Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Game of the Year 2009

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: OHR Game of the Year 2009 Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.

Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Most Ridiculous will inevitably stem from the wide range of strange, or even demented ideas entered into the 48-hour contest and, to a greater or lesser degree, the Halloween contest.
Wilthawiya. Sleepover. A Very Funktronic X-Mas. Spooky Test. Santa Bang-Bang.

Discuss.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Okedoke was weird/ridiculous at all, but maybe that's just because I'm used to quirky Earthbound-type worlds.

I would, however, consider it a top-tier OHR game for 2009.
Either that or pester DarkBlubber (or ffnflgarbl or whatever) to finish the game in 2010. I kinda like it how it was back when I first downloaded it, but who knows how much better it might get?

EDIT: Which reminds me. I wanna have SHiIDA done by next Halloween, in part because I need to get myself trained to attack deadlines, and in part because I want to finish Viridia before long, too.

REPLY to below: (because I don't feel like reposting)
That's an excellent way to put it. I guess I was thinking of only surreal-type, disturbing-type strangeties and ridiculosities. Gotta be open-minded, this is an important vote!

Last edited by Baconlabs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm finished with all the games that I had planned to play for this vote. I don't play fan games, so Astroboy, Dragonball Z, and Sailor Moon, while possibly fun for what they are, won't be on this list. Likewise, I'm not a fan of horror, so I haven't played Bloodlust, and therefore won't know how to rank it, though I'd imagine it belongs on someone's list.

Best Game of 2009: The overall best games. Vote for five to ten games.

1. Slimes

This does more than give us a stylistic puzzler with neat design and near flawless plotscripting; it gives us all these tricks and still manages to be fun. Though, it’s the level design feature that puts this game over the top. Well done. The music is also excellent.

2. Don’t Eat Soap

Does everything that Slimes does, and with great 8-bit graphics. It loses a point for not having longer gameplay or a level creator.

3. Okédoké

The best traditional RPG experience to come to the OHR since the Vikings of Midgard. Yes, it’s crass. But the art style is similar to any classic Game Boy Color game, the maps require strategy to complete, and the characters are some lively firecrackers who all have a purpose for being in the party.

4. OHR House Heroes

While not as humorous as OHR House 3 (and arguably not as well-written on a dialogue level), it has one of the best ideas behind a reality show I’ve seen in a while (good vs. evil; teamwork vs. competition), and executes it with amazing graphic and sensory detail, offers us superb voice acting in the final chapter, and gives us what secures its spot on the top list, a host of bonus features and games to reward the viewer for watching the whole season.

5. Tightfloss Maiden

A moody look into a character’s psyche, this game makes an experience out of isolation and suspense, and does so with realistic animations, sounds, and action. The settings themselves practically breathe as the main character searches the landscape for her identity, and the combination of strategic navigation and exits keeps this from becoming a straightforward adventure game.

6. The Wizard’s Bomb

The second best traditional RPG experience to come to the OHR since the Vikings of Midgard. There is almost no reason for this game to make the list, as the story, the characters, and the setting are cookie cutter samples from RPG Design 101. But add a 15-minute time limit and too many places to explore within the limit, and you have yourself a game that has to be replayed again and again. And that, my friends, it what makes a game fun, and fun is what makes a game worth reaching the Top 10.

7. Village People: The Video Game

Surlaw is the only other game designer I know who would sooner flavor a game with pointless text and puzzles for the sake of content (i.e. immersion, or better yet, options) than to submit an emaciated game that most players would soon forget. This game gives us the perfect reminder of that quality whenever we equip the disco ball so that the entire screen will flash. Utterly pointless, and oh so awesome.

8. Mr.Triangle’s Maze

You may notice by now that I prefer the puzzlers to the side-scrollers, and thus, I’ve voted accordingly. And few OHR puzzle games are more exciting than this one. Just when you think RMZ has implemented his last greatest trick, he throws you a curveball and adds a rock band to the stage. Where does he come up with this stuff?

9. Bob the Hamster in Baconthulhu

On the surface, this seems like an ordinary dungeon-crawler with Pac-Man style coin collecting and the occasional NPC who sells you crap. But when you consider that the entire game is randomly generated and that you can only see what the fog of war allows, you have to admit that this game is pretty impressive.

10. OHR House 3: On the Plantation

While the majority of the game came out in 2008, I think this is worth adding to the list simply because it ended the series so well. I don’t care what anyone else says, I loved the Shadowiii montage.

Best Graphics: Best style, best pixelation, etc. Whatever made your eyes weep with joy. Vote for two to five games.

Overview: I’m voting based on style and/or dedication to perfection, not so much on prettiness. The Top 5 and the honorable mentions are entries that attempted to look nice based on the game’s needs, whether full-color, 8-bit, or incredibly detailed.

1. Genesis
2. Stranded
3. Blasted Earth
4. Okédoké!
5. OHR House Heroes

Honorable Mentions:

Wandering Hamster
Don’t Eat Soap
Tightfloss Maiden
SHiIDA
Timestream Saga – Arcadia Incident Report
Phantom Tactics
Village People: The Video Game
Light Fight

Best Design: This can be Plotscripting, map design, battle systems, or any other technical game aspects. Vote for two to five games.

Overview: I’m an exploration/puzzle fiend, so I am voting according to how a game distributes its gameplay resources to make it fun and challenging. I’m also giving honorable mentions to any game that dared to be different (that I enjoyed).

1. Slimes
2. Don’t Eat Soap
3. Mr.Triangle’s Maze
4. Wizard’s Bomb
5. Tightfloss Maiden

Honorable Mentions:

Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu
Timpoline
Sleepover
Phantom Tactics
Village People: The Videogame
Entrepreneur: The Beginning
Okédoké!
Wandering Hamster
Tetris OHR
Maze of the Red Mage
[<3]
Do You Want to be a Hero?
The Slime Wars
Light Fight
Surlaw Armageddon
Quest for the Bone

Best Writing: Story, dialogue, world creation. Vote for two to five games.

Overview: These are the games that I thought had the best character development, dialogue, and overall story. Pretty straightforward.

1. OHR House 3: On the Plantation
2. Tightfloss Maiden
3. Entrepreneur: The Beginning
4. Village People: The Video Game
5. OHR House Heroes

Honorable Mentions:

A Shot In The Dark
Okedoke!
Sleepover
Surlaw Armageddon
Wandering Hamster
Timestream Saga – Arcadia Incident Report

Most Ridiculous: What games baffled your mind this year? The reasons don't matter. It could be an astonishingly confusing game, a shockingly funny one, whatever. Some sort of wild card category or something.

1. Sleepover
2. [<3]
3. The Pope’s War on Science
4. Okédoké!
5. Light Fight

Most Anticipated 2010: What games would you most like to see updated this year, and which announced games are you most excited about? You'll have to do the digging on your own for this one, because we get dozens of proposed games that never come out and finding/listing them all would take forever.

1. Viridia

Ever since Baconlabs posted the first specs of the game, I was eagerly anticipating it. After seeing what he’s capable of with SHiIDA, I am even more eagerly awaiting the release of this game. And I suspect that once script multitasking is implemented, it won’t be long before we see a demo. And I’ll be looking forward to that, too.

2. Saminaster & Sorcery

I got to play a test copy of this, and I have to say I am starving for a full demo. I loved the game that it’s based on (Shifter), and I love even more the gameplay/puzzle/character switch mechanics it employs even now. This is gonna be a head-turner when it comes out, if only people knew now.

3. The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

I’m working hard to make this one of those most world-consumed RPGs on the OHR, stuffing it with every interactive thing I can think of. It’s a long, exhausting production, but I think the finished product will be hard to forget. I hope it will be ready this year.

4. Okédoké! (Complete)

It’s already close to complete, and I admit the novelty is starting to wear a little thin. But it’s such a great game as a whole that it would be unfair not to have a finished version this year.

5. Vikings of Midgard (Complete)

Same as above, but the novelty has run even thinner. Thankfully, Fenrir comes up with new ways to keep the game fresh each release.

6. Marooned

I’ve had my eye on this title for a while, and given the combination of Mr. 8-bit’s humor and some weird phenomenon that puts a snowfield in the middle of a tropical island, my patience for waiting for it is deteriorating.

7. Entrepreneur: The Beginning (Complete)

My only other game that stands any chance at being finished in 2010, I still look forward to implementing all the fancy tricks and areas that I didn’t have time to implement last summer, like business spying and sabotage, neighborhood chores, nightlife socializing, and hot dog vending.

8. Surlaw Armageddon and Village People: The Video Game (Complete)

Yes, I’m including both in the same position because I anticipate both equally, but I will be happy with just one complete game this year and the complete other game in 2011. Whichever comes first, I want to play the full versions of both by December 31, 2011. You’ve been challenged, Surlaw.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to play 10 more OHR games before voting, and if one particularly inspires me, I'll probably review it on Slime Salad or HamsterSpeak. I decided on the following games based on updates or intrigue from some source, such as this thread or articles HamsterSpeak.

1) [<3] by TwinHamster because it sounds so dang weird
2) BlastedEarth by BlastedEarth and
3) Spoonweaver by Spoonweaver for the novelty of it
4) Bloodlust by Onlyoneinall, I've always wanted a chance to play it
5) Genesis by Bair & Bair, because that one HamsterSpeak article stirred up so much controversy
6) House Escape by Spoonweaver for no real reason
7) Legends of Nedaria by NeoSpade, sounds promising based on a HamsterSpeak review
EDIT: Whoa, my memory is horrible.
8) The Wizard's Bomb by Camdog, since it's so popular
9) Okedoke by DarkBlubber and
10) Tightfloss Maiden by Pepsi Ranger since they were updated
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: