Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Magazine Memories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: OHR Magazine Memories Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 3 or 4 years ago, I stumbled upon an article from OHRRPGCE Monthly; Rinku Hero's "Creating a Game" trilogy, and it very probably changed the way I look at game design forever.
Believe it or not, I actually printed the entire thing out and read it at school when I could (alongside the Grand List of Console RPG Cliches, but that's another story). I thought studying such an article would strengthen my game-makin' skills.
And it did! Not immediately, of course. The fact of the matter is that game design and everything that comes with it are skills that take lots and lots of practice to understand and perfect. What the article taught me was the importance of planning and infrastructure.
Now that I have concrete maps of my games' layouts, I know exactly how and when they're going to end. Which means that they will eventually end. This somehow makes everything else easier to work on.

So kudos to old man Rinku, wherever he is.

Also, Hamsterspeak. Every time I see someone I know (or better yet, myself) get featured, I get incredibly giddy and excitable about game-making. This is felt even stronger if the issue includes informative articles with nifty info I never knew before, like a sprite or plotscripting tutorial.
Pretty pictures are awesome too, we have some great artists here.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually printed the entire thing out and read it at school when I could (alongside the Grand List of Console RPG Cliches, but that's another story).

Haha, I remember doing the exact same thing several years back. Mind you, I didn't print out the whole article, just a couple of the heftier ones. They were really helpful back when I first started, especially since they were easy to understand and were written in an encouraging way. I should read through some of these articles again.
Rinku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" kudos to old man Rinku, wherever he is. "

haha, i'm right here.

as for quotes or stories about hamsterspeak/septaweekly/ohrrpgce monthly, i'm not sure i have any interesting ones. although i should mention that my interest in reviewing ohrrpgce games back then and all the practice ohrrpgce monthly gave me is being continued even today; i sometimes review indie games for tigsource.com and indiegames.com/blog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: