Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Collaboration game idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Collaboration game idea Reply with quote

I have an interesting idea for a Collaboration RPG game, which may appease to lots of people here. Most of us here are either in our late 20s or perhaps early 30s, and were around during those sweet 80s Saturday morning cartoons. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm the oldest one here... I originally downloaded OHR back when I was 17, that was roughly 10 years ago. Back then, I didn't not have my own active Internet connection, and thus could not actively participate in the community. So I learned OHR offline on my old 386DX running Windows 3.1, I was in heaven. Unfortunately all the simple creations I made back then never survived to this day...

Anyways, back to my idea. There are a huge assortment of early to mid-80s cartoons that we can all relate to and sometimes only wish they would bring them back... Unfortunately, when an old cartoon rises from the grave, it's not as great as it was when you remember it(TMNT is an interesting example of how something can come back ever so changed that you actually hate the newer variation). So, basically the Collaboration idea would be to choose a good cartoon which we all enjoyed and loved from our youth and built an RPG from it. Either take the storyline directly, create a new storyline, or perhaps continue where the original storyline ended. Maybe even do what Robot Chicken did to do all those cartoons, make that incredible funny to watch with very humorous stories based on the original.

If anybody is interested in this type of Collaboration idea, we would need people to help out in all area. Story, Graphics, Scripting, etc... I will not touch the graphics part, as if I did, it wouldn't look as great as it could be. I would rather if a game created with this type of idea to look great and have an engaging/relatable storyline, which would please anybody who watched those 80s Saturday morning cartoons.

Some examples of cartoons in the era of which I would like to make an RPG game for would be:

Thundercats
He-man
Shera
GI Jeo

Some of these may have been late 70s which aired in the 80s, didn't do any research on the years. I'm sure there are more, but this is a generic list for now.

If you have any ideas, input, or would like to participate, please leave a post here. Since now graphics in OHR can be easily imported/exported, it would make it easier to do a Collaboration effort. Script files can be separated, and even maps can be Emailed back and forth, or hosted somewhere.

Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably do some hero graphics and maybe some enemiy graphics. I never watched thoses shows (I'm too young, I guess) but I've heard of 'em. If you send me some pics of the heros you want or enemies, I'll sprite them for ya.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Thundercats as a kid, I wasn't really old enough to catch it when it started out but I had the first few episodes on VCR.

You also missed a few popular ones in your list:

Transformers
Captain Planet
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (I freaking loved that as a kid)
Ulysses 31

I'll say now that while I probably won't be taking part in this I'll definately be looking out for developements in this as it looks quite interesting (I've always liked the Collabs that came out of the OHR, e.g. Martin's Tale from 2006(?)). Anyway hope this goes ahead and good luck with it!
chronoboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Captain Planet, that was a good one.

Voltire wrote:
I can probably do some hero graphics and maybe some enemiy graphics. I never watched thoses shows (I'm too young, I guess) but I've heard of 'em. If you send me some pics of the heros you want or enemies, I'll sprite them for ya.

That would be great. When the game's story is decided upon, I'll send you some images of those cartoon characters.

So far it seems two votes on Thundercats.

Does anybody have some of these cartoons fresh in their mind and may have a good storyline for one of them? I know in Canada, Teletoon Retro is currently playing Thundercats, and Transformers(the original). There may also be a US station airing them as well, but I'm not sure which ones. I know Teletoon is very similar to Cartoon Network in what they air. Perhaps Cartoon Network may have a retro version.

Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronoboy wrote:
Quote:
That would be great. When the game's story is decided upon, I'll send you some images of those cartoon characters.

Alright, I'll wait til then. Maybe I'll search on googleimages ahead of time just to get an idea of the characters.

I'm pretty sure that there is this channel called RTV with a bunch of 'retro' shows. My brother saw He-man and Thunder cats on there once.
satyrisci
~guo~

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone makes a decent Thundercats or Masters of the Universe (crossover ?) RPG I will cry tears of joy.
Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: How 'bout this? Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't wait.
Hopefully, you can tell that this is from Thundercats. If not, I have failed my task. You don't have to use these graphics, and I can always alter them. Tell me what ya think.

chronoboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How 'bout this? Reply with quote

Voltire wrote:
Well, I couldn't wait.
Hopefully, you can tell that this is from Thundercats. If not, I have failed my task. You don't have to use these graphics, and I can always alter them. Tell me what ya think.

Looks great, I knew it was Lion-O as soon as I saw it. I won't be starting work on it until after the Heart of OHR is done and over(which is really soon).

Does anybody have any ideas on what type of story we should follow, if Thundercats will be the game? We could start with the Pilot episode and follow the cartoons through loyally, or do an "After Years" type of thing, like what Square did for Final Fantasy IV on the Wii. I am open to suggestions. As we have some Thundercats fans among us here, what type of storyline would you prefer in such a game?

On a side, next year they're suppose to be releasing a CGI movie of Thundercats. It was suppose to release this year, but instead was put on hold. The concept art is breath taking, I really hope WB goes with it.

http://www.movieline.com/2009/07/movieilne-presents-the-never-before-seen-concept-art-for-warner-bros-thundercats.php

NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that it's always good to work with the actual story, it gives a more solid base for in game events.

To make it work it's vital to follow key story arcs and plot points, while for example; using filler arcs as optional side-quests/plots in order to give a better feeling of freedom to the player.

Keeping the key events intact allows it to retell what we've grown up with/know, and at the same time allows for more freedom for creative development between points and use the filler as one shot side-quests, etc.

One should note that I don't like filler :P, usually because it adds nothing to the plot of a series, but in a game they actually add to it if pulled off well, for example; if FF12 was a TV series it'd be dull; all that filler where Vaan does nothing but hunt monsters with little to do with the main story (not that he had much to do with the story to begin with XD).

I've found that continuations tend to be unfaithful to canon, or worse; change/alter something about a well established character that makes people view them differently. By all means if you can write it well, then follow an After-Years style plot (after all that'd give more creative freedom) but it's far more difficult to pull off.

...I stand corrected this is the worse case scenario. [/needlessly long reply]

[tl;dr]Go with the actual series plot.[/tl;dr]

EDIT: ...I'm not sure if I should strangle you or thank you... I've started to watch Thundercats all over again XD

EDIT 2: I've decided on thank;

Thank you for reuniting me with my childhood :P Photobucket's version is kinda distorted (and it mixed up the colours), but I can direct send you this and I'll gladly do all the hero graphics, well depending on how many of the characters you're gonna use in battles. I may not be able to do much else (I'm busy with RealLife Stuff(tm) at the moment) but I can do that much at least.
Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It quite possibly will be hard to do an "After Years" plot, but I think that if you could re-create the characters so they would be viewed the same (minor changes, perhaps) than it would be a really good thing to do. Of course, going by the story line is easier, seeing as most of the story would already have been thought out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: