Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

ideas flooding the mind

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: ideas flooding the mind Reply with quote

im sure everyone gets so much ideas and they juggle everything but usually couldn't finish anything... or maybe that is just me or what do you do to finish everything you've started?

Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story of my life.

The answer is - I finish one project at the expense of all else. Then, I have one fewer projects. This doesn't work very well.

If you figure out a better way, let me know.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish i could, i usually start with a lot of effort on a lot of projects and end up putting the unfinished stuff together into one sad compilation.

J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, similar here. Only difference being I have a dozen (literally. Just counted today) different games in the process, none finished. Haven't finished a single game, as of yet. I run into a problem, stop, start a new one or continue another one, rinse and repeat. My imagination runs out most often.
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I always try to link my ideas together with a single theme, if I come up with a new idea I always look at my current games theme, if it doesn't tie in well, then I leave it in a word document in the OHR file folder :p I come back to things, unless either a) I realise the idea is very silly, or b) I find a way to tie it into my current work.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Only, my ideas are WAY too far apart to link. Unless I was aiming for the Terrible Games contest. Rolling Eyes

So... I try and try and hopefully I'll have a short couple-hours game done by Feb. I'm trying, anyways.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick isn't so much linking ideas as adapting them.

A lot of people will work on a game with one protagonist, then get an idea for another protagonist with their own story. Most people start a new game. That 2nd guy, should be a supporting character with his story left more or less intact.

If you look at Final Fantasy 9, everyone has their own thing going on all the time. This is why that game's NPCs and supporting characters are believable (if a bit silly sometimes) If you expect someone to play your game for more than an hour, give them some stuff to sink their teeth into. A ton of ideas that show up here and there. Setting does NOT make a story (with rare exceptions, my own game, The Aftermath, is entirely dependent on its setting) so you can adapt just about anything to your original gameworld.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a ghost story, a murder mystery, a romantic comedy, a 2 bit(?:4color), a traditional rpg, and a frogger clone.

Somehow I don't think I can put those together. At all. But thanks for the suggestion. I may try that with future ideas.

NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A romantic ghost comedy And I think...nah it's not a murder mystery cause she killed herself...then again we don't know her name so...

Have a mini game for Frogger will be easy, and you could do it all in fabulous 4 bit! Traditional RPG elements are easy to add in...if you're creative (in 1 game I worked on years back (that died with my old computer) all the battles where done in a dream world)

See theres all your ideas wrapped into 1!

EDIT: Okay so My lovely ghost Kana is a bit on the....etchi side but still...
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:

I got a ghost story, a murder mystery, a romantic comedy, a 2 bit(?:4color), a traditional rpg, and a frogger clone.

Somehow I don't think I can put those together. At all. But thanks for the suggestion. I may try that with future ideas.

Traditional RPGs take you a lot of places. Getting involved in putting a spirit to rest and solving a murder mystery is not a stretch at all. A 2-bit game is not an idea, its a stylistic choice, and certainly something you can toy with on the side.

Frogger minigame, as mentioned above, but with the upside of relatively tangible rewards in your main game.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not myself much of a fan of minigames, I suggest just making short, possibly experimental games out of appropriate ideas. You can test how and whether your ideas work out, help prevent you from drowning in them, and if you want, give you some experience with polishing your creations - something which people who never finish anything often suck at.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Not myself much of a fan of minigames, I suggest just making short, possibly experimental games out of appropriate ideas. You can test how and whether your ideas work out, help prevent you from drowning in them, and if you want, give you some experience with polishing your creations - something which people who never finish anything often suck at.

This is so true, i usually think the only minigames worth making must have sexual content but you know, you're right, ive tried making good (wholesome) games but never finished anything. hmmm, but il try a little mini game haha why not... for 2 days maybe? just to see what happens.

J_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Traditional RPGs take you a lot of places. Getting involved in putting a spirit to rest and solving a murder mystery is not a stretch at all. A 2-bit game is not an idea, its a stylistic choice, and certainly something you can toy with on the side.

Frogger minigame, as mentioned above, but with the upside of relatively tangible rewards in your main game.

Actually, the ghost story thing is a la Ghostbusters, the murder mystery is put in the 1800s, and the 2-bit story has its own storyline (a sorcerer takes all the color out of the world and the main character has to find the color and fix it)

But as to the Frogger idea... Quite a nice possibility. I just may use that in my 2-bit.

ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:
Actually, the ghost story thing is a la Ghostbusters, the murder mystery is put in the 1800s, and the 2-bit story has its own storyline (a sorcerer takes all the color out of the world and the main character has to find the color and fix it)

But as to the Frogger idea... Quite a nice possibility. I just may use that in my 2-bit.

This is why you take the meat of an idea, and adapt it. If you can pick 1 favorite one to use as your main story, you work the important parts of the others into plot points. Is it important that it's high technology that catches ghosts and not some whimsical contraption in the 1800s? Probably not. Especially since the technology doesn't exist either here or there (or the ghosts, arguably... hahaha)

Now, I guess I am speaking more from the traditional RPG standpoint of having a long game. But a lot of different settings and ideas are needed for a long game to be worth playing. And if you can focus your creative energy into that, you can make it. I suppose my advice is not so well suited if you would prefer several shorter games. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't spread yourself too thin. Don't let yourself open the OHR for more than one game. (But feel free to design others) Or, time permitting, one main game and one smaller, easier one, for a break. (But be careful, because this is when I started making Tetris, and it wound up just delaying my start on The Aftermath, haha.)
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the tips. Although, I can't pick a fav cuz I don't have one. Part of the reason I haven't completed a game yet. And partly because I'm just that lazy. Razz

Although, I am in the middle of learning how to make and designing a side-scroller, and that's got me pretty hyped, so hey. Maybe I will complete a game soon. Or maybe just a demo...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: