Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Concrete or Side Effects?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer?
Concrete (make each mixture unique)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Side Effect (allow combinations to produce two or more items)
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Concrete or Side Effects? Reply with quote

Well, I'm putting the wraps on a new game function for Tightfloss Maiden called "Item Cooking," which allows the player to mix up to three loot items in a bottle and create a new item. In my testing, I discovered a side effect where mixing three items together has the potential to create more than one variety of item based on the ingredients chosen. For example (and this is purely an example), mixing chicken and broth together would make "soup," while chicken and tuna would make "dinner." But mixing chicken, broth, and tuna together would make "big meal" as its base, but also "soup" and "dinner."

So my question is this: As a player, would you prefer to have the bonus items from one mixture, or would you prefer each combination yield one specific item to increase the element of discovery for each mixture?

If this helps your decision, there will be a journal that records each discovery as it's made, so the player can go back and check to see which ingredients make which items.

Let me know ASAP. I'm releasing this update very soon.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: We don't have strike-through tags? Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer to only have a 1:1 ratio of Combinations:Results, so I have to vote the second option.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this cooking element is easy and simple to execute in-game, because otherwise, I will never bother with it unless absolutely necessary.
And, this being Tightfloss Maiden, it probably will be! So I ask you to put all your effort into making this practice fun instead of tedious. I usually can't stand cooking in games, but Harvest Moon and Paper Mario are nice exceptions.

Back on topic, ordinarily it would be ideal to have each cooking combo equate to one meal, but again, this is Tightfloss Maiden. I want as much of an advantage as I can get, so fork over that bonus food!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a single result from a mixture is best... although I can think of special cases where the multiple results would be cool too...

Maybe the normal mode should be to only produce one result, but if the player earns a special "Chef Skill" they could get the multiple results from a single mixture.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I like James's suggestion best. I've leaned toward the notion of discovery, since I like the idea of discovering new combinations and being rewarded with a new item when you make a successful concoction. But I must admit that I was intrigued by the side effect. So what if I unlock the ability to make multiple items with one mixture after something like fifty mixtures?

To address the other comments:

About the 1:1 ratio of a combination always producing results, I created this to always yield something, be it a functional item or a "mess." In the future, you'll be able to sell your failures for 5 GP a piece.

The idea behind this feature is that for the first few chapters, there won't really be any shops. So all your healing items, special items, and whatnot will have to be made from the spoils you collect. For example, if you mix the bandaging item called "grub slime" (which by itself will heal 30 HP) with "water," you'll create a stronger healing item called "grub juice" (which will instead heal 50 HP). The trade-off is that water usually restores energy (the equivalent to MP, and the only thing protecting you from dehydration), so you'll have to decide whether the enhancement is worth it. Right now I have a little over 30 manufactured items available, including one that will teach you a new technique.

Again, I think the fun in this will be for the discovery, though, I'm recording all discoveries in a journal so that you won't have to "rediscover" anything.

James, I'd be interested in hearing about these "special cases" you're thinking of.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By special cases I just meant that sometimes more than one item from one combination might make sense. Like if you mix 1 flour 1 butter and 1 sugar, you get 10 cookies. Just that sort of thing.

Also it might be cool if you had a couple different types of "mess" results for the bad combinations, and one of them could turn out to be an ingredient in some other combo.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder: The game (and this feature) is out now.

Did anyone get a chance to play with this Item Mixing feature yet?

Anything you'd like to see changed?

Does it seem like something you'd find useful later in the game?

How many failed concoctions do you make on average before finding a successful combination?

There are 26 possible successful combinations currently available. How many have you figured out so far?

As usual, I'd like to make this feature and this game better, so comments are helpful.

Tightfloss Maiden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: