Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHRRPGCE ypsiliform stable release
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: OHRRPGCE ypsiliform stable release Reply with quote

The Ypsiliform stable release is official today! If you haven't been following the nightly wip builds, and want to know what is new and cool, whatsnew.txt has the glorious details.

Get it from the download page

What is your favorite new feature in this release?
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an old whatsnew.txt from that link.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
I'm getting an old whatsnew.txt from that link.

Try holding shift and clicking reload
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good:

I know I should probably say "slices," as that's the big new addition, but I'm really partial to the "number from string" command. It makes quantity-based games (e.g. "How many heroes would you like to buy?") much more versatile than they were in the past (if you can claim they were even possible before this implementation).

The updated layer system, while a little confusing at the moment, will have a nice payoff for graphics and presentation fiends, so this gets my vote for best internal update.

Improved chaining and alternative death types gets a tied best-battle-related-update-in-years vote.

The What?!:

I think manually adjusting enemy cursor locations is my least favorite of the new improvements. When I first discovered it, I assumed it changed the target point where an attack displays (or flies to) and enemy--that's at least the feature I had been secretly hoping for for years. The reality of what this feature is left me highly disappointed.

The Verdict:

Overall, I think this update will take the OHR to a higher level, especially with the addition of slices.

Features I Anticipate for Z:

Plotscripting:

I'd really like to see "shop manipulation" commands a possibility for Z.

Internal Nonbattle:

The 2000-32000 bitset for tags.

Battle:

Global variables for battle statistics. Improved enemy targeting. Faster execution of battle animations (for chaining sequences that require more than three frames of attack animation).

That should be good for now.

Nice update.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh, what?
What did that do?
Why does shift make "reload" extra good?

Did you just climb inside my computer and play a clever prank? What did you use, the internets?
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl-F5 or shift reload or whatever the browser uses forces the browser to pull the document down instead of following it's internal rules for when it's going to pull a new copy.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle chains and the new death animations really struck me, the latter was very unexpected and will be put to good use immediately.
Needless to say, though, this brings up another question from another board, will the user be able to program his/her own animations? (Death or otherwise, I'd imagine this would be nifty when applied to other things)

I was slightly miffed at F1 becoming "Help" and pushing all the old function commands over to the right, but I'll adjust. I'm sure it's a godsend for newbies trying to figure out what the buttons do.

Attack transmogrification could come in handy, I'd never thought of it before. Could be put to great use in making battles interesting. I could invent a Duck Ray that turns any non-boss enemy into a Duck.

New features for the Z release... If I'd have to pick 3 from the Plans index, I'd say Script Multitasking, Sprite Frames, and Enemy AI are at the top of my list. The first one is especially important, otherwise I won't be able to do all that nifty stuff with townsperson NPCs in Viridia like I planned.
Buni Pickney
Bear Chess World Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that once I play around with and understand slices I'll like those best, but I've been waiting for a long time to get attack chaining and text box sound effects, so those are my favorite new things. I agree that transmogrification was a great idea, too.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, I love everything about the new release (well except for the fact I can't play with my joystick). With the new item limit I'll be able to start doing what I've wanted to do for a long time, and ontop of that the new enemy death animations are awesome.

For the Z release, it'd be awesome to see the Bigger Walkabouts, the Animating Enemies and while not a nessesity the plan for Raising the Tag Limit would be an awesome thing to go along side these releases raised items limit. (Oh, and what would also be awesome would be if transmorgifying attacks worked on heroes :p)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this feedback is nice :)

oh, and if you press CTRL+J and recalibrate the joystick, it should start working again.
Buni Pickney
Bear Chess World Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like it wouldn't be impossible to transmogrify a hero's picture into a new picture if you can change the enemy altogether, and it would also be cool to be able to "revert" transmogrification so that the enemy could do something about being turned into a duck, for example.

http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/How_do_I_add_screens_before_my_title_game_screen%3F

Just to clarify, this "adding screens before the title screen" thing is still just for WIP builds, right?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buni Pickney wrote:
Just to clarify, this "adding screens before the title screen" thing is still just for WIP builds, right?

No, that works in ypsiliform. I'll update the article to remove the WIP reference.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:

The What?!:

I think manually adjusting enemy cursor locations is my least favorite of the new improvements. When I first discovered it, I assumed it changed the target point where an attack displays (or flies to) and enemy--that's at least the feature I had been secretly hoping for for years. The reality of what this feature is left me highly disappointed.

I don't know why I never thought of that. I should add an attack animation offset too.

Actually, attack animations have been positioned slightly wrong for several years. They are supposed to be bottom-center, but instead they are bottom left, and I just keep forgetting to fix them.

I do have plans to make all the battle sprites slice-based (which will make things so much easier when we eventually get around to battlescripting)
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered, this happened. What happened to the last menu item? It can still be selected, but it can no longer be seen. Is this intentional?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. That's "Quit Editing".

I guess this is why it's better to create real release candidates instead of testing nightly builds, but the chance of making a mistake like this is pretty tiny :P

Baconlabs wrote:
Battle chains and the new death animations really struck me, the latter was very unexpected and will be put to good use immediately.
Needless to say, though, this brings up another question from another board, will the user be able to program his/her own animations? (Death or otherwise, I'd imagine this would be nifty when applied to other things)

Quite a lot of new features - I'd say at least half personally - aren't expected even by us. Unless I'm working on some large plan, I'll just be cleaning up some code or fixing a bug and come up with an idea for a new related feature, as it was for death animations.

Yes, customisable animations are planned, part of the plan for a new sprite format, and I wager will make it into the next release. I think this will be the biggest feature of the next version.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I'm crippled!

I just noticed that Ypsiliform took a lethal shot at sound effects importing. A chunk of my WAV effects will no longer translate into the OHR (especially my roster of ambient sounds). I have two 5-second sounds I just downloaded that won't even show up on the import list. And, that sucks because I got them from Soundsnap, which doesn't list filesize, and only gives five free downloads a month.

I know I read something about a 500KB cap prior to Ypsiliform's official release, but I thought that was for .OGG files. WAV files are inherently large (the majority costs more than 800KB--while some of my ambient (and functional) sounds downloaded at 7MB), but they convert low (almost all of them reverted below 500KB when converted to OGG in-engine), and this limitation allows little room for the import of decent sound effects. Half the stuff I could import (and use) in the past will no longer import. This is most frustrating; this renders much of my sound folder useless.

I used to be able to import and play minute-long ambient sounds. Now I'm lucky to import anything longer than three seconds.

HELP! I can't use this update, or any after, if this persists.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: