Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sword of Jade 1.12: Critical attack bug fix!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
Okay, I'll make an attempt to record those tomorrow.

Oh, don't worry about it. Now that I can reproduce the bug on my own computer, I don't need the recordings anymore.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

Also, sending out a request: if anyone wants to, I'd like to have your current or last SoJ save you have. It can be from the original release or the newer ones, early or late game.

Please zip your save and email it to mkidder@gmail.com so I can use it to test upcoming updates.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's the deal with the corruption. Back in 2005 only the beginning of each record in attack.bin was used. SoJ's attack.bin lump contained garbage in the data for the first 16 attacks immediately following the last data field that was in use, Base Defense Stat at offset 58 (see 'DT6'), which was added back in 2002. Everything in the offset range 59-99 is garbage. It looks sort of interesting, strings like "SOJ2 L77", "SOJ2 T78" (names of lumps) plus other gunk. (I eyeballed the rest of the lump and saw no garbage past the 16th attack, but maybe that's worth verifying with a nohrio script).

Starting from Jan 2006 (r245) new data was rapidly added to attack.bin. Finally in July 2006 it was reported here that at least a couple games including SoJ contained garbage in the previously unused fields. At that point (r665) Mike made the upgrade process blank out the unused data, but only for the then-still-used part of attack.bin plus the most recently added data: he blanked out offsets 93-99.

So that leaves offsets 59-92 (inclusive) as potentially either garbage or real data. Unfortunately this range contains tonnes of stuff: spell descriptions, tag setting and conditions and 22 bitsets. So there are lots of bitsets you need to blank out, though it should only take a few minutes.

So we need to blank out the whole 59-99 range for games older than Jan 2006. (This will only fix playing the original 2005 SoJ version with modern versions (as well as assumably other games), but will have no effect on updated versions of SoJ.) Unfortunately figuring out how old a game is usually very difficult since the RPG format contains almost no information about that, and back then we actually believed that we should avoid incrementing version numbers if at all possible!!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that it's possible to detect games older than Jan 18th 2006, which is very nearly the right cutoff for the addition of the new attack data fields.

So I wrote a nohrio/rpgbatch script to scan CP's gamelists for games with garbage in attack.bin. Output summary:

Code:
Run 1: Finished in 89.13 s
Scanned 1150 zips (16 bad)
Found 1190 RPGS, 6 corrupt, (1064 unique, totalling 3691.0 MB)

Of the 296 newest games, 4 had garbage in the unused attack bits
Of 62 early-2006 games, 0 had attack.bin garbage
Of 487 older games with attack.bin, 3 had attack.bin garbage
Of the remaining, 213 did not have attack.bin, 1 were bad

So it's not as prevalent as I had thought, though it's a mystery. I'll add some extra upgrade logic for it, though of course we can't fix or detect all games with garbage.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 4/14

- Tried to clean up corrupted attacks some more (will look into this more later)
- Minor text correction
- Updated to latest stable engine version, so the game inherits whatever fixes that version provides

Script cleanup still in progress. I'll upload the WIP to

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/swordofjade/jadescripts.zip

Currently only contains cleaned-up TimeSys. They still don't compile, I'll mention when they actually do.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say thanks to our engine programmers!

There might be an update before the script re-writes are finished to accomodate Android players, but I'll play it more on Android before committing to anything, see where the strengths/weaknesses are.
jackcmedia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance for the downloads to work again?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a copy of the most recent (14-04-2013) version that was hosted at fyrewulff.com (nor the scripts). But the previous version to that (24-03-2013) is still available for download from SlimeSalad. The manual is also still available. I updated SoJ's page on the wiki with the latest information.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the download links not working currently. To sum it up:

fyrewulff.com is still a domain that works

technically it has hosting (as you can tell if you try to go to it)

it was sharing hosting space with another website. A partner and I had to finally kill that hosting due to ~~things~~. Since he controls the fyrewulff.com domain and I don't (which I don't mind, it was because he could get it for a dollar), he has to make it work via our new hosting, and couldn't quite figure out how to make it stop redirecting and actually work.

Then we got caught up in business and work life kerfluffle (ongoing) and fixing fyrewulff.com fell to extremely low priority. I'll post in this thread again once it's sorted. When it's fixed all the usual links will work.
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fyre.
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site has finally been fixed. All the links should work again

Thank you for your patience.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool; I've changed the wiki links back.

The 10 year anniversary is coming up fast... not much time for a special edition
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be some sort of token update/thing for the 10 year anniversary, currently seeing what I can do with the time available
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should totally get the Android version up and running

If I remember there were only 2 issues holding us up.

1) Trying to get a version of the music that both sounds good and keeps the final apk size smaller than 50 mb. (I am confident that this won't be that hard, after doing it with a couple other games.)

2) The long load time on the first-run. I think this is no longer an issue. I already have it as fast as it is going to get, and it is especially not an issue after we have solved #1
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool, would also get someone to make unique touchscreen buttons for the game (is there a template someone I can send to them?) and would add to the "as many platforms as possible"

edit: nm I found the template

Windows
Mac
Linux
MSDOS (based off Hasta+, I actually already have this version ready to go)

edit: i will probably also look for midis or smaller oggs for the ogg music I put in earlier to slim it down. But I'm also fine if Jade just remains as an apk people can side-load.

edit2: tech-sidenote-trivia: the dos version is actually built off a direct upgrade of the original 2005 version to Hasta+, while the current Jade for all other platforms is built off the jade file that's been through almost every single engine upgrade transition and tinkered with via experiments from me/char from quaternion to now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: