Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

biometrics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: biometrics Reply with quote

I recently became interested in stuff where computers recognize stuff and learn stuff. So this random idea popped into my head while I was reading a tutorial on augmented reality in Flash: a program that would recognize the user's face, store the login information securely, and log that person into different things automatically. Oddly enough, this idea which, if I try it, will lead to countless hours of work and would cost more money than I have ($29) stems from my laziness: I'm too lazy to log in manually! Ha ha ha!
Now, this poses an interesting problem: will I get around to doing this before someone patents it?
What do you think of the idea, and how do you think I should go about doing this?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe is a Facial recognition system, which is a specialized type of machine vision.

It is pretty cool stuff, but there probably isn't much in the field that hasn't already been patented. I just used the search engine at http://patft.uspto.gov/ and found hundreds of patents that mention "facial recognition" (although most of those are probably for specific uses of it)
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that something like what you're describing already exists.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your saying is that I'd have to pay for the rights to use someone else's stuff to make something that probably already exists? I may need to get into kickstarter.com.
I was hoping it would be pure open sourcery, but I figured that a lot of the stuff in facial recognition would be patented. As for origionality, this is really just me wanting to learn something really awesome that I could probably use in the "real world", what ever that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: