Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Ypsiliform Release Candidate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Ypsiliform Release Candidate Reply with quote

We are very very close to a new stable release. I would greatly appreciate it if everybody could Download the release-candidate and test it out. If it is indeed worthy of being called "stable", we could be making it official within a week.

Lots of cool new features are available in this, so if you haven't been keeping up with the nightly builds already, please check whatsnew.txt to see what is new.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new layer system has a bit of a decapitation problem. When I added Layer 3 to the map, but gave it a different tileset from the default, my Layer 2 tiles all but vanished. I still have all layers set for visibility. When I bring Layer 3 back to the default tileset (or the matching number), everything returns to normal.

I didn't change any other layer from the standard positioning.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that it isn't recognizing transparent tiles, and is instead turning everything from the overhead tile layers invisible. There may also be a corruption problem because when I give Layer 3 a palette from a different map (but don't lay any tiles), it bungs up all of Layer 2's tiles.

I am, at least, able to add a third layer, but the tileset has to match the default for it keep from wrecking the visuals.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a bug alright. Investigations commencing...
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried numerous games and maps, but can't reproduce this. Need more information:

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
The new layer system has a bit of a decapitation problem. When I added Layer 3 to the map, but gave it a different tileset from the default, my Layer 2 tiles all but vanished. I still have all layers set for visibility. When I bring Layer 3 back to the default tileset (or the matching number), everything returns to normal.

Did you access the layer menu from the top level map menu, or by pressing Ctrl+L while placing tiles? Did you add a layer by selecting a layer (the last one?) and inserting a new layer after it, or by pressing + without a layer selected? Were any other layers set to use the default tileset? It looks like you are in the habit of always setting layer 0 to default.

I guess it would be easier if you just said which game and map you were working on (and reuploaded if required) and said exactly what you did.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
I didn't change any other layer from the standard positioning.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that it isn't recognizing transparent tiles, and is instead turning everything from the overhead tile layers invisible. There may also be a corruption problem because when I give Layer 3 a palette from a different map (but don't lay any tiles), it bungs up all of Layer 2's tiles.

I am, at least, able to add a third layer, but the tileset has to match the default for it keep from wrecking the visuals.

By "palette" I assume you mean tileset. If so, aren't you describing identical steps to reproduce as above? What do you mean by "from a different map"?
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the general game data section, the new enemy death animations can't be set as the global default.
Buni Pickney
Bear Chess World Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Draw Hero Graphics, rotating either a frame or a full set to the side (where the dimensions would be incompatible) causes the graphic to look really messed up, so you may want to simply prevent this from being an option or truncate what gets rotated in this case. It doesn't seem to mess other graphics up to rotate them, presumably because most OHR graphics are square.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoSpade wrote:
In the general game data section, the new enemy death animations can't be set as the global default.

Thanks, fixed.

Buni Pickney wrote:
Under Draw Hero Graphics, rotating either a frame or a full set to the side (where the dimensions would be incompatible) causes the graphic to look really messed up, so you may want to simply prevent this from being an option or truncate what gets rotated in this case. It doesn't seem to mess other graphics up to rotate them, presumably because most OHR graphics are square.

I found that attempting to rotate full-set of 8x32x40 hero graphics was crashing because it was too wide, and I've fixed that.

However, I can't reproduce any problem when rotating a single Hero frame. The sprite editor has special handling for rotating non-square graphics - the rotated sprite sticks out over the edge of the frame so that it can be rotated further, rather than immediately truncating. Could you maybe provide a screenshot?
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:
i've downloaded the nightly as of january 03, 2010. i can't import sound, it just converts repeatedly and switching to a different window or pressing escape stops this but it just imports the first sound in the folder, not the sound that i need. does anybody else experience this? how do i fix it? thanks...

It's the same in the candidate also, I just checked it myself, it's a real pain :S
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be a misunderstanding about how the new layer system works. I tried doing this with an old version of Tightfloss Maiden that didn't have multiple layers installed and I didn't run into any of the problems I stated above.

I am confused as to why the tilesets (those above the selected entry point) seem to revert to default every time I add a new layer. It seems like I have to keep watching for unintended changes, like a default tileset for Layer 0 becoming "tileset 1" when the default is 6. Stuff like that.

The decapitation problem happened when I inserted a layer while highlighting Layer 0. I didn't realize that the other layers were pushed down wherever the insertion point occurred. So what I was probably seeing was my former Layer 2 (which became Layer 3) getting scrambled when I gave Layer 3 (the former Layer 2, which was still active on the map) a new (and mostly empty) tileset.

At the end of the day, I think the problem came down to a lack of updated documentation explaining the behavoir, or a tired game author who wasn't paying close attention to what he was doing.

The only real problem I can forsee persisting is the notion that everything above the insertion point reverts to the default tileset (or in one case, changes the tileset), and that can become a matter of confusion if you're working with 130+ tilesets and can't remember which ones the map was supposed to use. Other than that, I think we can disregard the original complaint for now. I would just clarify the new layer behavior in the F1 help menu, as it is clearly different than Ubersetsung's behavior.

No need to panic (or hold the new release) on account of this.

Of course, it may be that I'm not seeing the cause for the tileset reverting, either, and maybe we should just wait for other complaints on the matter before calling this problem an actual problem.

And for the record, I insert my layers through the main menu. I never use Ctrl+L.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buni Pickney
Bear Chess World Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still reproduce both of the problems in the latest nightly. Sad... Well, here's the screenshot set...I used a game that I had been building in xocolatl+2 and upgraded it to the new nightly version, if that helps. By the way, this only happens if you rotate the picture where it doesn't normally fit and then go back to the hero graphic sets.
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found another bug, this one's in game, it doesn't recognise joysticks anymore, I tried the same joystick in both the stable release and the release candidate, and stable picks it up find.

Is this a bug, or is joystick support just out or?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:
i've downloaded the nightly as of january 03, 2010. i can't import sound, it just converts repeatedly and switching to a different window or pressing escape stops this but it just imports the first sound in the folder, not the sound that i need. does anybody else experience this? how do i fix it? thanks...

This is fixed now.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
I am confused as to why the tilesets (those above the selected entry point) seem to revert to default every time I add a new layer. It seems like I have to keep watching for unintended changes, like a default tileset for Layer 0 becoming "tileset 1" when the default is 6. Stuff like that.

That's definitely not meant to happen; sounds like a bug. However I still can't reproduce it. Does it happen randomly or under unknown circumstances, or can you provide more detailed instructions, and either a screenshot or description of your exact layer setup or an updated file?

Quote:
At the end of the day, I think the problem came down to a lack of updated documentation explaining the behavoir, or a tired game author who wasn't paying close attention to what he was doing.

On top of that confusion, I caught two other bugs: that new layers sometimes start with a random tileset instead of default, and that the enabled/visible state of a state could be scrambled when moving it or inserting a layer somewhere before it. However these don't explain what you're describing, so it seems that there's still another bug.

I added a note to the help menu that inserting layers will renumber layers after it.

Buni Pickney wrote:
By the way, this only happens if you rotate the picture where it doesn't normally fit and then go back to the hero graphic sets.

Ah ha! Thanks, I've managed to fix this now. It'll be in the next nightly.

EDIT:

NeoSpade wrote:
I've found another bug, this one's in game, it doesn't recognise joysticks anymore, I tried the same joystick in both the stable release and the release candidate, and stable picks it up find.

Is this a bug, or is joystick support just out or?

Well, gfx_sdl supposedly supports a joystick (just one), but I don't know whether it had ever been tested. I don't even have a joystick to test with at the moment. Maybe James could look at it.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to dig up my joystick and test this evening.

Neospade, was the joystick plugged in before game started? or did you plug it in after game was running? I vaguely remember something about the joystick being ignored if it wasn't attached at the title screen.

Also, can you check if the joystick still works with the old fb backend? To test, run:

game.exe -gfx fb
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged in before I started game.exe, I ran it with both the Stable and the Release candidate.
It works fine with Xo+2, but fails to register with the new nightly (I downloaded the latest just then just to be sure)
I tried it with the old backend, to no avail, so it isn't that which is causing the problem.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeemcee just found and fixed the joystick bug. It affected all backends. I am currently forcing an early nightly build so y'all can test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: