Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

FP game

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I make this demo?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Greenwado
Well, it's just me, what did you expect?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: FP game Reply with quote

ok so I am thinking of making a small demo of an Idea for a First Person style game someone could make. Its complicated to do walking around but I'd be willing to do this if I get Positive feedback.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this way back in the day by simply making the entire game a hallway shooter, with each 'frame' of walking down the hallway an entire tileset that I moved between maps to animate it and get NPC interactivity.

Beyond that you're going to run into trouble if you want turning and so on, and would need to use 3D math/drawing which would be a gigantic kludge with the scripting engine at this point.

A first person Shadowgate (I think that's the name of the game?) style game would definitely be doable and I think some people could get use out of a demo that shows people how to get one up and running.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried Sauerbraten? It is an open-source FPS engine with a cool built-in level editor.

Oh, and I would love to see someone do another Shadowgate-style game like Missing. I think the slice collection feature would be a huge benefit to anyone attempting to make that style of game. (I would be tempted to try it myself if I didn't already have too many irons in the fire)
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to link this FP engine someone made with the OHR a few years ago.

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=633
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would how much easier the modern convenience of slices makes a FP maze game. Probably not that much.

Incidentally, after the new script interpreter is complete I will probably port Wolfenstein 3D to the OHR. :)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimudora wrote:
I'm going to link this FP engine someone made with the OHR a few years ago.

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=633

How did I miss that this existed! Although it is simple, it is really cool.

The Mad Cacti wrote:
I would how much easier the modern convenience of slices makes a FP maze game. Probably not that much.

Incidentally, after the new script interpreter is complete I will probably port Wolfenstein 3D to the OHR. :)

That would be incredibly awesome :)

I have some Bob the Hamster portrait-life-meter artwork that I drew for a DOOM2 mod once, if it helps :)
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see slices making first-person that much less complicated. It would definitely help with the UI (Health Meters, Ammo Indicators and such) though.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:
I can't see slices making first-person that much less complicated. It would definitely help with the UI (Health Meters, Ammo Indicators and such) though.

Depending on how you're implementing it in the first place, it could make it a lot easier.

Take a look at Rimudora's screenshot. See the back wall, the left corridor, etc? Those are all distinct map pieces; displaying them all as slices helps alleviate a lot of the layering issues that you'd have with maptiles. (I guess since you can now have infinite map layers, you could handle it that way, though.)

Not to mention that it becomes easier to display other dungeon features with slices (pits, monsters, and so on).
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
That would be incredibly awesome :)

I have some Bob the Hamster portrait-life-meter artwork that I drew for a DOOM2 mod once, if it helps :)

A Hamster Republic themed total conversion? Plips, portraits of Broaste and his cactus, sunseeds and carrots... but I'm not sure there's anything to replace the guns with.

Moogle1 wrote:
(I guess since you can now have infinite map layers, you could handle it that way, though.)

Actually, there's a limit of 8. It's a fairly arbitrary limit (a couple reasons for this, such as having to reserve space in the fixed size MAP lump to store tilesets numbers) but could be raised easily enough. All requests for more map layers that I've heard so far are really requests for bigger tilesets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: