Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Let's debate God's existence!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does God exist?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: this is the 150th post in this thread isnt that just Reply with quote

binoal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i saw this post and decided to share my opinion! lol. so i havent read the whole thread, simply because i didnt have the time. but this is what i believe. Almost every culture has believed in some sort of god, or gods. But why? how could they all get the same basic idea? Human instinct is to never be alone. Back before civilization, life was short without anybody protecting you. Sorry to mention evolution in a gods existence thread, but humans developed the instinct of traveling together. If there was a god, and he somehow bestowed the knowledge of himself on people, how could there have been monotheistic AND polytheistic religions? Why would he only tell or show people that there is a higher power, but then leave them to figure out the rest themselves? It is much easier for me to believe that the thought of ancient people, hating the thought of being alone (as a species), tried to find something more. Also, humans are cocky. We are the only species sophisticated enough to wonder about our origins. And we couldnt accept it if we occured by random chance. We always believe we are meant for something bigger, more significant. The existence of a god, who made us, and us alone, gives our species much more meaning than us forming out of amino acids in water combining to make single celled organisms. I dont hate religion by any means. In fact, the world would be a terrible place without it, full of crime, murder, and hopelessness. i merely dont believe in any sort of god. I believe in existential nihilism, the belief that we formed out of chance in the universe, and are just as insignificant as the rocks we walk on. A bit depressing, but i find it more comforting. Best quote by Dr. House ever: "I just find it more comforting to believe that this isn't just a test"

Yes. I just quoted House. lmao.

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=963

Legend Of Zelda: Reptilian Warlord Demo

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=961
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: I have a stupid opinion too, I wanna join Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:

Quote:
If there was a god, and he somehow bestowed the knowledge of himself on people, how could there have been monotheistic AND polytheistic religions?

Most polytheistic religions started as the monotheistic religions of individual tribes and cities. When these started grouping together to form larger nations, they started declaring that there was more than one god, with the god of the strongest population being declared the king of the gods.
Allah used to be one of these, until Muhammed realized just how dumb that would be(assuming that gods as flawed as humans), and declared there to be only one.

Most of these religions, as stated, declared their gods to be separate and distinct from the Creator, much the same as Christians do not believe that angels are the same as God (Lewis and Tolkien both wrote stories postulating that the pagan gods might actually distorted stories about angels).

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I havn't posted in this topic for a while, so Imma say some random stuff about what I belive.

1. There is only one way to Heaven
This dicredits those so-called religions that say there are many ways to Heaven
2. Christianity (specificaly Baptist, which was the first form of Christianity, before even the Catholics) is that one way
This discredits all religions
3. The FSM is the most amazingly funny religious concept ever
4. Jesus was fun to be around
Why would a boring person who's not in your family be invited to your wedding?
5. abortion is murder
Let's not get into that here, though.

Now for my religious philosophy. This get's pretty sci-fi, so if you are offended by multiple possible realities, too bad.

1. God knows every possible reality for every person, and knows the most probable course; this leave the possibility of free choice open
2. God can make us love Him, but if love is forced, is it still love? If God made everyone Love him, what would humans be? We would be robotic love machines, which sounds like a really great band name.
3. If what you feel is right is considered right in the Bible, it's right.
binoal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
If there was a god, and he somehow bestowed the knowledge of himself on people, how could there have been monotheistic AND polytheistic religions?

Most polytheistic religions started as the monotheistic religions of individual tribes and cities. When these started grouping together to form larger nations, they started declaring that there was more than one god, with the god of the strongest population being declared the king of the gods.
Allah used to be one of these, until Muhammed realized just how dumb that would be(assuming that gods as flawed as humans), and declared there to be only one.

Most of these religions, as stated, declared their gods to be separate and distinct from the Creator, much the same as Christians do not believe that angels are the same as God (Lewis and Tolkien both wrote stories postulating that the pagan gods might actually distorted stories about angels).

That may be true in some countries, but most religions were polytheistic because they believed that certain gods did certain things, such as the god of the sun, god of the sea, etc. And also, very different ideas came from different parts of the world. If we knew of gods existence because of divine intervention, which is the only conceivable way seeing as we cannot observe heaven, then most places would have at least similar ideas of god

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=963

Legend Of Zelda: Reptilian Warlord Demo

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=961
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get my Church denominations straight:
What makes a Baptist a Baptist?
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not a clue. I'm Roman Catholic, so...
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
I've been trying to get my Church denominations straight:
What makes a Baptist a Baptist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptist
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, my parents took me and my sister to a variety of different denominations of church, including Assemblies of God, Babtist, Calvery Chapel, and Non-Denominational (which is actually apparently a denomination) in addition to occasionally attending Lutheren, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Catholic, and a few others with friends and family.

My parents never bothered to explain to me the differences between denominations, and if I asked, they said it didn't matter, and if a preacher said something disparaging about another denomination, they said to ignore it.

One time at the Calvery chapel, the preacher did a series of sermons about how other types of christianity were wrong, covering Catholocism, Mormonism, and Jehovah's Witness. This made my Mom furious. I seem to remember staying home a couple sundays after that.
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your parents sound awesome!
I was often weirded out that most religions of the world claimed to have unique access to the truth, while accusing others as being false. When I realized that none of the religions actually taught this, and that it was people who were making these claims, everything made a lot more sense.
Lord Fyroa
Behold...the mighty Triforce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thread seems dead but maybe I can breath some life into it.
I'm a Christian. Through and through.

Quote:
James:When I was a kid, my parents took me and my sister to a variety of different denominations of church, including Assemblies of God, Babtist, Calvery Chapel, and Non-Denominational (which is actually apparently a denomination) in addition to occasionally attending Lutheren, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Catholic, and a few others with friends and family.

My parents never bothered to explain to me the differences between denominations, and if I asked, they said it didn't matter, and if a preacher said something disparaging about another denomination, they said to ignore it.

One time at the Calvery chapel, the preacher did a series of sermons about how other types of christianity were wrong, covering Catholocism, Mormonism, and Jehovah's Witness. This made my Mom furious. I seem to remember staying home a couple sundays after that.

Well me and my parents are Babtists and I firmly believe that there is not just a god but The God. My proof is that there are people and animals, not to mention plants. Just that alone should be enough, if not then think about how much diversity is truly on this planet! It's unfathomable that we're all just random chance. How is it possible that this all just happened? Something had to create it! That someone is God. Then you get in to the question what is God? After that it's if God created us what created God? God is the creator of all that is was and will be. Nothing created God, he is, was and will be forever.
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking this purely on a scientific tangent: I watched a science show that actually plotted out the chance that this universe created itself through the big bang the way it is.

The results were staggering; it was something like 4 billion plus to one. That's like the chance that you'd be the only person in the entire world to have been born with the superpower to blow things up.

Not likely.

I totally believe that there's no way the universe formed itself. I believe it was God, but I'm not going to argue with others who say it was aliens or some other type of being, just because I have no proof there. I'm pretty proof positive, though, that SOMEONE/THING sculpted the universe into what it is now.

Lawl.
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Fyroa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:
Taking this purely on a scientific tangent: I watched a science show that actually plotted out the chance that this universe created itself through the big bang the way it is.

The results were staggering; it was something like 4 billion plus to one. That's like the chance that you'd be the only person in the entire world to have been born with the superpower to blow things up.

Not likely.

I totally believe that there's no way the universe formed itself. I believe it was God, but I'm not going to argue with others who say it was aliens or some other type of being, just because I have no proof there. I'm pretty proof positive, though, that SOMEONE/THING sculpted the universe into what it is now.

I totally agree. I also want to point out:

Quote:
Genesis Chapter 1 verses 1-3.
"In the beginning God created the heavans and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

Now...Let's break it down
Quote:
In the beginning God created the heavans and the earth.
That backs what J Taylor said
Quote:
I totally believe that there's no way the universe formed itself. I believe it was God,
God is the ultimate being. He created me, you everything that their is! I don't understand how someone can live their life and not even acknowlage the true God! It truly baffles me. But then again he gave us free will. If not we would all be just a bunch of "robots" so to speak.

Quote:
"Let there be light,"

That one's simple. Whats the Big Bang? Ultimatly a huge explosion of matter and everything that is, right? What do explosions create? Bright flashes of light. Thus the Big Bang is true. It was caused by God.
Camdog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Fyroa wrote:
Well me and my parents are Babtists and I firmly believe that there is not just a god but The God. My proof is that there are people and animals, not to mention plants.

This is, at best, evidence for a god, not "The God".

J_Taylor wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? How can we determine statistics for something we don't even fully understand?
Lord Fyroa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
Lord Fyroa wrote:
Well me and my parents are Babtists and I firmly believe that there is not just a god but The God. My proof is that there are people and animals, not to mention plants.

This is, at best, evidence for a god, not "The God".

Well, yes there is a god. But the god I'm reffering to, Is the God of Abraham. The God that Christians, Jews, and Muslims worship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: