Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Double sized sprites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMR
Aspiring Megalomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Double sized sprites Reply with quote

Now, I'm sure I've seen games that do it before, but I just can't for the love of me remember which ones they are. If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction so I can study how it's done and create my own script for doing the same?

I remember it had something to do with using two walkabout sprites cleverly synchronized to move together with keypresses. That much I can probably figure out with the hero moving around, but it would seem my cleverness does not extend to NPCs or anything else, hehe.

Cheers!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the old, painful, buggy, complicated way (first used by Moogle's Metamorphosis). These days ('nightly builds' for Alectormancy) we're most of the way to built-in support for larger sprites, so it requires just a very short script.

In the nightly builds, all heroes and NPCs are drawn using slices. Since you've been gone a while, you might not know what they are; you can look at the 'Slices' article on the wiki. So you just need to modify the slice for each walkabout on the map.

James uploaded an example game at http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=4255. I don't think that there's any article on the wiki about it yet.

If you want your walkabout sprites to be larger than 32x40, then that is possible as well, but you will need to do the walking animations via script, in a loop. (James' script works because hero battle sprites and walkabout sprites both have 8 frames... which is kind of appalling)
BMR
Aspiring Megalomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sweet, that does seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Indeed, I have no idea what slices are in the least, thanks for the heads-up.

*insert Batman music here*

To the documentation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum