Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

An Epic Quest for Critique and Advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fullcircle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: An Epic Quest for Critique and Advice. Reply with quote

So, after reading through some tutorials, studying the artwork from Vikings of Midgard and, finally, actually drawing something, I've come up with this.

So, in the interest of getting better at the graphical end of the OHR, I've plastered it up here for everyone to take a look at and tell me what I've done wrong. Or right, if that happens to be the case.

Critique away. Razz

EDIT: I guess I should explain what it's supposed to be, yeah? It's the walkabout sprite for a nice rotund robot person. The up and down frames are together, since they each reach the edges of the frames, so just ignore that. And, now that I've stuck this up here, I start noticing mistakes. Go figure. Anyway, the two headed left didn't get reshaded like I should've, so their light source is coming from the top left instead of the top right.

Also, Pbucket apparently likes to save things as JPGs, so it's a little bit blurry.

Last edited by Fullcircle on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can zoom any image by clicking on it on these forums.

Looks like a metal Jigglypuff!
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
Rotund robot.

That was my impression before I read your text - so, it works!

I reccommend two things -
1) I let his legs swing back in forth - or else it will look like he's hovering when he walks.

2) You might want to adjust his shoulders: They're higher when you look at the side view. If you lowered them so that you could better see his head, move them back on his body, and lift them again.
When I see body parts move around between perspective changes, I get confused - I suspect its the same for other people.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely from a design perspective, if you want to put more emphasis on "fat" instead of plain ol' "rotund", you might want to bump down that fat pack backpack (especially as seen on the left/right sprites) so that it resembles buttocks.
And change the visor color to something that sticks out a bit more, perhaps red or simply a lighter/darker shade of green. Right now it blends into the rest of the bot.

ALSO, .png is the image format of the gods.
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:
ALSO, .png is the image format of the gods.

WOW! Nobody told me this! Awesome!
Fullcircle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, cool! Replies!

@Bagne: I'm a little confused about the shoulders. It seems to me that the side view ones are lower- so were you suggesting that I lower the front/back-view ones? OR am I misunderstanding you?
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - my bad.

They're higher when you look at his front.
I'm just recommending that they be consistent.

If you prefer the high shoulders, you can move his shoulders up, and towards his back in the side views - that way, they don't obscure his head.

EDIT: Oh, and feel free to use other colours. Metal isn't only grey. Metal can be a variety of colours - golden yellow, coppery orange-red. It can also be painted!
I take advantage of colour contrast to distinguish different parts of the body. If you make his head, hands and feet red - it might be easier for the player to understand his posture and gestures.
Fullcircle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's new and somewhat improved. The shoulders are fixed (and the front/back view ones have been altered to look a bit better). The legs are now moving a bit more realistically, so he's not hovering, and the visor is lighter green. All following suggestions. ^.^ (Also, the shading is fixed)

I left the pack where it was, because... well, really for no reason other than that I rather like the look of where it is. As for the extra coloring, I've left it off because this particular sprite is for my own use- testing scripts and stuff on a practice file. I wanted to do it well, as general spritemaking practice, but keep it simple so that animations and the like can be easily done.

I'm not sure that I've got shading entirely right. Aslo any other sort of critique is entirely welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: