Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What aspects of an RPG game do you favor most?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What aspects of an RPG game do you favor most?
Storyline
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Graphics
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Characters
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Unique Battle Systems
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: What aspects of an RPG game do you favor most? Reply with quote

I am bringing up this question, as I am rather curious what other RPG gamers enjoy out of an RPG game experience. RPG does stand for Role Playing Game, in which heavily resolves around story and character development.

However, I have seen some games out there which say "hey, I'm an RPG game", but the story and character development aren't really there. All that's there is an FF-style battle system of sorts.

What are your opinions on what classifies a game an RPG game?

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit to being a sucker for Graphics. Oookay...
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question you pose after the poll. I think to have an RPG, you need maps to explore, a battle system that takes place on a different screen then the exploring, and level advancement.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not thought of how chrono trigger does battles (I disappoint myself).

Ultima on the other hand brings up a very good point. There's really 2 types of RPG's Eastern ones and Western ones. The eastern ones would be mainly from japan and western ones mainly from usa/europe. Baldur's gate is an RPG but it plays completely different than final fantasy. MMO's are a different breed too.

So, I guess you're right. RPG's are pretty undefinable. I mean, I'd go back and say they only need maps to explore and leveling but there are some that have no exploring element, and some with no leveling, so who knows.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed FF13.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGs are like Chili. Sure, there is usually beans, and there is usually meat, and it is almost always spicy with cumin and chili powder, but ever single one of those ingrediates is optional-- even the chili powder or fresh chili from which chili gets its name.

A delicious chili isn't so much about the specific set of ingredients that go into it, and there is no strict definition of "what is a chili".

Also, RPGs.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to answer the other question.

I voted for Storyline, but I should have voted for Characters as it was closer to the truth. What I actually enjoy playing RPGs for are the settings: the locations, the characters in them, the background story to the world and characters (even more than the forward moving story!), all the little details, and obviously the graphics and music used to portray it. On the other hand RPG storylines tend to take a couple hours, or ten, to get really interesting even if they are good.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me music and battle system are most important. I usually don't care much about stories unless they are really good (which is almost never the case in an RPG, I'd rather go play horror games if I want an exciting story). Usually I skip all dialogues in an RPG.

A good example is Star Ocean 1. I played that game completely in Japanese (at a time where I didn't know any Japanese) and I loved it. The music and battle system were simply amazing. I didn't care about not understanding the story at all.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
chronoboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
I enjoyed FF13.

A great example of an RPG without the exploration element. I heard it was very linear, the reason it got mixed reviews. Can't wait for the next FF13, Verses, that's going to be good.

Rya.Reisender wrote:
A good example is Star Ocean 1. I played that game completely in Japanese (at a time where I didn't know any Japanese) and I loved it. The music and battle system were simply amazing. I didn't care about not understanding the story at all.

I played this game in English(DeJaP version), and overall I would have to agree. Even thought I knew the story, I enjoyed the battled system and amazing art they used over the storyline. This game has some of the best graphics for any SuperNES game out there. Well a debate on this or Tales of Phantasia for SuperNES. The graphics are very GBA-like, makes you think the SNES was capable of 32-bit graphics.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronoboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surlaw wrote:
If you haven't played this game what are you basing FF13 Versus being good on? We know almost nothing about it.

True, I haven't played it yet, but will soon. I have read reviews on the game to judge it on linearity. I have heard at one of the E3s, I believe 2009, that versus will sport a real-time battle system, much like the Mana series/Kingdom Hearts. Square stated that the battle systems in FF13 will be much different than that of FF13 Versus. A developer from Kingdom Hearts is working on FF13 versus.

References:
http://www.finalfantasyxiii.us/final-fantasy-versus-13/battle-system/
http://finalfantasyversusxiii.net/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-battle-system.php
http://www.ff-xiii.net/index.php?page=content&name_id=versus_battle

I am sure there is an E3 video online somewhere as well with a official Square employee mentioning the battle system.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: