Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

HamsterSpeak #40 Online

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: HamsterSpeak #40 Online Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.

Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"His beef with cats is not addressed" made me laugh out loud. Nice issue.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

==Mr. Pepper==

Why does no one speak of the horrible acts committed against Miss Egg as part of the same atrocity?

==Dogero==

I love the description of the notebook games that FyreWulff would draw. I drew platformer game maps when I was a kid too, but the idea of "playing" them as describe never occurred to me. That got me thinking about how many kids play video games without a computer or console.

I am curious about the shop character's name, but I assume it is something embarrassing. I understand that. I remember that the very first Bob the Hamster game that my cousin and I made (Bob the Hamster EGA) contained some utterly pointless and childish political references, which I am now ashamed to have made. They were left out of the VGA remake, although now that I watch the story sequences in Vlad mode I can't help but shudder at how Vlad brutalizes "the Turks". As historically accurate as that might be, I would definitely replace it with something less awful if I remade the game again today.

I was interested to learn that Charbile developed the Proem to SoJ in secret. I am wondering how that worked, since the OHR was (and still is) terrible at integrating team edits. How did Charbile avoid conflicts with changes that FyreWulff was making while he was working on the proem?

==Tako-Sama==

Excellent hype. Looking forward to this.

What I want to know is whether the Swordfish is a hero ally, or an equippable weapon (or dare I dream BOTH?)
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Great article Spoonweaver Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this article and completely agree with one of your closing statements, "You just can't base a game off of it's graphics and videos. There's a reason people still play Pac-man and Pong. They're fun."

People wonder, mainly the younger people these days why I play all these 8 to 16 bit games on my all powerful laptop. The fact remains, I tend to enjoy these types of games more than the newer stuff coming out. Only a select few fancy graphic and all that games I actually enjoy playing. I feel that developers are just "trying to hard" these days...

I'm from Canada btw, not a terrible place to retire to, but I'd go for that dessert island more. At least the dessert island is warm all year round.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Great article Spoonweaver Reply with quote

chronoboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to hard to compete with other developers for the best graphics, controls, pushing the limits of a console, etc... Developers seem to put playability down on their todo list and focus more on pushing the power of the current console or graphics chip to the limit.

Mind you, there are some developers out there, who focus more on gameplay and playability of the title, thus making the title more enjoyable. Think how Nintendo constantly has their titles always on the top 10 lists from NDP or CVG. Nintendo didn't go for the HD or dazzling graphics, they went for the fun aspect.

I am in no way talking about OHR game developers, I find a good majority of OHR games very fun to play. Even the stories for the games created are sometimes better than any of the current RPGs being released from big box developers. I am currently playing through the Surlaw series and am finding it quite enjoyable.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz yay I'm contraversal!
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James. The answer is BOTH. For sure. If you liked the hype you'll be blown away by the game for sure!
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
I was interested to learn that Charbile developed the Proem to SoJ in secret. I am wondering how that worked, since the OHR was (and still is) terrible at integrating team edits. How did Charbile avoid conflicts with changes that FyreWulff was making while he was working on the proem?

The proem came in pretty late - within a couple months or so before Jade went into testing mode. At that point I was pretty much done interacting with the .RPG file (didn't really need to, because at that point I was just bugfixing my scripts which did not require touching the actual game data), and was getting ready for us to move on

Before that point though, we literally would just throw the RPG file between us, with one person simply just waiting for the other to finish what they were doing. Which is why us having stretches of being offline made the game take so long to come out, because we'd just be idling waiting for the other person to get back online (the old catch 22 of "i could script this, but I need the new graphics from Char / I could draw this, but I need this part of the game outlined and the script done for this dungeon)

tl;dr yep, the OHR is and was not good at parallel work being done on a game and we never found away around it.
chronoboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one of the developers could add a single DIFF/PATCH system for RPG files. Do RPG files keep timestamps of each lumps last modification?

Basically adding a menu item or separate program to "sync" two RPG files.

Another option for Windows users would be to turn the unlumped RPGdir into a Windows briefcase. Then preform syncs on two separate RPGdirs.

There are many sync apps for *NIX systems, Mac/Linux, which can also be used to sync two directories.

Has anybody attempted this type of thing on an RPGdir? I'm kinda curious if it would work at all.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronoboy wrote:
Perhaps one of the developers could add a single DIFF/PATCH system for RPG files. Do RPG files keep timestamps of each lumps last modification?

No.

An engine feature to diff or merge would be really awesome, but would be a lot of work; I'd rather wait for nohrio.
This is way off topic for this thread, but have a look at this thread on the mailinglist on this topic:
http://lists.motherhamster.org/pipermail/ohrrpgce-motherhamster.org/2009-December/010467.html

(Slice collections were added since then and can not be merged either. And as far as I'm aware, nobody ever tried merging RPGs in the way suggested.)

I'm really looking forward to reading the Dogero article. This looks like the first issue I'll read cover to cover in a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: