Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Arcane Bound Emancipated Lands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Arcane Bound Emancipated Lands Reply with quote

ABEL for short, this is my new project, everything is made inside OHR, and this is the title screen. I hope i can finish this one, i always start with a simple idea then it always have to get too ambitious.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

satyrisci
~guo~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, what did you use to draw the image ?
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can draw in the tilemap editor, it's actually easier to draw there because you can flip parts easily and then you can right-click on any color anytime making the process faster.

J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0_0

Way to make me feel pointless. Although... it IS good to know other people also have projects spin outta control then crash and burn.
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tens of projects crash and burn, it's my lack of focus that causes that. But hopefully this time I can do it right, I've been using OHR since highschool (1998,on and off) and i never get to finish anything because my mind easily wanders off from the main idea.

Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, hence the sig, right?
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm seriously doubting we're the only ones...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my middle name is procrastination,
that's right I'm NeoProcratinateSpade, my Author Avatar will be the Lesser Apparition of Procrastination...

...when I get around to it.

I've got about 30+ unifinished OHR projects sitting on my computers :S.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so there's many of us here, I've just had an idea, what if we make something called something like "The Unrealized Elements Project" or something like that, in it we put together all the stuff from our cancelled or burned out projects to form a really big OHR game. And i mean everything, ideas, graphics, plotscript, music, and even text and see what it forms. And each participant will choose a main character from his game and they will be one of the main heroes in the party. It'll be very chaotic and good :-D

Also: There would be no pressure since it will be like a salad of many universes with only one connecting plot. Like,

"In the world of unfinished ideas, the aborted brain children are living peacefull lives despite their obscurity until the Evil Demon Monster threathens to break the peace by instilling in their minds the evil of wanting to be recognized. A few heroes have seen the fallacy of this vice and decides to group together and fight the evil. Please let us rest at the back of your minds!"

Or something like that, or you can think of a richer idea, and we can divide it into chapters and just put together something. Like chapter one is set in one of your game levels, and they all meet up and join and the worlds meld together.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking title screen. I'm really surprised to hear that you used the tile editor. Sadly the level keyboard support of the OHR's graphics editors is hard to find in any other editor :) Years ago I actually created a modified version of the tile editor for editing 320x200 images a piece at a time. Looks like I've lost it.

Creating such a mishmash game would probably be fun to make, though it won't be fun to play! I have at least a dozen abandoned games and many more dormant projects myself. Unfortunately most of the dead ones are heavily scripted games with hardly anything else, and since the scripts are unfinished, they're useless.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way that mashup game would be a win is if it's designed (storyline-wise) to be random and confusing.

Like maybe, it turns out the heroes are actually normal people hooked up to some sort of machine that's malfunctioning and mashing together all sorts of unique simulations. That might also explain the extreme many types of visuals.

BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TMC: Yes, I really love the custom tools, i just noticed one issue, i'm not sure if it's a bug but in the heroes graphics editor, the pen can be dragged and it works like the pen in ms paint while in the tilemap editor it doesn't work like that. It can only draw one point at a time. Same thing for the airbrush tool. You've made an editor that makes an entire 320x200 screen? Wow, if you can find it I'd really love to use it!

also: If all these projects are combined together, it might turn out really epic, with hundreds of worlds, hundreds of art styles, mini games. Hmmm, yes people might not want to play it, but it's fun to make as you've said, and if it turns out well, maybe they might actually play it. I think fun activities usually give nice results. :-)

@Jay_Taylor: That's a neat idea, if we go at it like that, do you think we could make a thread where we could pool our stuff into? Like:

"First Scene: Post your main hero sprite, stats, special abilities, equipment. Then the main story guy for the chapter(or for the quest chain maybe) will take them and mash them into the scene. And would ask us for other stuff that he might need for that particular scene..."

----------------
(Oh so it seems you have the programming part figured out. So how much portraits have you done so far? And how much more do you need? I remember the forgotten realms games they simply reused up portraits for npcs, and had a few selections for heroes. - misplaced message typed earlier but jay replied to here anyway)

Last edited by BlastedEarth on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the menus' graphics are down

BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:
Just the menus' graphics are down

i can send you raster portraits if you like and you can simply reduce them in gimp or retrace them for cleaner pixel look...

J_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take you up on that, but Baconlabs has already volunteered to all portraits. (unless, as he said, there's tens of thousands) Thanks anyways.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: