Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Heart of the OHR Contest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, guys, I've been up long enough, so let me give you a heads up about what to expect next.

First off, I want to thank everyone who submitted an entry. I really didn't know what to expect from this contest (honestly, when I announced it last summer, I didn't think anyone would take it seriously). The entries that have been submitted so far have already made this successful in my book. So thanks for that.

Secondly, if you haven't submitted your game yet, you only have four hours to go (or you still have four hours if you're an optimist) until the deadline. So wrap it up.

Thirdly, I will still accept entries after the 6am EST deadline under the following guidelines:

-Bug and feature ransoms officially end at the deadline, so if the link to your game is not on one of the forums by then, you will not get the bounty, and James will have an excuse to procrastinate on it forever and ever, or until he has the time to implement it.

-T-shirts will not be given to anyone who submits after 6pm EST (12-hour buffer). At 6pm, the penalties for lateness will also begin.

-Games will still be accepted for voting purposes up to the official game fix deadline on December 15th. However, you'll lose a point off your final score for each day it's late, so try not to wait until December 14th if you want to stand any kind of chance at winning.

-Voting will begin on December 16th and run until the end of the year.

Good luck to all who entered (and to those who want to chance lateness over neverness).

Finally, Heart of the OHR is drawing to a close, but this doesn't mean we have to stop preparing for it--

Yes, Heart of the OHR 2 will begin on June 1st, 2012, and run until November 30th, 2012, so get started now if you want to submit something awesome. The rules will be nearly identical, except for one caveat:

Since we now have the origin contest out of the way, it's safe to add a new official rule beginning with HotOHR2: Any game released for this contest that gets a major update for the next one will receive an additional 5 points to its overall score. Yes, I will reward you for not abandoning your game at the demo stage. So, if you released one tonight, but weren't entirely happy with it, make up for it in 2012 with a stellar new update and receive 5 additional points.

I'll think of a counterbalance for new games just to be fair, though.

Anyway, thanks again. If you haven't finished your game yet, please do so soon.

EDIT (12/1/2010): James created a wiki page for the contest. Links to each game can be found inside:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Heart_of_the_OHR

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, contestants may continue to bugfix throughout the day if needed, but I am officially opening the votes now.

Remember, we will not be voting in the usual Top 10 rankings that we're used to doing in contests, but rather scoring each game on a scale from 1 - 10. Scores for each game will then be averaged by number of voters for that game.

For example, if Ignatious the Happy Walrus Who Sat Upon His Enemies and Smote Them earned scores from five voters at 3, 5, 6, 4, and 7 respectively, the average score would be 25 points / 5 voters or 5.0 points for the game. Conversely, if only three people vote, and those scores are 6, 4, and 7, then the average score comes out to 17/3, or 5.6--a higher average than if it had five voters.

So, as you can see, the fewer votes a game receives, the higher its grade point average may be, and the more likely it could climb the ranks, so it pays to vote, for the game that only gets one vote, a 10, can easily win the contest. Do you want that single vote to sway the results? No. So do your part and vote. You don't have to vote for every game, but for every game you don't vote on, the more likely you'll inadvertently send it to the top. And something tells me that Ignatious the Happy Walrus should not outrank the gems that made this contest, so be sure to vote.

Once again, the list of entries are here at the Heart of the OHR wiki:

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Heart_of_the_OHR

Because the two late games were late due to computer failure, I am waiving the point deductions, so all entries will receive fair scoring.

Games should be based on what's uploaded as of today, not necessarily on what you tested two weeks ago. However, if you've already played through the first submissions and don't plan to play the bugfixes, then at least let the authors know that your score reflects the November 30th / December 1st version, and not the one that's eligible for vote.

New games to the OHR include:

Apophenia Demo by guo

Chronoboy Adventures by Chronoboy

Eternity Fragment Prelude by NayusDante

Hero by ncw64

Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver

Motrya by JSH357

Skyfall by Mystic

Viridia Chapter 2 by Baconlabs

Old games resurfacing with new content include:

Do You Want To Be a Hero? by Mogri

New Content: Chapter 8 (Additional information found in game's readme)

Okédoké! La Leyenda Mexicana by FnrrfYgmSchnish

New Content: (reposted from the wiki) "The most recent major update to the game was released on November 30th, 2010 as part of the Heart of the OHR contest. It added a few minor things throughout the earlier chapters of the game (including jumpable ledges (like those used in Puckamon) in Chapter 1, new random encounters in several chapters, and a secret area and minor changes to Chapter 5's prison area) as well as being the first public release to include Chapter 4's secret area and a small portion of Chapter 6."

Tales of the New World 2 by msw188

New Content: Everything after first boss.

Vikings of Midgard by FenrirLunaris

New Content: (according to Fen's posting a few replies down)
"Enemies, Spells, and Rewards rebalanced.
Ground terrain slightly improved around corners (most areas)
Delvire shows up in a few more scenes, and has his "final" fight at the arena.
Dr Mu's spaceship, and fight vs the musclemen
Olaf's final questchain complete, Managarm fight fixed.
Night's reacuisition quest fixed, more battle prologue added.
Fight against Midgardsorm now has an actual cinematic before it.
Party has to perform a number of tasks to leave Thule before continuing.
Start of the in-game encyclopedia (only three sections so far,updates as you go).
Most of the overworld changes halfway through the game."

Remember, guys, if you submitted a previously released game with new content, we need to know what the new content is. Voters are supposed to consider the new stuff, not vote entirely for the old.

Voters, remember, old games are to be voted on new content. Please play through the new content. Please don't vote exclusively on old content (though you are welcome to use old content to decide whether you like the new content).

That should be everything. I'll modify this post as I receive new information.

You may post your votes in this thread, the Castle Paradox thread, or through PMs. Be aware that by posting your votes publicly, authors (and lurkers) can learn what they did right and what they didn't. But if you really want to keep it a secret, you may PM your votes.

Voting deadline ends December 31st. Results should be given to HamsterSpeak for the January issue with much fanfare.

EDIT: I won't actually close the voting until I have a minimum of 10 votes. I want all contestants to have a fair playthrough and comment/critique/score for their games. So, it's December 31st only if I have the minimum number of votes met.

You can vote in this thread.

Good luck. And please start voting.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charbile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: merry christmas Reply with quote

[10]
Motrya (battles should be replaced with card games)

[6]
Eternity Fragment (800gp for boat? out yo mind, dawg)
Viridia (needs more RPG)
Legendary Heroes
(wanted to rate higher, but needs serious rework)

[5]
Hero (so far as heart of ohr, this is it)
Skyfall (same here)
Apophenia (plays like 48hr contest game)

[4]
Chronoboy Adventures (lord british boo)

[3]
Tales of New World 2 (forgot to include audiere file)
To Be a Mogri (forgot to include sdl.dll)
are you even trying anymore? why do you continue?
What is a mogri?

[1]
Okedoke (try making something fun next time)

[pass]
Vikings (aint no way going back until finished)

---

general notes

- feel like first drafts.
and by drafts, i don't mean they need more content.
i mean reworking what's there. a lot of text can be trimmed

- pacing
better to pace it faster than slower.
i want to know who i'm playing and what i'm doing.
i don't like waiting on intro's (make them skippable)
or lengthy cut scenes for just a single gag or minor plot point.

- large maps
need incentive and reason to explore large maps,
the amount of work you put into it is not enough reason.
you the creator may know what it's all about,
but me the player has no idea, wants some kind of guidance.
needs to be much tighter
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: merry christmas Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:
To Be a Mogri (forgot to include sdl.dll)
are you even trying anymore? why do you continue?
What is a mogri?

This is the lowest score anyone has given it, and you haven't provided a reason for your score (unless it's that I forgot to include the DLLs). Everyone who has given me feedback has loved the game. I might take you more seriously if you didn't have a history of disliking me personally.

Step up your trolling, Charbile!

(edit) although I have to admit that giving feedback to all the games collectively is kind of insulting, so props for that
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted everyone to take note that I've appended the voting window slightly. Deadline is still December 31st, but only if I have a minimum of 10 votes. If the deadline comes and we're under the minimum, I won't actually close the polls until at least 10 voters give the games a fair playthrough and score them (with optional comments or critiques). Too many contests have lackluster voter turnouts, and Heart of the OHR will not be among the list. There is no winner until at least 10 people voice his or her opinions about the games. Thank you.

P.S. I'm only mentioning this now because polls have been open for more than a week and I've only received 3 votes. There is no hurry, but there is also no final tally until the minimum is met. If you've entered a game, you'll probably want to vote, since there are at least 10 of you who entered. Food for thought.

Both the main page and the voting post have been modified to reflect the new voting standard.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Tightfloss Maiden

Charbile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: haha, moogles Reply with quote

Think you're great personally. Professionally, you take comments about your work personally. It's tough putting yourself out there, I know. Not everyone's going to like your work. Especially when more than a couple of people actually play it.

I would be happy to provide feedback, though it's kind of a drag when an author responds to any dislike as trolling, and especially when they won't answer my questions.

we're getting to old for this...

Why do you need any feedback when you already know there are only reasons to love the game? You tell me where you can improve it, tell me why I should love it, and I'll change my score. Maybe I didn't see the subtle greatness (there, was that better?)
satyrisci
~guo~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your criticism Charbile,
The reason it plays like a 48 hour contest game is because I whipped those sections up in oh... about 48 hours? Oookay...
Most of the time I have spent working on this has been graphics (and planning on paper), when the deadline drew near I realised I would have to put something mildly playable in. I hope to have a more substantial and consistent product to show next release.

Also, I need to make the combat muuuuch better.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: haha, moogles Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:
I would be happy to provide feedback, though it's kind of a drag when an author responds to any dislike as trolling, and especially when they won't answer my questions.

What, those questions were supposed to be serious? Then let me be serious for a second...

Asking "are you trying anymore?" is not feedback. It is, in fact, near-universally considered a deliberate insult rather than a question. It is inexcusable (and nearly impossible) for you not to know this. There is no reason for me to attempt to address this.

This is more explanation than ought to be necessary, and there's no reason for me to attempt to carry a discussion with someone who flouts basic tenets of conversation.

Merry Christmas, Charbile.
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless us, every jerk!

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Charbile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guo - I liked it. I took notes as I played, but decided not to share since I don't feel like forum debate club. I pasted the money lines for each.

The initial setup was good, but it wasn't until I hit the sewer with all the barrels that I had the urge to quit. And I did, but played it again later to barely get out of it. The battles were very skin-of-the-teeth. Your custom menu was cool, but like the battles, I felt it made things overly complicated. I'm sure there's some punches you want to do, I'd focus everything to really support them. Unless your punch is a balls-hard game where the player is as confused as the main char.

---

Additionally, I had a friend who watched me play some of them, and he wanted to vote too, but I explained if you give every game a 1 or 2, they'll just call you a jerk, and, tell me I'm wrong guys, but they'll also discredit your vote because you don't make these games. Real players, people who don't make them but like playing, they're 10 times as harsh as anything I could think of saying. But they're not mean without merit. You have to make a choice whether this is just for kicks or making better games.

---

Moogle1. It was a serious question, sorry for not giving proper context.

- I don't feel your games have gotten any better
- you've been around long enough that I thought we could skip to more interesting/ mature discussions
- I think you know what you're doing very well
- is the answer just you like the social scene?
- and that this is not really professional at all?
- feedback's a joke, if so

And I'm sorry for treating you like I would Rinku, JSH, or anyone who's kind of serious about this who I think has great ability. I really am. I'll treat you like I would Ronin from now on.
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:

Additionally, I had a friend who watched me play some of them, and he wanted to vote too, but I explained if you give every game a 1 or 2, they'll just call you a jerk, and, tell me I'm wrong guys, but they'll also discredit your vote because you don't make these games. Real players, people who don't make them but like playing, they're 10 times as harsh as anything I could think of saying. But they're not mean without merit. You have to make a choice whether this is just for kicks or making better games.

I'm not going to address any of the rest of this post, but whatever you thought of it, do take heed of this paragraph as this is pretty much 100% true in my experience. It's all well and good making a game for OHR folk, but if you want to exceed that, get ready for this. If we had outside voters weighing in on this competition and they actually went through with it, you'd probably be shocked by how poorly everything would score, even some of the entries you might consider the better games. DYWTBAH is, IMO, the best in the contest discounting my own, but it would never fly with a normal audience for many reasons.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:
Moogle1. It was a serious question, sorry for not giving proper context.

- I don't feel your games have gotten any better
- you've been around long enough that I thought we could skip to more interesting/ mature discussions
- I think you know what you're doing very well
- is the answer just you like the social scene?
- and that this is not really professional at all?
- feedback's a joke, if so

And I'm sorry for treating you like I would Rinku, JSH, or anyone who's kind of serious about this who I think has great ability. I really am. I'll treat you like I would Ronin from now on.

Let me be explicit:
- Even in the best circumstances, conversation with you is an exercise in patience.
- This is a contest discussion thread, not a Moogle discussion thread. You have at least two of the following: Castle Paradox PMs, my email address, my Livejournal. It does not take a genius to realize that this is a poor venue for the conversation you are (ostensibly) attempting to have.
- And yet you claim "I don't feel like forum debate club." Don't -- do you even realize what you're saying?
- Everyone else who I've seen vote on the game has been of the opinion that it's one of the better ones. If you disagree, then it's you who needs to provide explanation, not I. This is not the first time you've told me you don't like DYWTBAH. You didn't explain back then, either. I am inclined to tell you that "this is not the game for you." I am also not convinced that you have played past world 3.
- I have never felt the need to explain myself to you, and I do not understand why you seem to think I should.

tl;dr (haha) - If you actually wanted to talk to me about what you're asking, you'd have contacted me about it. I don't feel like forum debate club either.
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:

Outside players would probably rank these games low by default if they were expecting Assassin's Creed HD 4-D w/ Glasses and Smell-o-Vision!!!!, but I think anyone who has any kind of appreciation for retro gaming will come at these games with slightly more objectivity (thus, scores of 1 and 2 might jump to scores of 4 and 5, possibly). But, regardless of their background and current Internet haunts, I'd consider any vote that is serious and not intended for padding. If your friend wants to vote, maybe he'll receive scolds out the door, and there's a good chance that no game designer would want him back (if he's that critical), but I'll still accept his votes. And this goes for anyone who reads this, and any friend of a friend of a friend who reads this.

Tightfloss Maiden

Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that I will be entering the next HOTOHR so expect greatness! If I forget slap me with a rubber glove and I will continue!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding making OHR games attractive to people who have never played OHR games before, getting full mouse support in Game is a top priority for me in the near future. My experience with showing OHR games to new people always goes like this:

Them: *click click clickety-click* (look of confusion)
Me: "You have to use the keyboard."
Them: *Stare at the keyboard for a moment without taking their hand off the mouse*
Me: "Use the arrow keys and the spacebar. The ESC key is to cancel stuff"
Them (50%): "let's do something else" *click the close button*
Them (30%): *tentatively tap at the keyboard as if it is going to bite them*
Them (20%): "Oh! Okay." *proceed to play the game*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: