Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Aliens OKGO!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, here's your FTL communication:
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/

But seriously ... what?
Either this media report has twisted this research into something that it isn't ... or we have something big.
I suspect the former.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
Lol, here's your FTL communication:
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/

But seriously ... what?
Either this media report has twisted this research into something that it isn't ... or we have something big.
I suspect the former.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

The conjecture then alleges that the equipment was not properly re-calibrated, but in spite of this, the experiment was repeated on October 28, 1943. This time, the Eldridge not only became invisible, but she physically vanished from the area in a flash of blue light and teleported to Norfolk, Virginia, over 200 miles away. It is claimed that the Eldridge sat for some time in full view of men aboard the ship SS Furuseth, whereupon the Eldridge vanished from their sight, and then reappeared in Philadelphia at the site it had originally occupied. It was also said that the warship travelled back in time for about 10 seconds.

I heard about this a few years ago, oh and this thread is now about teleportation devices :p
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although still unresolved in the panspermia theory is how life could survive exiting and entering an atmosphere. It would have to be able to survive (A) being blasted into space by a meteor impact and (B) survive the intense heat of falling through the atmosphere of a planet and impacting the surface inside a meteor.

Re-entry looks easily surviveable to me, provided the meteoroid is the right size, angle of approach, etc and the microbes are inside the rock. The meteors can reach terminal velocity, I believe?, so impact can be nothing compared to being blasted out in the first place, and the inner parts of a meteorite can remain cool - see for example:
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=215

Here's a discussion on that teleportion article; some knowledgeable people weigh in:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1099175
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately quantum entanglement cannot be used for FTL or FTC. The article (like most media reports of Quantum Entanglement) does a lousy job of explaining.

An entangled pair can be separated to any distance, and if you measure them both there will be a correlation between the results-- but from each local perspective the results still appear totally random. You can't see the correlation until you have communicated at least one measurement so you can compare them and then the correlation becomes visible.

This idea of teleporting energy basically means that you could extract energy from the B half of the entangled pair, but you would still need to communicate the results from the A half of the pair using slower-than-light communications.

Or to use another analogy, pretend we have a pair of Quantum Entangled Magic Silver Dollars. I take mine on a rocket to Mars, You keep yours here on earth.

Now if you flip heads, mine will flip tails. and if you flip tails mine will flip heads.

At their closest, Earth and Mars are still 182 light seconds apart, so if we both flip our magic quantum coins at the same time, some kind of "spooky action at a distance" must be happening...

...except your coin toss looks completely random to you, and my coin toss seems completely random to me. We can't tell they are entangled until we communicate with each other over that 182 light second distance so we can compare our coin toss results and discoverer "Hey! Wow!" We always get the exact opposite results!

@Philadelphia Experiment: Has anybody seen the campy 1984 Sci Fi film based on this? It has been on my "Bad Films To Watch" list forever, but I have never got around to finding a copy of it.
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ James - right, that's my understanding too: the collapse of a wave function is instantaneous (a.k.a. non-local), but special relativity doesn't care because there is no transfer of information.
Er ... at least, that's true for a conventional non-deterministic interpretation of QM.

Apparently there exists some deterministic non-local theories to explain the results of QM (a.k.a. hidden variable theories). They're supposedly legit, although they don't seem to receive much attention. I'm not sure how they sort out the whole "information traveling faster than light" business.

Quote:
impact can be nothing compared to being blasted out in the first place

That's a good point.
Bagne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a reason to be sort of sad:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/17/star_trek_scuppered/
There's gotta be another way, even if it means making and dragging worm-hole openings across the universe.

I bet once we get a better idea of what this dark energy stuff is, physics will take a bizarre left turn. There's nothing to say that we don't have a completely new fundamental force of physics on our hands... is there? So far, we only have an idea of the (anti) gravitational properties of dark energy - something completely unlike anything we have ever seen anywhere else.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am betting that dark energy, like gravity, will turn out to be a curvature of space like gravity, rather than a force like electromagnetism.

(Although the difference between forces and space curvatures will probably be mooted by any Grand Unified theory, should one come into fruition.)

Another type of interstellar travel to talk about is generations ships. Assuming a civilization gives up on FTL travel, but they still want to travel to other stars, they need to build a self-sufficient traveling space-station. The original travelers won't make it to the destination, but their great great great great grandchildren might.
Bagne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read a really cool paper - it was proposing that gravity wasn't a fundamental force, and instead was an entropic force (Entropy! Of course!).

If I understand correctly, an entropic force is basically some kind of directed movement that's favoured by increasing entropy.
If you stretch out a polymer, it will recoil back into a knotty blob because there is less entropy in the system when all the polymer units lined up in a row. Apparently you can treat this polymer like a spring and even get an F = kx kind of behavior out of it. Bear in mind that the polymer isn't moving itself though, Brownian motion in the environment is.

So this paper worked a bunch of magic that I didn't understand: holographic universes and information theory ... but apparently a lot of the assumptions they used have been applied successfully in the past.
Anyways, from a set of 3-4 assumptions, they recreated Newton's Law of gravity (!!!) and Newton's Laws of Motion (!!!!!!!!!) and then went on to formulate equations from special relativity (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

I'll see if I can find a link for yous ...

EDIT:
Maybe we should just break down and make a "Geek out about cool science things" thread.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago there was some discussion about the probability of life spontaneously taking form as fully functional single cell.
It was mentioned (and I agree) that this isn't what scientists believed to have happened. Here's some experiments which support the notion that cellular life could have evolved from simpler chemical reactions (which in turn evolved from even simpler chemistry ... etc )
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/3325/life-evolution-a-test-tube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: