cutscenes in the south forest pass were over and I had left and reentered the map. Nice feature though.

The Linux tarball contains a zero length .rpg file! I assume this is a bug in the Distribute Game menu. In addition, I found that the copy of ohrrpgce-game that was included didn't work on my system (I hadn't tried this since James set this up) --- again, not your fault, looks like some Linux distros have a separate libtinfo.so library depending on how they compile libncurses, and others like mine don't.

I noticed that the copyright date on the titlescreen is "2005,2013", but after pressing any key it changes to 2005, heh.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have reports from a Mac using friend that the Mac version just bounces forever on the dock but never actually starts. He's on 10.6 I think?

I noticed the music volume issue while testing. Not sure what to do about it. It's not even consistent between midis, and tends to drown out the SFX.

Only thing I would think is let people set a max music volume and a max SFX volume so they can mix the SFX higher than the music, and maybe normalize the music output.

edit: I do appreciate you adding the steal fx, which didn't get into this version due to personal events with the person I wanted to record them being more important.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh! I'm not sure why it would just bounce forever, I guess that means it didn't crash or quit.

Music and sound effects volumes are definitely a huge pain, mainly it is the engine's fault for not having an option to adjust them. But the problem is that MIDI volume is often controlled separately in the OS, and the volume of MIDI files relative to everything else with vary between OSes. Worse, Windows Vista (I think) changed the way MIDI volume worked, and I hear that Windows 10 has changed it again, and it works differently yet again in OSX and Linux.

I turned down the volume slightly while playing it. The volume option in the menu actually affects only music, not sound effects! It's a bug, not a feature, but it helps

I mean that I didn't add the steal sound effects, yet. It really is easy, I've just been lazy.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to test the Mac app on my own Mac box, and I immediately noticed that it is only 1.5 megabytes. Looks like the same "Distribute Game" bug that breaks the Linux one is breaking that too.

I tested Distribute Game on my own computer, and it worked fine, which makes me thing it is a windows-only "Distribute Game" bug.

Here are the working files so you have something to give people until we figure out the bug:

http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/sword-of-jade-mac.zip
http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/sword-of-jade-linux.tar.gz

By the way, Super Game Droid did a nice little write-up of the Android version: http://www.supergamedroid.com/2015/08/06/classic-dos-rpg-sword-of-jade-arrives-on-android-for-free/
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put up the fixed versions at the links in the thread OP.

The review is cool... not sure if I'd call Jade 'legendary', there's plenty of ohrrpgce games that are better than SoJ.

At this point I'll push out another update (Decade+) after the next stable release
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: