Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

MUTANT WARZONE: A Zombie Apocalypse Simulation (Download!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot
Skeleton King

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: MUTANT WARZONE: A Zombie Apocalypse Simulation (Download!) Reply with quote

http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2011/02/mutant-warzone.html

You are the last survivor of a mutant/zombie outbreak in the City.
The 1,000s of inhabitants are now hell-bent on ripping out your
spine and eating your brains. Armed with a trusty machine gun,
explore the city to find more supplies, achieve a high score,
and, ultimately, clear the infestation completely.

You have regular machine-gun ammo, and 2 kinds of bombs. You start with some lives and can collect more. Ammo is everywhere, but the giant caches are well-guarded. You might be able to grab 2000 rounds easily enough, but you'll need to use that strategically to gain the 10,000 you'll need. You can collect gems and coins for extra points.

Check it out and let me know what you think? This game was developed in under 24 hours, so it's been an exciting day and I'm eager to hear what you guys think! Not OHRRPGCE, but Megazeux. Oh well. :)
Robot
Skeleton King

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Released Beta 3.0 which added a bunch of stuff. You can set the city on fire now so strategy is even more important.

Let's hear some feedback!
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot wrote:
You can set the city on fire now so strategy is even more important.

This is basically just the best line to ever be included in patch notes.
Skeleton King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the long delay.

I've been playing this over the last few days, and it's lots of fun, and the beginning is highly replayable. It's amazing how many thousands of zombies you can shoot before it gets old! The number of zombies in the city is really something. I wish the OHR could handle 20000 NPCs (or whatever it is; that's my estimate) on one map.

Hurry up and release an updated version with music already! The music is awesome!

I think there are some improvements to the game:

I see you said you'll turn up the speed in the next release. This definitely makes the game more fun, but unfortunately when I set it higher than 3, it becomes pretty hard to move around since you move several tiles with every keypress; couldn't you make the enemies move faster instead?

I think you should drastically reduce the amount of supplies in the game. Get rid of all the caches of 10,000 ammo, and don't provide the player with a practically unlimited amount of health in their base. Once you get a gray key (which is far too easy), you can't lose, and probably won't die anywhere other than possibly Hell and the sewers. Gathering scarce resources looks like it ought to be the whole point of this game, but that's only the case at the start, and I found the game much more fun and replayable when I intentionally ignore the ridiculously huge ammo and health dumps.

Hell is my favourite part. I wish that there were more maps.

Also, maybe you should reduce the maximum amount of health. Being able to take 100 hits seems over the top, unless you're playing on speed 1, I guess.

What's the deal with placing the invinco items at a spot where you can't possibly reach enemies before they wear off?

There's one room with enemies in it which you can't reach (south east corner of the city). But it doesn't really matter, because collecting enough supplies to survive is basically the goal of the game; after that there's nothing to do once you've visited the interesting locations. I suggest giving the player another goal, like killing all the mutants/zombies, or escaping the city by finding enough keys. In the latter case, how about generating more zombies so that there's truly an infinite supply?

Also, is it possible to change the bomb buttons to something other than Insert and Delete? Those are so incredibly inconvenient to press.

Speaking of bombs, it's a pity that the napalm bombs are so ineffective as weapons, and you have to go into the sewers to have fun with them. I would suggest that you replace high/low strength bombs with napalm/regular, but I'm aware that this is a per-map setting, so I'm not sure it's possible. The way that the enemies slowly push through the flames is pretty neat. Is that Megazeux default behaviour?

Looking forward to an updated version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: