Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Heart of the OHR Contest 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Heart of the OHR Contest 2012 Reply with quote

Heart of the OHR Contest

2012 Edition

Yes, the time has finally come. Congratulations to those who have been waiting for it.

A Brief History as Written in 2010:

HotOHR 2010 Thread wrote:
It seems that as times change, interests start moving in new directions, and the things that first captured our hearts and attention about indie-RPG design had since faded into obscurity.

Toward the end of the ‘90s and the early part of this decade [2000s], RPGs were king, and were incidentally, the only thing the OHR was capable of making. And then, as the decade continued, RPGs became less common, less desired, and soon the rate of releases made on the engine went from a sprint to a crawl.

Then, in about 2006 or 2007, the limits of the OHR began to change, and new life formed. Sidescrollers were now not only possible, but easier to make. Puzzle games, menu-based games, and even street fighting games were beginning to surface in droves throughout the course of three years. And during this time the course of the OHR RPG began to fall. RPGs were released on occasion, but the presence of one became rare, and almost surprising. And even then, the likelihood of it being a joke game was high. No, the integrity of the epic vacation gave way to a cheap day-trip, and by 2009 the nature of the RPG had become nearly absent.

[In June 2010], Surlaw and I were discussing the disappointment of creating huge games, which translates to many, many hours of development time (read: three years or more for some games), that people refuse to play because it requires them to fight random battles (that aren’t titillating 100% of the time), or read text (of any length), or spend more than a few hours of game time in order to finish it. Authors who put the level of time and attention that goes into a quality game, just to have it go unplayed because of an unwillingness to read (for example), are highly disheartened, and certain OHR gems have gone unfinished because the author experiences What’s-the-Point? Syndrome.

This, of course, has contributed to the huge decline of RPGs—and especially in the quality RPGs—in our opinion, and that should be shocking when one considers we’re a community focused on an RPG making engine.

Even James Paige once expressed a slight disappointment in the gradual reduction of games that actually use the default features to, you know, make an RPG.

That is what the OHRRPGCE was made for.

Now, this isn’t to knock the surge in alternative gaming styles. I loved Slimes. The games released for the 2009 8-Bit Contest were brilliant. But look at how many good RPGs came out in 2009. Okedoke, and, um….

It’s hard to say whether the modern RPG is dying or just in a slump, but we’d like to see this giant of yesteryear make at least one more stand in the community. So, I am proposing the “Heart of the OHR Contest,” which is a contest, quite simply, about making the best RPGs we can make with the engine that brought us here in the first place.

Rules:

-Must be an RPG. This is a zero rule. What categorizes as an RPG can be left open for debate, but at the end of the day it must be an RPG. In 2010, we saw one game stretch the limit of what we considered acceptable (Do You Want to Be a Hero?). For a complete list of the games that made the cut in 2010, consult the following link:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Heart_of_the_OHR

-NonRPGs not permitted. (See Above)

-Joke games not permitted (though funny ones are okay).

-Special scripting is okay (as long as it doesn't turn the RPG into a nonRPG).

-Game must have at least 30 minutes of playtime with a good chunk of that devoted to story (in other words, 30 minutes without level grinding).

-Updates to previous RPGs permitted.

-Updates to previous RPGs need at least 30 minutes of new content to be eligible. Changing a textbox to an old two-hour game and re-releasing it doesn’t make it eligible.

-Fan games and parodies discouraged, but not forbidden. Original stories preferred.

RPG Release Categories:

In 2010 every entry was lumped into the same category and judged under the same conditions regardless of originality versus the rereleased. This year I am altering the rules slightly to accommodate for release types.

Original Games:

These are the games that have never been publicly released prior to June 1, 2012. These are the easiest to judge since the ground is fresh. We had eight original entries in 2010, including the Game of the Year winner, Motrya. The winner of this category will get the top prizes.

Rereleased Games:

These games have been unleashed on the community before June 1, 2012, and are making a second life appearance in the Heart of the OHR Contest. These will receive most of the same basic prizes as the original games, but cash prizes may not be as readily available. Any original game that was released for the 2010 contest will automatically default to this category if reentered for 2012. In 2010 we had four rereleased games.

OHR Legends:

This special category is reserved for the games that have been released prior to July 1, 2010, and resubmitted as Heart of the OHR entries that same year. Right now there are four games eligible for this category: Vikings of Midgard, Do You Want to Be a Hero?, Okedoke, and Tales of the New World II. Should any of these games be submitted this year, they will automatically default to the OHR Legends category. These games will only receive one prize.

Release Dates:

Unlike traditional contests, “Heart of the OHR” will not require a start time or an end time per se. Rather, this will adopt the “release window” technique made popular with Game-a-thon, in that any RPG released within the window is eligible (provided it meets the above standards).

Window begins June 1st and ends November 30th.

I will allow a one-week grace period for bug-fixing. Entries must be ready for voting by December 7th.

All deadlines will expire at 6am EST the following day.

Voting:

Voting will run from December 16 - December 31 (I'll extend this to a few extra days in January if any holiday vacationers need the extra time.)

Note that I will not close voting until I have a minimum of 10 votes, so if the deadline comes and goes and I have fewer than that, voting will remain open until the minimum is met. I want all contestants to have a fair playthrough and comment/critique/score for their games.

The way we handle votes will likely change from the 2010 contest. I am still considering an alternative method from the previous way.

For full details on how it used to be, consult the following post:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71778#71778

To see an ongoing discussion about what voting may become, consult this post:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89911#89911

Prizes:

Because RPGs are harder to come by these days (especially in contests), I thought it’s only fair to combat the odds with prizes that don’t suck. Therefore, various members of the community have agreed to give special bonuses to entrants and the winner.

Just by entering a game into the contest, the contestant will get to choose a bugfix or feature request to be put on the December 1st bug bounty. The winner will get to choose a second bug or feature request to be implemented ASAP (pending feasibility). Because the window is so large, James has agreed that no request is unreasonable at this time.

Here’s how it works:

During a time frame decided on by James, you may post your bugfix or feature request here so that he can start working toward implementing it. You may only choose one, so pick wisely. Once you choose your request, you are then expected to release a quality RPG (fitting the above standards) by November 30th to receive your entry prize. The prize, of course, is a ransom for the bug or feature request you posted here if it’s not implemented by December 1st. If your bug is not fixed by the deadline, then you get whatever James decides to pay for ransoms. And that’s just for entering the contest! The winner will get to request a second bugfix or feature once the votes are in.

Note: James is in charge of how the bug bounty system works, including what to pay out for failure to implement, and when requests will no longer be accepted. For questions regarding this prize, please ask him for clarification.

You may view the current requests here:

http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/User:Bob_the_Hamster/HeartBugs

All release categories eligible for this prize.

The winner will also get a HamsterSpeak cover devoted to his winning entry or the game of his choice for the January 2013 issue. Artist is unknown at this point, but we’ll happily take volunteers. I’d also, if possible, like to offer the winner a second piece of artwork about his game for the magazine, but only if a second artist volunteers.

Highest ranked game will receive this prize regardless of release category.

Thirdly, the winner will receive either slime bucks or an increase to the stat of his or her choice for the Slime Salad Arena.

Both category winners will receive this prize.

Fourthly, the winning game will be featured for Slime Salad’s game of the month (pending author’s acceptance) for January or February 2013.

Prize eligible for original game category winner only. Rereleased game winner can negotiate for the following month if it doesn't break Game of the Month standards.

Fifthly, if I’m not broke by then, the winner will receive some extra cash as a cherry on top. I’ll determine the amount by then, but it will probably be conditional on the number of games that are actually submitted.

If prize is awarded (I'm usually broke), it will be for original game category winner only.

Sixthly, anyone out there can add to the prize pot if he or she has something to offer, so feel free to help make this into a treasure trove of winnings if you want to, and if you have the resources for it.

Specifically I'd like to see:
-cash prizes
-fan art
-theme song about the winning game(s)

Note: Community member BMR has volunteered to produce fan art for the winning entry.

Seventhly, as an added bonus to the contestants, all entrants will receive a T-shirt, courtesy of Inferior Minion, with the Heart of the OHR, Castle Paradox, Slime Salad, and HamsterSpeak logos branded on the fabric. This way you can celebrate the return of the RPG, and become a walking advertisement!

Note: Although I have confirmed this with IM a couple of months ago, I have not heard a word from him in several weeks, so I am only assuming this prize is still on the table.

Eighthly, community member Momoka is offering bonus prizes to the game that can present the single best dungeon of the contest (per his OHR Dungeon contest, which I think is partly standalone but mostly integrated with this contest). This prize is not given exclusively to the winning entry, but to the one that has the best newly-designed dungeon. I believe this side contest is open to entrants in all three categories. Consult the official thread for rules and details: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5171

Note: If you would like to add to the prize pot for other specific design features, let me know and I will edit in your offers.

Ninthly, community member Mystic has decided to give $5 to four contestants who meet specific design criteria that he will look for mysteriously. Cross your fingers that you're one of them. Consult this post for specific details: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94629#94629

Special Prize for OHR Legends releases:

Any game categorized as an OHR Legends release will receive a special trophy classifying it as such. This is strictly a prestige award, but it will remind future players of the game's longevity. This trophy will receive "levels" each time it's awarded to a specific game. OHR Legends releases should still meet the 30 minutes of additional game time rule to be eligible for the trophy.

So, as you can see, it would be crazy not to join and make something for the Heart of the OHR Contest, so take the chance. Nominating a bugfix or feature request confirms your intention to join. Just remember that there will be no ransom paid on unresolved bugs if you drop out. So make something and stick with it. Don’t procrastinate, either. Games that don’t meet the above standards will also forfeit the ransom.

Tips:

Release the best game you’re capable of making. The community doesn’t want to see or play throwaway titles anymore. Do your best to make a quality game. While you shouldn’t be intimidated by this, you still need to be aware that games like Wandering Hamster and Motrya are just as capable of making an appearance during the contest window as any game, so make it your best if you want the winning prizes.

Have fun. Please use this thread to post your bugfix or feature requests for James and the developers, and use it to announce your RPG releases starting on June 1st. And I’d appreciate it if this thread were stickied until the end of the year. Thanks.

I will update this thread periodically as new information comes. Good luck, everyone.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do plan to submit an update to Wandering Hamster to the "Rereleased Games" category.

Here is how the bugfix/feature request prizes work:

* You don't have to win the contest, you just have to enter an eligible game into the contest within the time limits

* You can request any OHRRPGCE engine feature or bugfix you want. (but requesting something really difficult doesn't magically make me able to do it)

* I will assign a cash value to each request, small values like $5 for very difficult requests, and larger values like $30 for easy requests. If I fail to implement your request, I will pay you the bounty. (this might happen if there are too many requests, or if some of the requests are too difficult)

* It is silly for two people to request the same bugfix/feature, but if you really want to, I won't stop you (it happened twice in the 2010 contest)

* I will be listing everybody's requests here: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/User:Bob_the_Hamster/HeartBugs_2012 (You can also look at the 2010 version of the same page if you want to see what people requested last time, and what actually got implemented.)

* If I implement your feature or fix your bug before the contest ends, that doesn't mean you get a second request ;)

* The winners of the two categories (New Game, Updated Game) will win an additional request, but don't worry about that until after the voting is over.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate important information about the bug bounties, you will need to get your requests in early if you're to expect a fair response. At some point it will be too late to request them, so start thinking about what you want to see the engine fix or accomplish soon. James will eventually have to implement a cut-off date at his discretion.

Going off of the 2010 template, it's a good idea to explain what you want, and what game you plan to submit in order to collect your fix/feature or bounty. (You can change the game if you're working on more than one, of course, but it's nice to have an idea what we can expect come end of November.)

Don't forget, merely announcing a title doesn't guarantee a fix or a bounty. It only gives James something to work toward. Also, regardless of how many titles you have time to submit during the window, you can only collect one fix/feature or bounty for this contest, or two if you win it.

James, you'll have to clarify whether both category winners are eligible for a second request or just the original category winner (assuming you're playing favorites Happy). Because the OHR Legends games (assuming we have any) won't be eligible for a vote, they won't be eligible for a second fix, but they can still qualify for the submission bounty (and the T-shirt if IM gets back to me soon) if they're rereleased on time.

Also, a reminder about late entries:

We had two late entries in 2010. Late entries will be accepted into the contest (until as late as December 7th), but will forfeit the paid bug bounties and possibly the T-shirts, though IM was gracious enough to give out T-shirts to the late folks anyway. Make sure you release something by November 30th to keep your entry prizes.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I love to join this year's contest. I really like the reward... Is something like this possible as a reward:

Feature: Equipment items in all slots can hold items that may function as weapons. And each slot's attack may appear in the battle skills. Slot 0 is attack(the topmost slot right?), a slot 1 command will appear if the right item is equipped, the same for slots 2 and 3.

- Like, say, in my entry, I'm making a character called Blade Collector and his equipment in all slots can be all swords. When you get into a fight you can use ice sword in slot 1, fire sword in slot 2, etc. I have been taught how to do this using plotscripting but if all slots can contain weapons then i won't have to make long scripts and focus more on making the rpg... and i guess it'd be more fun to make a hundred different swords. :-D

and: for mecha games, the other slots can be shoulder weapon, shield gun, concealed cannon, extra flamer, etc...

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BlastedEarth, glad to see you're interested in joining the contest. You often present interesting game ideas.

Just a note to everyone else, I've modified the prize section to include Momoka's addition, which you can read about under the section beginning with "eighthly."

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update for everyone who's entering or thinking about entering. James and I are officially posting the bugfix/feature request deadline for Halloween. If you haven't made your request by then, you're out of luck. So, if you haven't thought about it yet, you might want to start.

How is everyone doing with their games, by the way? No one's really talked about them much since the contest's announcement. Are you still working pretty diligently on them? You've got three months and three weeks to finish if you've lost track of time.

Also, let me know if anyone's released a game that might've slipped past my knowledge that should be on the contest list. So far I know of three official releases:

Universal Wars
Illusions
Vikings of Midgard (for the OHR Legends category)

Are there any others that should be on the list?

Remember, if you release a game for the contest, you get a free bugfix or feature for the engine, or a cash reward if James doesn't implement it by December 31st.

If you're not sure if you posted a request but meant to, here's the updated chart to remind you:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/User:Bob_the_Hamster/HeartBugs_2012

Keep going, guys. Start drumming up some advertisements for your games if you need the incentive to work on them.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two reminders to give you guys:

1. Tomorrow is the absolute last day you can place your bugfix / feature requests for James. If you haven't placed one yet, do not procrastinate any longer -- you are out of time.

2. You have one month left to post the initial release of your entry. You'll still have an additional week to make any last minute changes you might need to perfect what you have, but if you plan on entering, you must post within the next 31 days to qualify.

Good luck on the final stretch. I hope more of you will start hyping up your entries soon. I'm interested to see what you all are planning to put out here.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to remind everyone that your games need to be online in some form (either here on Castle Paradox, Slime Salad, or someplace you can easily link us to) by the end of this Friday (or Saturday morning at 6am EST) to be eligible for the Heart of the OHR.

We won't start the judging phase until December 8th, so you'll have a week to fix your games according to the bugs that players report to you. Whatever version you have online as of December 7th (Dec. 8, 6am EST) will be the version that people will be expected to vote on.

Don't forget to announce your releases in this thread, or in the one on Slime Salad as you upload them. If you've already uploaded a game fitting for this contest, please announce it again (with links) so that we have a reminder of what's entering so we can start giving you feedback now in preparation for the December 7th bugfix deadline. Thanks.

And good luck on the home stretch.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are still monitoring this thread, I just need to confirm the eligibility of some games.

So far it looks like the current games eligible are as follows (please let me know if I'm missing anything):

Original:

Universal Wars by jcenterprises
Illusions by MasterK
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons by KF Harlock and Shizuma
Reign of Grelok by misac
Legacy by BMR
Super Penguin Chef by Mogri

Rereleased:

Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver

OHR Legends:

Vikings of Midgard by Fenrir-Lunaris

The following games might be eligible according to the release window, but I know nothing about their intentions toward this contest. Could the authors confirm or deny their place in the Heart of the OHR 2012?

If you're confirming, please let me know if this is an original release or a rerelease of a game that was online before June 1, 2012.

Doom: Evil Unleashed by thespazztikone
Spirit Chronicles RIFT Demo by alphawolf
Final Dragon Legacy by mjohnson092088
Pearl Tear by Sparrowhawk (on Castle Paradox only)
Abel by BlastedEarth (on Castle Paradox only)
Ephixial by killertriforce007 (on Castle Paradox only)

Thanks. I look forward to seeing the remaining entries. You've got less than three days to post something, but no pressure.

Tightfloss Maiden

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth entered, his feature request is in this thread (which James has put on the HeartBugs page).

Too bad Abel is already cancelled though Sad... Not sure if that was the first release.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I need to find out. I also need to find out if the current version has more content than the earlier release if there was an earlier release. I'll check back issues of HamsterSpeak to see if it was posted before, and unless BlastedEarth gets back to me before December 7th (BE, if you're reading this, please get back to me ASAP), I'll take it in good faith that the game has content previously unreleased prior to June 1st.

I've discovered that Final Dragon Legacy is both officially entered and entered as a rerelease, so I'll be updating the lists soon. Also, Ephixial doesn't meet the minimum requirements, so it won't qualify anyway. I'm not sure about Pearl Tear or Spirit Chronicles yet. Both authors should get back to me by the 7th if they want their games considered (and they'll have to clarify if there were other versions of them online before June 1st). Doom: Evil Unleashed I have a feeling is eligible, but I want to hear from its author first.

Lastly, Inferior Minion, if you're reading this, I do need to know if the T-shirts are still a prize. Please respond soon. Thanks.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, guys, the inevitable moment is here. The first deadline had passed. Any game you submit between now and the morning of December 8th will still be allowed into the contest, but without the bug bounty reward in tow.

Here is the official list of games, authors, and download links for your convenience:

Original:

Universal Wars by jcenterprises
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5169

Illusions by MasterK
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5182

DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons by KF Harlock and Shizuma
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5197

Reign of Grelok by misac
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5127

Legacy by BMR
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5267

Super Penguin Chef by Mogri
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5419

AR-PUH-GUH! by Meowskivich
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5428

Kinvesard: Epilogue of the Princess by Spoonweaver
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5430

Dreg Sector: The Tract by Willy Elektrix
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5432

NO MORE VILLAINS by Fenrir-Lunaris
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5433

Cool Guy Bob Surlaw by The Wobbler
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5436

The K'hyurbhi Lands by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5440

Silhouette by Mystic
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5441

Rereleased:

Abel by BlastedEarth
Download at: http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=1059

Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3972

Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3916

OHR Legends:

Vikings of Midgard by Fenrir-Lunaris
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=38

Unless someone sneaks in a late entry or verifies any of the three games I'm still uncertain about, this is the official game list for Heart of the OHR 2012.

Be sure to keep leaving feedback for the authors to help them improve their games for the final push to December 7th. Remember, we are NOT at the voting stage yet, so suppress the urge to start ranking games until the 8th. Thanks.

Whoever wants to edit the Wiki with the new list of games, downloads, and special comments about the contest (to model the 2010 entry), please do.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I haven't heard anyone make a formal request to extend the bugfix deadline another week due to lack of player feedback, so I will count this contest officially closed with one exception. If anyone encounters a game-breaking bug, or if a player reports one between now and the 14th, I will allow the author to fix it and resubmit and count that toward the contest. But only the game-breaking bugs. Additions and cosmetic fixes will only be accepted between now and the 14th if they come packaged with a fix for something game-breaking.

The voting period doesn't officially begin until December 16th, so if you still haven't played them all, you have another week to form your opinions. Remember, you're gonna vote on the games according to how they're released as of today (with the exception of those that have game-breaking bugs -- allow authors one more week to fix those). So, if you've played an earlier released version, be aware that the latest fixes may affect your vote for better or for worst.

Games that have been updated during the bugfix window:

Universal Wars - improved gameplay and new dungeon
Super Penguin Chef - major update with many fixes
Cool Guy Bob Surlaw - major update with many fixes
Legacy (v0.3.7) - mostly cosmetic
The K'hyurbhi Lands - debug keys removed
Kinvesard: Epilogue of the Princess - spells/attacks and minor bugs
Legendary Heroes - some gameplay fixes, including two major subplots

So, if you've already played these games, you may want to check them out again to be sure you still feel the same way about them as you did a week ago.

For the rereleased games, remember that you're voting mainly on the new content, though it's okay to vote on the game as a whole if it's unclear where the new content begins. Just remember to play the whole game if you can.

I know that new content in Legendary Heroes begins after you get on the turtle. I'm not sure about the other two, but if anyone can give us information on the matter, that would be great.

So, that's it for now. I'll open the voting period next week, but you're welcome to start forming your list today now that the entries are official. Remember that you'll want to make two lists: one for originals and one for the rereleased.

Starting in 2014, the bugfix window will be two weeks long, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks to everyone who participated this year. With the inclusion of one OHR Legends release, we had 17 entries in total, five more than we had in 2010. Impressive, guys. Hopefully those of you who wanted to submit something but ran out of time this year can have something ready by the next contest. Start working on your 2014 entries soon, including your rereleases, which I hope will have more entries next time.

Now, keep playing those games. Stay tuned for information about voting. I'll be explaining how that'll work soon.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guys, the time has come to give this contest some extra meaning. That's right, the voting period is now open.

Here's a copy/paste of the voting conditions according to my initial post launching the contest:

Heart of the OHR Contest Description wrote:
Voting will run from December 16 - December 31 (I'll extend this to a few extra days in January if any holiday vacationers need the extra time.)

Note that I will not close voting until I have a minimum of 10 votes, so if the deadline comes and goes and I have fewer than that, voting will remain open until the minimum is met. I want all contestants to have a fair playthrough and comment/critique/score for their games.

The way we handle votes will likely change from the 2010 contest. I am still considering an alternative method from the previous way.

For full details on how it used to be, consult the following post:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71778#71778

To see an ongoing discussion about what voting may become, consult this post:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89911#89911

So, the things you need to remember are that votes will be accepted between now and December 31st. If I have fewer than 10 votes by the end, then I will leave voting open until we break 10.

The thread debating how voting should work was confusing and I didn't really feel like it had accomplished anything, so I won't be making any significant changes to the voting system after all. The biggest difference from 2010 is that we will vote in two categories rather than in one lump sum.

Here, once again, are the games eligible for vote. Games with asterisks next to them were updated during the bugfix period. Games with double asterisks were updated post-bugifx, but the fixes were required for playability and are therefore still eligible for vote in its current form.

Original:

Universal Wars* by jcenterprises
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5169

Illusions by MasterK
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5182

DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons** by KF Harlock and Shizuma
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5197

Reign of Grelok by misac
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5127

Legacy* by BMR
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5267

Super Penguin Chef* by Mogri
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5419

AR-PUH-GUH! by Meowskivich
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5428

Kinvesard: Epilogue of the Princess* by Spoonweaver
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5430

Dreg Sector: The Tract by Willy Elektrix
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5432

NO MORE VILLAINS by Fenrir-Lunaris
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5433

Cool Guy Bob Surlaw* by The Wobbler
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5436

The K'hyurbhi Lands* by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5440

Silhouette** by Mystic
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=5441

Rereleased:

Abel by BlastedEarth
Download at: http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=1059

Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3972

Legendary Heroes* by Spoonweaver
Download at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3916

Remember, every vote counts. If you don't vote for a game, you'll improve its average, potentially sending it closer to first place.

Voting will be on a points system. If you think it's perfect, give it a 10. If you think it couldn't be worse, give it a 1. Everything in between, rate accordingly.

You will be voting in two categories, Original and Rereleased. For rereleased, vote according to the new content (or content that's new to you if you've never played the game before). For original, vote for the game as a whole.

Again, it's very important that you play every game before finalizing your vote. I will allow edits if you wish to score as you go, but your vote will be automatically finalized on January 1st, so stay on top of it.

I don't care what order you list a game. The 1-10 "rating" is the one that matters here. I will be averaging the total score by number of votes for that game. The fewer votes a game receives, the higher you as a community may inevitably score it. (This is what happened to Vikings of Midgard in 2010. It received second place because only five people voted on it, and each of them voted it high.) If you want your vote to count, you need to vote for every game.

Once voting is closed, I will compile the list into a chart similar to the one I did for 2010's contest. Because HamsterSpeak is no more, I'll either publish the results in the new OHR Blog or the contest wiki.

You can vote here or through PM.

Good luck to the contestants. If your game is not getting voted on, urge your fellow game players to get on it. Everyone deserves a fair vote.

Tightfloss Maiden

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scores are compiled and the official results feature will be released soon. I just have to add in the "Audience Consensus" segment to each game before I can call it a wrap.

If you've agreed to host a prize, please review the prize section on Page 1 of this thread to see what you're offering. A few prizes will either have to change or dissolve thanks to a few adjustments to the community, including the end of HamsterSpeak and the silence of Inferior Minion (who was going to give you all T-shirts originally), but there's no reason why we can't fill those voids with new prizes.

If you're covering one of the "side quest" prizes, aka Best Villain and Best Dungeon, you'll have to review the thread for those votes. To me it doesn't look like there's much of a consensus on that, but if you still want to give voters time to vote on that, that's your prerogative.

Mystic, I have no idea what you are looking for for your special conditional prize, but hopefully you'll let us in on your secret.

TheCube, I will send you the results for the Hamster Burrow in the next day or two. I just need to know whether I should send it with the screenshot .PNGs or if you can directly post on your blog what's in the document file. The Wobbler usually needed the files before he could post the screenshots on HamsterSpeak. Let me know.

If anyone wants to add to the prize pot, you still can. Call it a thank you to the winner(s) for making such excellent games.

Having said that, I'd like to thank my prize suppliers for their willingness to contribute: James, Mogri, Momoka, Fenrir-Lunaris, Mystic, and Inferior Minion. If I've left anyone out, please let me know so I can thank you, too.

Feel free to comment on the contest as a whole if you'd like. Is there anything you'd like to see done differently in 2014? Any particular type of games you hope will make an original appearance, or currently unfinished titles that you'd like to see enter the rereleased category? Which games should make the OHR Legends ranking next time? Sound off.

Note: If you've been reading this post on Castle Paradox only, there is a much livelier discussion on Slime Salad that has spanned 34 pages so far. You can see the whole topic discussion here:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Tightfloss Maiden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: