Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Examples of 3/4 sprites please?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mariel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Examples of 3/4 sprites please? Reply with quote

Hi guys! My brothers and I are working on a game and I'm doing graphics for it. At first we figured we'd do a bird's eye view game, similar to normal OHRRPGCE games, but somewhere along the way it became a platform jumper. Now they want to do 3/4 view 2d character sprites instead, but I don't have as much experience with games like that. Can anyone suggest some good games that use this graphic view that I could look at for references?
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...3/4 view, you mean half the face and the side... many platform games afford 1/2 view. (sonic the hedgehog, super mario brothers) especially the sequels to the games. But I can't think of one that aims to come down from the top.

Besides that's stretching into the realms of 3D. There were a few sonic the hedgehog games that did operate in this method while somehow still remaining 2d. It's usually strategy games that have a 3/4 view.

Do you have any diagrams of what you mean by 3/4 just so we're on the right page.

Campaigning for Linux! Down with Win.exe!

PS. It's mean to replace words just because you don't like them ¬_¬ moderators...
G-Wreck
OHRRPGCE Game Designer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure what you mean by 3/4 graphics either, but maybe these will help you find what you're looking for?

Bell of Chaos by James Paige:
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=1000

Tim-Tim the Mighty Gnome by Spoonweaver:
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=944

Trailblazers by Retrogamer:
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=283

Light Fight by Spoonweaver:
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=957

If nothing else, these are good example of sidescrollers for the OHR, so you can use them as a source of research for your own game.

Just be sure to ask the authors' permissions first if you choose to use anything directly from their games.

Finishing the main story arcs and gameplay elements before I do anything else.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to use the same sprites, but to transiotion between top-down RPG map view to side-view 2D sidescroller, right?

I think that if you draw sprites that look good for a side-scroller, they will naturally look good in top-down view too.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not 3/4 sprites, but these are sprites turned at an angle as applied to isometric/almost isometric tiles.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Mariel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not doing the top down view any more, sorry for the confusion. It's all platforms now. (Which is annoying, 'cuz I had several sprites for the other one already.)

After a lot of experimenting, I've come up with a little 3/4 sprite to show what I mean. Right now I'm working on coming up with movements for this little guy so I can use him as a skeleton for all the characters.

(Here's hoping the .Gif works, I've never made one before)

www.gifninja.com

I just don't want that walk-like-an-egyptian paper doll look that you see in the old school platformers--not that there's anything wrong with those, they were my bread and butter growing up--but that's not the style we're going for right now.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just don't want that walk-like-an-egyptian paper doll look that you see in the old school platformers
Which is cool because not a lot of games have sprites that walk like that. Even 2 or 3 walk frames for RPG sprites and such tend to hide the stiffness.

http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml - This is a great tutorial for walk cycles. I'm not that experienced at animating walking myself, but that's what this site is for.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: