Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Looking to hire an OHRRPGCE plotscripter.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Looking to hire an OHRRPGCE plotscripter. Reply with quote

Hi there. I began to make a nice little game with the OHRRPGCE and put in a huge amount of time... maps, graphics, I even composed a good amount of half decent music for it. This was some time ago and it has been sitting and bugging me. I still have a bunch of work to do with some maps and character sprites/animated tiles and music. I'd also have to throw a script together.

The deal is I'm working 60+ hours a week now and even if I did finish the above mentioned work then all the elements/events/chests/dialogue,switches.... what have you would need to be done.

I did a lot of RPGmaker2000 stuff long ago, have forgotten that and not sure how similar it would be. Just think it would be best to find the right person for the job.

I am not asking for a volunteer, I will pay, via paypal, in increments as work progresses. I want someone with a lot of experience. The game is fashioned/modeled after Dragon Warrior for the NES. You won't make a ton of money but if you have the time, experience and desire then a little cash can't hurt either. Just one person needed. Will be alot of hours I believe, I guess it depends on how good you are.

There are over 20 main towns, castles, dungeons on one large continent to give you a little idea of the size. I've tried to be larger than Dragon Warrior 1, probably about double the size.

If I can't find someone to assist then all the work and a possible great little game will never be.

Thanks

Kevin

Post here if interested/questions.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Sounds like interesting game; it would be a pity if it is never released.

Based on your brief description, it's a large amount of pretty basic scripting. I don't personally have the time for such a project. Anyway, do you know about Slime Salad? You should try asking over there too.
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: A little more on what is done... Reply with quote

Hi Mad Cacti, thanks for the reply. I may make it there, this seemed the best place to post it.... anyone from this message board can feel free to share this topic elsewhere.

You are right in your description. A lot of basic coding, I was thinking someone to also type in the character text but I can easily do that. It seems I may have to spend the tie and look into the coding and as originally intended do it all solo. Just take longer... paying someone is easier and faster.

I will continue to post her for the next couple weeks on it hoping to get someone interested in helping out. Here is world map info. There are rivers and some detail not in the map drawing and ok so maybe I chose terrible place names... it's the game play which counts isn't it?

http://www.kevrimney.com/dq/dc/dcmaps.html

I will post in game maps of some towns, bg's, and monsters. Also original art, music and even some pics from a photo shoot I did trying to get the look for the Hero.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you should get involved with the community a bit (over @ SlimeSalad) as you'd stand more of a chance of getting somebody on board.

To be honest if it weren't for my college work I'd help you do this all myself (as you've said it's pretty basic stuff and it's more time consuming than anything else). Hell, the community is great and if you check out the IRC #SlimeSalad and maybe get involved with people on the forums (with contests, etc.) while chipping away at that large amount of plotscripting it'll go by in seemingly no time!

Also, out of wonder have you played any other games on the engine/read HamsterSpeak? It'd give you a good sense of direction.

People like SpoonWeaver are Plotscripting pros, if you want this stuff done quick I reckon dropping him a line wouldn't go amiss.

Hope this helps and I hope to see more development on this (I check out the site with the screenies, I like the map design, it shows thought)!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice hand drawn map! The locations sound interesting.

"type in character text"? Do you mean converting already written dialogue into textboxes, or a more literal interpretation of "plotscripting"?
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: How about experienced assistance. Reply with quote

Ok, not sure the definition of plotscripter, I'm using it to describe an experienced person who can make the game do things.

Example - make 3 types of keys which open three types of doors. I fiddled a bit with this and think I managed to make a type of system where I had a door, an item key and when the hero possessed it then all the doors vanished or something... it worked but needed tinkering.

I don't know what they're called but triggers or switches, things that change or alter other things. Exempel (learning a bit of Swedish and a going to incorporate that in the game.) - Talk to so and so and then a characters speech is changed to allow game progress or a guard moves allowing passage... basic stuff i haven't looked into much.

As for entering NPC dialogue, I don't know if that is also plotscripting but it's time consuming and I can do that much.

A few other Examples of harder stuff
- an intro and ending animation. I can do the animation work, just putting it in place. Even one or two in the game if possible.
- The hero's graphic changing once or twice through out the game to show weapons/armour differences/progress.
- I've got spells and attacks and made sound effects/graphics for most everything, played around with it but it needs a pro's fine tuning I think - especially with a return type spell.
- Other stuff I should learn but would rather hire someone affordably to do it so it's done right. I could do some basic plumbing and electrical work... I choose to let some one who knows it a little better than I deal with it.

Here is a page with just a wee bit more of all the pointless work I've done on this project. http://kevrimney.com/dq/dc/dcinfo.html even feedback is great. Thanks on the hand drawn map comment. Not what I wanted but it was a quickie rough one I used. I had made it on the sae scroll the others are on but the program froze and I lost it so it needs to be redone. What I think makes the map work best is the old school pencil crayon colouring. Big grin Same as the weapons and shields and armour and items.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like you only need a plotscripter but mainly simple advice on what you are doing wrong.

Quote:
Example - make 3 types of keys which open three types of doors. I fiddled a bit with this and think I managed to make a type of system where I had a door, an item key and when the hero possessed it then all the doors vanished or something... it worked but needed tinkering.

This usually happen when you give all door NPCs the same bit for their appeareance. That's really easy work, I and probably everyone else here could fix that for you, but I think it would be better if you just figure out the mistake yourself.

Writing trigger conditions and all kinds of switching is quite boring work and very easy to learn as well.

When it comes to moving guards however, that's another story, because it needs actual plotscripting. Can't really help with that.

Quote:
- an intro and ending animation. I can do the animation work, just putting it in place. Even one or two in the game if possible.

This is usually done by just chaining background pictures together. I don't recommend too much usage of this or the game file will become huge.

Quote:
- The hero's graphic changing once or twice through out the game to show weapons/armour differences/progress.

You do this by making a completely separate hero for each look. You give him the same name (and in most cases stats), you swap out the old version and lock it and add the new version to the party.

Quote:
- I've got spells and attacks and made sound effects/graphics for most everything, played around with it but it needs a pro's fine tuning I think

You mean balancing? If you have particular question I can probably help.

Quote:
- especially with a return type spell.

This is harder again and needs real plotscripting.

One question, are you mainly a game artist? If you rather would like others to do all the gameplay and dialogues for you, I would see you more in the position of an artist. Artists are quite in high demand in the indie RPG scene, so it would also be easy to just team-up with someone actually enjoying doing the gameplay.

Also you would go so far and pay someone for your work? Are you planning to sell the game? Or do you just have enough money to afford it and really just want your game done?

Also if you actually drew all those graphics from scratch, why even copy monsters from Dragon Quest? You could just do your own thing.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Good questions... Reply with quote

Hey Rya.Reisender,

Why not go entirely original instead of doing a fan made Dragon Warrior game? Well I am a huge Dragon Warrior fan for nearly 2 decades, a member (though inactive a lot lately) at Dragon's Den since '99 by the name Dragon Chaser. So I started playing with OHRRPGCE and naturally it started with DW graphics and monsters. Besides designing all original monsters would take longer.

Ok so once I finish the music which I am working on now and the few graphics left then I will try to get the doors and stuff working again and just ask for assistance.

As for paying for help I figured it might motivate prospective talent. I wasn`t think huge amounts but $25 paypaled here for some help and $25 there for some help and eventually it`d be done. Peoples time should be compensated I think.

Really it was a little thing to kill time which ended up growing into many hours and a semi finished product that has been sitting and bothering me. Yes I could finish iy myself, just thought it`d be easier and quicker to recruit an expert, some one to aid thee in thy quest.

I had gone over the tutorials quite well but just figured plotscripting and technical stuff was too much for me to worry about and it seemed different than RPG maker and I`d forgot most of that anyways.

If this game gets finished then it will probably motivate me to do another all original type game. If...
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just stating my opinion here, other might think completely different.

But I personally would rather help with an original game than a "game XYZ fangame". Of course I know that original graphics are always harder to make.

Either way, if you are stuck with something you can always ask here and I'll help.

By the way, I thought about your doors problem again. This can also happen when you only do 1 door NPC and place it 3 times. You need to create a separate NPC for each door (you can use the same picture but it needs to be a new NPC).
If you can't solve it, I can also take a look at it fix it up and then you can look how I did it so you know how to do it properly. But try yourself first.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help. I'm not exactly bleeding time nowadays, but it doesn't sound like you're asking for anything complicated.

I will stipulate, however, that you learn the basics of the engine. Short of the graphics, your entire game could be written in plotscripting, but some things are easier and quicker to do with the engine. The doors and keys example is a perfect example of something that is easier to do in the engine than via plotscripting.

Basically, read this article: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/How_to_use_NPCs_and_Tags
and perhaps this one: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/How_do_I_make_a_key-locked_Door%3F

If you're interested, send me a PM here or on Slime Salad. I will warn you that I don't visit CP very often.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: working on it... Reply with quote

Hi Moogle1,
I had read those pages and dabbled with the tags, I understand what you're saying about getting by with minimal actual plotscripting.

So I think I've worked around doors/keys, return spell, refreshed myself with the tags again.

How about giving the hero a Run away option?
A Sleep Spell?

Those are two things on my mind now as I keep writing short midi tunes, place npc's and dialogue, check doors and touch up graphics.

** Another thing Big grin I have Inns set up and they work just fine... how would I lengthen the time you sleep and add a little midi tune?

I am sure there is a way to place overhead tiles that the character walks under... not important but would be handy for a few things.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: working on it... Reply with quote

DragonChaserKev wrote:

How about giving the hero a Run away option?

A Sleep Spell?

How would I lengthen the time you sleep and add a little midi tune?

I am sure there is a way to place overhead tiles that the character walks under... not important but would be handy for a few things.

To run away, if referring to in battle, all you have to do is hold down ESC, its a built in engine feature.

In the OHR, the sleep status is actually called "Stun", the way it works is a bit weird to begin with but this should explain how to use it (in fact you really should read all of the HOWTO chapters, we can tell you what is outdated if you have any questions).

When you're making an Inn look at the bottom and you'll see a heading called "Inn Script", in that you can put a plotscript a bit like this into it:

Code:

plotscript, my_inn, begin
suspend player
suspend NPCs
suspend box advance
walk hero (0, left, 5) # This is assuming that your inn's beds are on the left
wait for hero (0) # If you don't put this wait in the action won't be performed!
walk hero (0, up, 4)
wait for hero (0)
walk hero (0, right, 1)
wait for hero (0) #We'll assume in this case that the hero is now in the bed
set hero direction (0, down)
wait for hero (0) # Makes the hero face downwards rather than to the side
wait (1) # Always put a wait before and after a fade, I've found that it makes it look smoother
fade screen out (0, 0, 0) # Fades the screen to black
wait (1)
play song (song:InnMusic) #Either put song:songname or the ID of the song here
wait (50) # Wait is measured in ticks, 7 ticks is roughly 1 second, so if you know the length of the song you can set this wait to be # just right!
stop song
wait (1) # Smooth fading :P
fade screen in
wait (1)
walk hero (0, left, 1)
wait for hero (0)
walk hero (0, down, 4)
wait for hero (0)
walk hero (0, right, 5)
wait for hero (0) # This, in the example puts our hero back in front of the Inn counter
set hero direction (0, down)
wait for hero (0)
show textbox (10) # Something for the hero to say now they're ready to go
wait for textbox
resume player # Putting things back to normal
resume NPCs
resume box advance
end

That'll give you something to work with to make an Inn script, just put that into your games plotscript and put it as the Inn script.

Finally with the overhead tiles, they're depreciated now, instead use layers in the map editor. The first colour in a palette is always the transparency colour, the black in the blue area of the palette is the colour to use when drawing in black (just so you don't accidentally draw a border of a tile in the transparent colour I thought I'd point that out!). To enable layers, go into the map editor and select the Layer and Tilesets heading, from there hit plus (shift + = key) to add a layer that can be used as an overhead layer, to switch between the different layers press the PgUp and PgDn buttons (an indicator as to what layer you're on will appear in the bottom left of the screen).

I hope that I've help you (the message may look a bit jumbled, so I'm not quite sure if it's entirely readable) that should pretty much answer all the questions you've asked.
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: looks simple Reply with quote

Thanks, looks simple, not getting it to work just yet, will play more with scripts. Not sure what I'm doing. Text file, .hss file, drag and drop.. import... just getting an error message. I'd write it here but I closed the windows. Wasting too much time on it and making slow progress, keeping me from more important things.

Built in Run feature by pressing ESC, good.
Overhead tiles, good.
Finished by year's end... unlikely.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to give monsters "Cannot run away" tags or players will be able to just run away from all story fights to skip them.

As for the Inn, from what I understand you just want a longer fade-out time. In this case you can just ignore all the walking commands. I think you even need to call the suspend and resume commands.
So basically you just need the part from fade out to fade in.

Make sure the song you list actually exists and that the waiting time matches to the length of the song. Try to remove all the comments to avoid errors in them for now. With this it should make it easy to remove the error first. After that you can still enhance the script with actual walking if you want.

Don't try to finish your projects this fast. I'd rather have a polished and finished game that took me 3 years to do than a crappy one I quickly made in a month. =p
Spoonweaver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

People like SpoonWeaver are Plotscripting pros, if you want this stuff done quick I reckon dropping him a line wouldn't go amiss.

Big grin
Guess I should come to this site more often...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum