Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Five things you want to do before you die
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While all this is stuff I'd like to do, I don't feel any sort of urge to hurry up about doing it. I'm happy with my life as it is and wouldn't terribly much mind dying at any time.

5. Lose weight. I've dropped a considerable load since I began having to pay for my own food and/pr eat out of the trash, but I'm still rather fat. Perhaps I should say "get in shape" rather than "lose weight"; 230 pounds is healthy if you're strong enough to justify it.

4. Kill someone. I'd need a very good reason to do this, and since I don't have one, I'm quite likely to die without ever doing it.

3. Finish all the fanfiction I've been writing. I've got a lot of stories started, and enjoy writing all of them. But for some reason I don't seem to finish stuff very often.

2. Finish Maces Wild. This game has lost of goodness waiting to happen, and I want it to be well remembered. I just don't know where all my inpiration went.

*Drumroll*

1. Have sex with a woman. A human woman. Of the same species that I am. To whom I would be married. Smokin'

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am genuinely quite worried at number 4. That is meant to be a joke, right?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Ronin, 1,2,3 and 5 are all quite admirable, but 4 is alarming. I am glad at least that you qualified it by saying "I'd need a very good reason to do this".

Honestly, I am sure if I had a good enough reason to kill I might... but that belongs on my nightmares list, not on my goals list :P
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies and video games often have this weird thing where killing is equated with heroism. Like ... I donno, Metal Gear Solid.

I can understand wanting to be in a situation that demands an act of heroism on my part - but I don't agree with the movies - I think heroism very rarely involves inflicting violence.

I often wonder if I would have volunteered for WW2.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
Movies and video games often have this weird thing where killing is equated with heroism. Like ... I donno, Metal Gear Solid.

Actually you get rewarded for not killing people in MGS :p The dogtags in MGS 2 only appeared if the dude was alive, and those got you goodies after game completion.

But yeah, besides that they do often promote violence and killing as acts of heroism Final Fantasy being a great example, I mean what sort of hero goes around killing small forest animals for there money?[/offtopic]

Hmm 5 things I'd like to do before I die, I'd definately say:

5: Amass a huge guitar collection (well bigger than the 18 odd item collection I already have)

4: Learn a 3rd language (with my 1st being Welsh and 2nd being English)

3: Memorise the Plotscripting Dictionary

2: Release a decent game

1: Getting a PH.d in Medicine or Biochemistry

Man my list seems so boring next to some of the others :p
Bagne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, biochem is stupendously cool! That's not boring at all.
I wanna build a DNA computer.

Methinks my grandma is Welsh, but I didn't know that it was a language :-S (she only speaks English). What is it, Germanic?

In MGS I remember Snake describing how people are savage animals, that war and violence is inevitable, and that this justifies his actions (killing). This was long ago with the original game, and I was a wee lad, so maybe I's misremembering.
Fullcircle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're probably a little mixed up about MGS's message- the series actually (and oddly, considering the setting) has a continuing message of pacifism, the futility of war, and the manipulation of soldiers to achieve the agendas of politicians. For instance, one of the sections of MGS3 has Snake wading through a river populated with the ghosts of every single enemy that has been killed throughout the entire game, each one of them asking why he was killed. It's a pretty harrowing part of the game, and helps to drive home the message. This article does a pretty good job of explaining- http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_29/177-Metal-Gear-Pacifist.
[/rant]. Sorry about that, I'm just a huge MGS fan.

On Topic:
5. Own some more guitars. As in, more than two (18 would be heaven for me).
4. Have a pretty nice house.
3. Get an actual career. Not a job, a career.
2. Earn a degree, preferably in something that I enjoy/is actually useful.
1. Get married, and be a good husband.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember: Never bring light to my lair, and always let me make your face the greatest in Coridai.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Bagne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - this might be interesting, let's also make a list of cool-things-that-we-have-done-which,-had-we-not-yet-done-them-would-likely-still-be-on-our-'to-do'-list:

1) Climbed the walls of the UofS chemistry building (to the flag-pole at the very top of it's castle-like roof)
2) Helped design a gamma ray detector for nuclear physics research
3) Went on a mountainside fossil dig with a palaeobotanist
4) Played professionally with a symphony, and toured France with a youth orchestra
5) Walked on water across a toxic uranium-polluted lake at a north-Saskatchewan uranium mine ... during which time I probably should have drowned

Okay, fine ... 5) should probably instead say "walked on a layer of floating vegetation across a deep, toxic lake of uranium-polluted water". This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever done, so I try to describe it in extra-awesome terms. Also, I didn't mean to walk across that lake, I only realized I was standing over a lake when I was half-way across.
I also feel like mentioning that: 6) there has been an elephant in my backyard ... but I wasn't responsible for putting the elephant there, so that maybe doesn't count.

Yeah, I'm probably mixed up about MSG, I only saw 80% of the original, and I was 13, and I haven't seen any of the others.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Bagne

1) See and shop in downtown Manhattan, NY
2) Venture to the southern islands (Neherlands Antilles in this case)
3) Acquire a significant amount of facial hair (goatee yay)
4) Build a snowman (you'd be surprised, snow's been very rare around here lately)
5) Locate the best free RPG Maker ever
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I have done:

5) Been mistaken for a woman by close friends and family members, without trying.

4) Living the true hippy life; Never eatting meat, walking everywhere, never cutting my hair and occationally saving small animals from cat.

3) (Accidentally) Dived off a cliff in Anglesea that was roughly the equivilant of a 4 story tall building, and recieved no bodily harm.

2) Overtook and jumped onto a moving vehicle whilst wearing full platemail.

1) Was given my dream come true last July, where I preformed Hotel California to a large live audience on my EDS-1275...and was given the smoke machine and all the lighting effects to mess around with...

...Maybe this explains why my first list was so dull :p
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
I agree! Ronin, 1,2,3 and 5 are all quite admirable, but 4 is alarming. I am glad at least that you qualified it by saying "I'd need a very good reason to do this".

Honestly, I am sure if I had a good enough reason to kill I might... but that belongs on my nightmares list, not on my goals list Raspberry!

Even if there was a good reason for it you should think twice before killing someone. Once you did it will follow you for the rest of your life.

It's a bit like the philosophical question "If you could go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby, would you do it?". I mean it's a good reason, but even if you did it you don't know if you will be more happy than before (it's highly likely you'll actually be less happy) and the change in history might end up in being worse than before because maybe the 2nd World War will start 50 years later with better technology which will result in the end up the world.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Bagne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Hitler babies

I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would make much difference.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cool science fiction story would be one where a time traveler goes back and assassinates hitler, and returns to their own time to be horrified to discover that rommel won the war, and the whole course of history has been shifted.

Somebody has probably already written it.
Sh4d0ws

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'd say:

1). Become an entrepreneur of some sort.
2). Grow a beard.
3). Donate an organ to science.
4). Have a near-death experience..
5). Discover the purpose of meaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: