Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Need help, making a game called Synergy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Need help, making a game called Synergy Reply with quote

the game is going to be about the elemental energies called "Synergy" and about where they come from and why they exist.
I'm hoping to make a class system for Synergy, but I don't know any scripting
The game will most probably have a mood like Final Fantasy 7
I need graphics as well.
and...
My computer blocks .exe file downloads, audacity doesn't work, probably because I have ubuntu.

Also, I would like a sound editor

Last edited by ajguy93 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice is to work on your own until you can show us what we should help with.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that class systems are so difficult in the OHR.

I would really like it if there was a way to do class changes with no scripting (or at least with only a minimum of scripting)

Right now, I think the easiest way would probably be to creat a separate version of hero for each class.

Like if your heroes are:

* Thor
* Ishtar
* Sedna

and each hero can have any class from

* Fighter
* Thief
* Wizard
* Healer

then you would have to make a total of 12 heroes

* Fighter Thor
* Fighter Ishtar
* Fighter Sedna
* Thief Thor
* Thief Ishtar
* Thief Sedna
* Wizard Thor
* Wizard Ishtar
* Wizard Sedna
* Healer Thor
* Healer Ishtar
* Healer Sedna

which could turn out to be a heck of a lot of heroes, if you have a lot of characters and a lot of classes.

I think this is the same method that Mogri's game Crystal Chasers used. That game only had three heroes, and if I recall correctly each could choose between four different classes.

You can then use custom menus to trigger scripts that swap heroes when you change classes. There are scripting commands that let you adjust the experience levels of the heroes, and you can even copy over player-edited hero names.

It is doable.

But I really would love to have an easier way.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
I think this is the same method that Mogri's game Crystal Chasers used. That game only had three heroes, and if I recall correctly each could choose between four different classes.

Five, but yes. (Six if you count the Onion Kid class.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

I'm trying for eight classes
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many characters need to be able to switch to those 8 classes?
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Four. But once you pick a class, you can't change it.
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Oh and... Reply with quote

I need a sound editor
Sh4d0ws

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't double post. If you don't have have anything substantial to say, but you think you really need to get it out there, just edit your previous post.

As for what you're doing with classes, I recommend making eight templaes, one for each class. Sfter you've done that, just copy each class four times and name the copies after their respective heroes, and make any edits that you see fit.

Quote:
I need a sound editor

I'm sorry pal, but nobody's here to serve you as you see fit. If you're not going to at least ask, you come off as rude, and then not many people are going to be so ecstatic about helping you.

If you just need a sound editor, I recommend Audacity. (Google it.)
If you need something to compose music from scratch, Anvil Studio.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm... Reply with quote

ajguy93 wrote:
Four. But once you pick a class, you can't change it.

So you will need 32 heroes total. That is a lot of work, but I think if you take it one class at a time, you could work up to it.

The fact that you can't change classes mid-game will make things much easier, because then you don't have to plotscript a system for switching classes, just a system for picking starting classes.
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Quote:

So you will need 32 heroes total. That is a lot of work, but I think if you take it one class at a time, you could work up to it.

The fact that you can't change classes mid-game will make things much easier, because then you don't have to plotscript a system for switching classes, just a system for picking starting classes.

So... do I have to plot script the different classes?[/quote]
Sh4d0ws

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You can't define classes in the OHR. The most you can do is make a hero named [CLASS NAME HERE], give it the stats and equipment and whatnot, and then copy & edit it into the different characters.

Or just go one character at a time. Example: Warrior Bob, then Mage bob, then Rogue Bob, etcetera.
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: hmmm... Reply with quote

Could you tell me what tags to use afterwards?
Sh4d0ws

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll need to yse tags, It wont matter much which ones you use, so long as you avoid using the same one twice. I suggest naming them, so you never get any of them confused.

Although for the character creation, you shouldn't even have to use tags. Just make eight NPCs per character, one for each class, and place them on a map. Assign each of them a textbox that briefs the player on their abilities, and with each textbox a conditional that always adds the corresponding character to your party and then swaps in the default character. (Which should be a cursor of some sort.) After that, you can use a door to teleport the newly-chosen character to the first part of your game.

Now, why don't you give us some more information about your game, and maybe even put up some screenshots? People are always more exciting to contribute when they know what they're contributing to.

Actually, you might want to register here, at Slimesalad: http://www.slimesalad.com/
The community's a bit more active there.

I understand you're new to the engine, but please remember that problem solving is always a big part of game development! Before you ask us with help, try to fgure things out yourself. Read the How-To tutrial at the wiki, or use F1 while in Custom for some quick-yips, if you don't understand how something in the engine works,
ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Your information have been very enlightening. I'll try to make a sprite on my on, but no garantees
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: