Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@msw
That is what I've been doing. The reason I'm not satisfied with it is that it isn't convenient to set bits (you need to place a different tile for every combination of bitsets).
More importantly, were I to be hit by a bus and you needed to carry on my game-making legacy, it would be very difficult for you to read my scripts, let a lone understand the placement of my invisible maptiles.
By allowing user defined data, I could actually name my bitsets, and the process is somewhat self-documented.

@TMC
Using scripts for changing user defined NPC data for specific NPC instances would probably be useful. Is there any point in making instance specific edits in custom? Probably not ... no other instance-specific NPC parameter can be edited in custom.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm unaware of an equivalent command,
but a "hero at spot" command might be a good idea.
(I found the need for one today)

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and just to put this out for discussion:

There's that issue where it's not possible to activate NPCs while pressing the arrow keys. This can be rather annoying in more heavily scripted games (like mine).
Also, if there's any way to give priority to the arrow key most recently pressed (rather than just favoring "up" or "down" over "left" or "right"), this also would make control a lot easier in more active games.
(I can't think of a way to plotscript this ... if the BASIC code is anything similar, maybe it's simply not possible)

Last edited by Bagne on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
msw188

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"hero at spot(x,y)" wouldn't be too hard to make as your own function, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it built in as well. But should it return the heroID or the position in party?

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.
Doesn't matter really - you can convert between the two easily.

I'd go with whatever index most the commands use - which in this case happens to be "walkabout slot".
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I work on my game, I always come up with a thousand suggestions, so forgive me for flooding this thread - I have two more.

1) User-defined data: Maps.
We discussed map-tiles, but I just found a use for having user-defined data for the maps themselves. Now that I think of it though ... items, stores, attacks ... pretty much anything could have user-defined data, and it would be hard for it to be not useful.

2) I've got some slices up and running now ... I'm thinking that if you have permanent slices on screen during active gameplay, it might be desirable to offset the camera - a command like "camera follows hero" (or NPC), except the user inputs an x and y offset.
Example: you want to add a status bar to the side of the screen. Since this cuts off a good chunk of your view of the map, you might want to offset the camera to re - center the hero on the part of the map that is still visible.
Maybe this is already possible ... is it?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:

2) I've got some slices up and running now ... I'm thinking that if you have permanent slices on screen during active gameplay, it might be desirable to offset the camera - a command like "camera follows hero" (or NPC), except the user inputs an x and y offset.
Example: you want to add a status bar to the side of the screen. Since this cuts off a good chunk of your view of the map, you might want to offset the camera to re - center the hero on the part of the map that is still visible.
Maybe this is already possible ... is it?

The only way to do that right now is if you have a main script loop that repeats every tick. Then you can readjust the camer a position manually with "put camera"

I used the manual camera positioning method for Don't Eat Soap to focus on the point in between the two players in multiplayer (when playing a level larger than the screen.)
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oioi ... :-S
Ok.
Not too enthused to try that without multi-thread scripting. I've got many other scripts going.

If I correctly recall, if I had that running and then triggered another script (hopping, spellcasting, whatever), the camera script would stop following the hero (offset or otherwise), until my other script finished. Is that right?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
Oioi ... :-S
Ok.
Not too enthused to try that without multi-thread scripting. I've got many other scripts going.

If I correctly recall, if I had that running and then triggered another script (hopping, spellcasting, whatever), the camera script would stop following the hero (offset or otherwise), until my other script finished. Is that right?

That is correct. This sort of thing will remain somewhat painful until script multitasking is ready. It happened to be easy in Don't Eat Soap, because *everything* was running within a single main loop.

There are a couple ways to work around this without waiting for multitasking.

One is to replace "wait" with a wrapper that updates the camera, and use it in your scripts that would otherwise interrupt the camera movement

Code:

script, waitcam, ticks, begin
  variable(i)
  for(i, 1, ticks) do(
    manual camera update
    wait(1)
  )
end

And of course you would need a wrapper for other commands in the wait family.

Code:

script, waitcam for hero, who, begin
  while(hero is walking(who)) do(
    manual camera update
    wait(1)
  )
end

Another approach is to use one of the timers to trigger your camera script.

Code:

script, update camera by timer, begin
  #do your put camera magic here
  set timer(1, 0, 1, @update camera by timer)
end

This uses timer #1 to re-trigger the camera script once per tick. This should not be interrupted by other scripts (unless of course you try to use the timer for something else)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do You Want to be a Hero? uses a customized "wait" script. It's useful because I need things to animate while other scripts are executing.

You can also use one-tick timers for things you need to check/execute every clocktick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, where are we at for multi-tasking?

The wiki "future plans" doesn't seem to suggest that it will happen in the near future - but is the wiki up to date? I thought I heard somewhere that multi-tasking was coming soon. (Perhaps I'm dreaming?)

I ask just for sake of planning.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
By the way, where are we at for multi-tasking?

The wiki "future plans" doesn't seem to suggest that it will happen in the near future - but is the wiki up to date? I thought I heard somewhere that multi-tasking was coming soon. (Perhaps I'm dreaming?)

Well, that page is quite stale. Needs some heavy editing.

I want to work on multitasking as part of the new script interpreter. That has been coming along really well for the previous month until it totally stalled, and lately I'm too sleep deprived and addicted to Wesnoth (some correlation) to work on it. I definitely want to have some early multitasking functionality in the next month, but with all the work to be done on the interpreter and all the new commands and script triggers and documentation to add, it'll probably be a long time before it's complete, or even merged into wip.
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: Continuous rotation of slices!
I've been using MATLAB to try and develop a way to do this.

The aliasing (or whatever you call it) can look really bad when I rotate this 20x20 image ... but some control over rotation is better than none. Also, clever people might be able to figure out a way to make it look smoother.

I don't think the process should be too computationally demanding, although it increases with the square of the image size.

Anyways - I'm guessing that this will be pretty useless until floating points are usable in scripting.
Also, I simply ignored the glaring problem of corner-clipping.

If anyone has MATLAB and wants to try this, I can send you the source. I'm currently reading some of the slice source code - but it will be a while before I can try anything with the OHR itself... if ever.

No Rotation:

(2/10)*2Pi

(6/10)*2Pi

Naturally, a slice zoom/shrink command would be cool (I'm still thinking about how to do this ...)

A "transparent" bitset would be cool too, dithering in transparent pixels (or a tool in custum that quickly dithers in transparent pixels so you don't have to do it by hand).
(Real transparency would be coolest of course, but I have no idea how to even approach such a thing with palettes. You'd average the RGB values ... and ... grab the closest color in the palette? That sounds costly. I guess there's different kinds of transparency too ... you could re-scale and then multiply the RGB values, making the light tones more transparent than the black ... but again ... costly)
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics Gale has all of those features you are requesting, being designed for pixel art. Rotation in GG doesn't anti-alias, and you just clean up the messy pixels by hand.

There's also auto-dither, which you can use with a primary + the transparent color index.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, I'll try that out.
I'd imagine GIMP can rotate stuff too - it might even have anti-aliasing.

My intention here is to do the rotation etc in real time - i.e. I could write a script that takes a slice and spins it around:

like this:

Code:
for (turn, 0,5, 0.1)
  rotate slice (sl, turn*2pi)
  wait(1)
end

This would be way easier, and require far less memory than pre-loading all the necessary frames for my animation.
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a way you can write plotscripts and test them in-editor? I keep losing my important .txt-into-.hss file, due to SOMEBODY deleted them. Not a huge surprise, considering two younger siblings who use the same computer. Anyways...

Video thing would be awesome. And I'm talking about 320x200 16-bit videos would be awesome. Totally.

Plus, maybe some in-editor scripting features for those of us who still suck at it...?
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: