Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Game Demo : Syzygy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-Wreck
OHRRPGCE Game Designer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Game Demo : Syzygy Reply with quote

I just posted a game I've been working on lately called "Syzygy." For the moment, there's not much to do besides check out a few features I've developed and explore what's finished in the first half of the first city.

Graphics inspired by Fenrir-Lunaris

Scripting help thus far has come from James Paige, Newbie_Power, Moogle1 and The Mad Cacti (Sadly, I probably wouldn't have even managed to post my game without his help Happy )

Check it out here:
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=999
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maptiles are excellent, and it felt good walking around the village. A sort of nostalgic feeling playing an OHR RPG at its core.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your map design was great. It makes it seem a lot more like a real place. More depth. The bridges are great, but how'd you do the diagonal walking up the stairs?
G-Wreck
OHRRPGCE Game Designer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you both enjoyed it Happy

Quote:
The bridges are great, but how'd you do the diagonal walking up the stairs?

Ha, I quoted that just to make sure I was doing it right.

Anyway, to make the diagonal walking effect I wrote this script:

(Feel free to use and adapt it if you wish)

Code:
plotscript,stairs_up_right,begin

variable (xnow)
variable (ynow)

xnow := hero pixel x (me)
ynow := hero pixel y (me)

#The variables reference the hero's current position in pixels, so the script knows where to move the hero from.

set tag (X,on) # This can be any tag, but setting it on will allow the 'while' function to perform its task here in a bit.  Later the tag will be turned 'off' once the hero has been moved.  The reason for checking this tag is
because it forces the script to stop working once the hero has moved diagonally one space.  If it didn't reference this tag, then the player could keep holding the arrow key down and moving diagonally even after they left the stairs.

while (

key is pressed (77)
   and (check tag (49) == true))

do (   
      suspend player

set hero direction (me, right)
      put hero (me, xnow+4, ynow--4) #This moves the player right and up 4 pixels

increment (xnow,4) #These next two functions update the hero's current position in pixels so that the next steps know where to begin moving the hero from.
      decrement (ynow,4)

set hero frame (me,0) #This makes the hero appear to continue walking.  If you didn't change the frames manually, the hero's sprite would just kind of hover to its next position because of the effect of the 'put hero' command.

wait for hero (me)

# The next four sets of commands do the same things as the one set above did; they merely continue doing it until the hero has completely moved one space diagonally.

put hero (me, xnow+4, ynow--4)
      increment (xnow,4)
      decrement (ynow,4)
      set hero frame (me,1)
      wait for hero (me)

increment (xnow,4)
      decrement (ynow,4)
      set hero frame (me,0)
      wait for hero (me)

increment (xnow,4)
      decrement (ynow,4)
      set hero frame (me,1)
      wait for hero (me)

increment (xnow,4)
      decrement (ynow,4)
      set hero frame (me,0)
      wait for hero (me)

set tag (49,off) #This is what makes the hero stop moving after the script has run its course.

resume player)

end

Then, I assigned the plotscript to an NPC with an invisible graphic, set them to activate when the player touches them, and placed them appropriately next to the stairs.

The script above makes them move only up and to the right, and even then only at the default speed of 4 pixels per tick. If you wanted the player to go another direction, and/or another speed, you would have to change the values of the 'put hero' command and the 'set hero direction' command.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that your game is Castle Paradox's 999th upload.

Which means I hope that whomever uploads the next game will give us a special one.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: