Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sword of Jade 1.12: Critical attack bug fix!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can't delete it because of the crash..

Also, more of the songs will be restored. I'm attempting to locate the original MIDIs where applicable instead of the converted BAM versions.

Right now I'm waiting for map layer copying to be implemented so I can convert the maps to proper layers on a human timescale. The HSS files are being re-written so they can actually be usable again, at the moment it's kind of useless to include them.

Once the script rewrite (well, not so much a rewrite as refactoring), music replacement, and layer work is done, I'll post it again here and then post the game to Slime Salad.

As a note, it'd be nice if there was a master sound level for Sound Effects. Or am I missing it? It's kind of hard to balance the volume of the SFX since it seems to always be at max, so if you mute the music it's too loud, then the music up at a decent level drowns out the SFX..
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
Yeah I can't delete it because of the crash..

What is the ID number of the crashing song (I assume it is a super-short song, crashing because of http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=797 ?)
jcenterprises

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's song 1, (right after song 0) game crashes as soon as you switch to it in Custom. The game also crashes during the end of the Proem sometimes, when the screen flashes red when Katina kicks Scarf.

Also, Clash ends battles abruptly in this version, although this is actually a helpful bug and can easily be fixed in Custom anyway.

Also, any idea if the game still crashes when you load a save in Cyport just before the Katina conversation minigame?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about unlumping, deleting jade.1 (which is the bam in song slot 0) and then relumping. Does that fix the crash?

Also, if this is the crash I think it is, playing with the music_native backend should avoid the crash http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nightly/ohrrpgce-wip-directx-native.zip
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into that and the Clash bug tonight or tomorrow
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleting jade.1 while unlumped did the trick, that song no longer crashes custom (and I'm assuming GAME).

All of the distribution files have been updated. Same links as always.

More soundtrack was restored.

Could not figure out what's going on with Clash. I compared it in Custom to the original file which I use as a reference, and it all looks the same. So unless my inexperience with the battle engine is failing me or something happened in the upgrade process, I'll have to look at it some other time.. going through a crunch right now at work
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Clash attack causes the battle to just end suddenly?

Look in the attack bitsets, and see if any of the following are turned on:

"Cause heroes to run away"
"Force victory"
"Force battle exit (no run animation)"

If none of those is turned on, look in Chaining, and see if the attack has an Instead-Chain pointing to another attack that has one of those bits turned on.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed the issue!

Now for the bad news... it seems to be a bug introduced by the upgrade process. Force Victory was set to 'on' in my reference jade.rpg, which didn't seem right.

So I downloaded the 2006 version of the game off my castleparadox account, and loaded it in. Force Victory was set to on there, too. "Hmm, that's wrong".

So I downloaded Hasta La QB+, which was the OHR version right before the timestamps of the 2006 version (Sept 13 2006). Load it up, no future version warnings or upgrading, so this seems to be correct. It appears the force victory bitset did not exist in this version.

So then I download Ubersetzung, the only major version released in 2007. the force victory bitset doesn't seem to be there either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems at some point an engine version adds the Force Victory bitset to that attack in the upgrade process. It should be noted that as soon as the version that adds attack descriptions, Jade has junk file data in the description fields. Is it possible that junk ended up in other fields, falsely setting them to 'on' in future version?

I've uploaded the 2006 .rpgdir:
http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/swordofjade/jade.rpgdir_ref.zip

Unless I'm missing the Force Victory bitset being converted from a setting that used to exist elsewhere, an OHRRPGCE version along the line suddenly made Sword of Jade significantly easier.

edit: fixed link

Last edited by FyreWulff on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that does sound like an upgrade bug. When new bitsets are added, they are supposed to always default to off. I am not sure why Force Victory defaulted to on.

Was Clash the only affected attack? Or do other attacks have that bitset turned on too?
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 2,236 attacks, so this might take a bit..

It's on in Def Up (2)
Dodge up (3)
SpeedUp (6)
HPup(10)..
SPup(11)..
Clash2(14)..

.. okay, I haven't found any with that bitset on after that yet. Interestingly, 14 is the last one with junk in the 2006 file in it's description.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken down http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/jade.rpgdir_ref.zip already? I couldn't download it.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, screwed up the link... should have been

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/swordofjade/jade.rpgdir_ref.zip
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated again

-unbroke the fralin daytime tree graphics from the false start layer conversion (waiting for layer copying to make it in)

- removed the Force Victory bitset from attacks

edit: secret update early morning

replaced one of the ogg tracks with a different track that I thought worked better. It's also significantly smaller, so all the distributions just shrank 4-6MB in size.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 3 update

- Rest of the soundtrack music authored by OHR community members restored. Still a good portion of muted tracks, though.

- Game Longname changed to 'Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams'
- Game Description changed to show version number and last update date

(this will make it easier to distinguish between this and the legacy version for people that wish to keep that one)

- Credits updated to reflect soundtrack restoration and removal of credit for a track due to a request by it's author

- Logo screens updated for 2013

Now starting on script cleanup
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fyrewulff, about the music. Have you been asking around for new composers to help you finish off the original soundtrack? Just curious. I'm sure there are plenty of newer people who would love to contribute to Sword of Jade, since it's sort of a prestigious title and you could probably get your pick of the litter with them. Personally, I think you should set your sights on Glock and Mr. 8-bit, who composed DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons of all things. Now, I don't think they compose MIDIs, so that may or may not be a problem. But they seem to understand what a game needs musically, and they might enjoy composing for a game that has been professionally polished. Just a thought. Most of the musicians in the community lurk on Slime Salad more than they do here, so you may want to stop over there when you get the chance. Good luck with the upgrades.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: