Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Let's debate God's existence!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does God exist?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's the part where I think someone got carried away. It's possible and known that the Jews wandered the desert for a long time, however I don't think they got magical food raining on them. I think they found oasis that they could grow crops out of. Water from rock could have just meant that Moses was good at finding springs.

Much like my interpretation of the plagues is that some of them could have happened -since- Moses was a farmer, so he would know exactly when the spring rains would come and make frogs de-hibernate. A king wouldn't have or need that knowledge, so he would be amazed if Moses was able to predict it. The others are embellishments or made up.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is any of that more far-fetched than resurrection? I mean, they're all miracles. How is one more plausible than another?

If you don't believe the story as written, that's one thing, but substituting your own interpretation of the facts makes very little sense. I'm interested to learn your criteria for deciding what parts of a millenia-old document are true and how you came up with your substituted versions of events. I'm even more interested in hearing what you think the value is of removing God from the Bible. It's much easier simply to disregard it as untrue.

Also, Moses wasn't a farmer. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Technically, he spent "forty years" helping Jethro shepherd. This doesn't make him an expert on frogs.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to remember that I don't believe g*d exists in the first place.

But hell, if the Mormons and JWs can selectively add and remove parts to it, and the Catholics add and remove parts to it, and even different translations change entire meanings of passages, my interpretations are a drop in a sea of disagreement.

My complete guess is that a couple of the plagues were good luck and guessing, and a bunch of others (like water into blood) are exaggerations of something that happened or completely made up. Or they happened over time and the Pharoah was using Moses as a scapegoat to get him out of the area (the plausible realistic ones anyway)

Last edited by FyreWulff on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why bother believing those stories at all? I still have to ask what the point is of trying to remove God from the Bible. Like I said, it's much easier to regard it as fiction. Your interpretations are no more likely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is that we know certain parts of the Bible are NOT just made up, and that real things did happen. We know historically that some cat named Jesus went around and got a handful of Jews riled up. We also have good reason to believe that something akin to the Exodus took place.

All I'm saying is that taking the Bible as a mixture of fables/parables in addition to some distortions of real events is not particularly unreasonable, and regarding something as fiction is not always easier than regarding it as a distortion.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
We know historically that some cat named Jesus went around and got a handful of Jews riled up.

I know people who don't believe Jesus really existed.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that taking the Bible as a mixture of fables/parables in addition to some distortions of real events is not particularly unreasonable, and regarding something as fiction is not always easier than regarding it as a distortion.

But certainly it's more trouble than it's worth to go out of your way to come up with explanations for it. All mythology probably has some basis in reality. That doesn't make it worth your time to try to invent a story that makes sense of the Quetzalcoatl legend.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not removing g*d from the bible. In this case I view him as more of a metaphor of the human spirit.

All I'm saying is that the Bible is a human creation, and even if I believed in g*d I would still not say he wrote it. It's pretty much the longest fanfic out there, but it has messages and real events scattered within it to string it all together.

Also I like to think of Jesus as hippie-prime

But I may be biased since I identified as a jew before this, and the torah and so one was passed down orally through the ages before it could be reproduced quickly and cheaply. There are no doubts there that it's a man-made account of events that happened.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in God. I believe in the Bible, but don't take it literally. I believe in evolution and that the earth is really old. I think a majority of the old testament shouldn't be taken literally, somewhat similar to what Fyre has said though I disagree on a few key points. However, it is certainly possible and probably true that stuff was lost in translation along the way.
I'm a very zealous church-goer but try to keep an open mind. I'm a firm believer that people need to do their best to understand what they believe, and in doing so that will help them understand other's interpretations of the same religious texts (specifically the Bible, among others).
I also think debating God on the internet is stupid and usually just results in people getting riled up when in the end nothing is accomplished anyway. So the point of this thread is kinda retarded.
But then I commented on it so what does that make me.
Oops.
Smokin'
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
AJHunter: You're a moron.

Did I not say to be respectfull? And those are scientific facts. And I can prove that you believe in God: you're an atheist, yet you acnowledge the existence of God as a concept that has a real influence on the world today. If you believe there is an influential concept of God, you believe that concept exists. But that is irrelevent. I wanna see you prove God doesn't exist. Try that!
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_dude257 wrote:
lol, this looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen.

yes, it is[/quote]
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Spoon Weaver wrote:
It's commonly known that the Egyptians used to refer to their leaders as gods. How far fetched is it to assume that a nearby leader would do the same?

That's a huge stretch, given actual Jewish history, and it's completely unfounded by the Bible. Moreover, the time period you're talking about is around 1000 BC.

Quote:
And the Romans conquered the Israel area around 1BC-1AD.

Try 63 BC. For nearly a century, they had no independent kings -- it was illegal under Roman law. Then (according to the Bible), around 32 AD, Jesus was arrested on false charges of sedition and executed despite being acquitted.

Your previous post suggests that all of your personal fiction can be found in the Bible. If you choose not to believe the Bible, that's certainly your prerogative, but don't act pretentious because you claim to have read it, and don't lie about what it actually does say.

The OP may be completely misguided too, but at least he's misguided based on something he actually read and not something he invented out of whole cloth.

well said.
Quote:
Read the bible sometime, it's almost as good as harry potter.

I just noticed this! Pissed off! I have read the Bible, and it's better than HP! Also (and this really bugs me), try capitalizing the names of books! Jeez, bad grammar bugs me! Pissed off! Pissed off!
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
For example, Moses couldn't have been in the desert for 40 years.

actually, he died before the fourty years were up. the thing was, God had told him to strike a rock with his staff, and water would flow out. he did this and water came out for the Israelites to drink. Later on, God told him to talk to a different rock to get water for the Israelites, and Moses thought he would look like a fool, talking to a rock, so instead he did what he did last time: he hit the rock. Water came out, but God was a little miffed about the disobedience. When the israelites were outside of a young Jerhico, Moses sent in spies to see what the people were like. All spies but one said the people were huge, and got everyone scared. but Moses knew God would give thier enemies over to them, and he could have said that they were going in, anyway. But no, he decided not to advance on the city, and God made all of them wander in the desert and said that none of them would see the promised land except for the one spy that wasn't terrified of the people. Not even Moses would get to see it. so, eventually Moses died, and a few years later, the next generation went in under that one spy's command and brought down the city's walls in seven days.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff wrote:
Much like my interpretation of the plagues is that some of them could have happened -since- Moses was a farmer, so he would know exactly when the spring rains would come and make frogs de-hibernate. A king wouldn't have or need that knowledge, so he would be amazed if Moses was able to predict it. The others are embellishments or made up.

Ah, but what of water turning to blood? and the evidence of volcanic activity arround soddom and gommhora, which I think is in an area with no volcanoes, but I'm not shure. archeologists have ound most of the cities in the bible.

I just thought of something! Y'know that story about Saul of Tarsus, who persecuted Christians untill he was blinded by Jesus on the way to Damascus? What if he had some strain of psoriasis, and it flared up on his eyelids from the stress of seeing Jesus in such a dramatic way? What?!?! that would explain "something like scales falling from his eyes! mabe he got some sort of corrosive oil, like pistachio oil on his eyelids, and the psoriasis blistered off with devine timing? All I know is that he was changed on that road. Big grin
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These conversations never get anywhere.. haha.

But just so long as no one's trying to change anyone's mind, I suppose I'm alright with it and I'll participate.

I, myself, am not religious. I find it hard to believe that there is some omnipotent, omniscient being out there, and so much harder to believe that if there is one, he gives 2 sh*ts about any of us.

That being said, finding religion has helped a lot of people i know through hard times, (normal religions, I don't know any cultists) some of whom who were on their way to... leave... for lack of a better term. I think the judeo-christian concept of god originated from the need of people with problems to believe that there is some force out there that can help them, but most of all, cares.

Granted, people have used religion as a basis for some terrible, terrible things. But that is the fault of people, not the construct of the beliefs.

So, yeah, I'm an atheist. But i'm never gonna tell anyone their belief is wrong. If it's all real, then cool.

If it's not, and this is addressed to all you religious-types: If you died and there was nothing, or something totally different than heaven/hell/whatever... would you be disappointed looking back on all the 'worthless' things you did? I mean, you'd be disappointed that it wasn't real, to be sure. But thinking of what religion has done for you or the ways its made you feel, the stuff its gotten you through, etc, etc.

I guess what I mean is, I think religion is worthwhile whether its real or not. As an atheist I think all you get from life is.. it. Haha. And if religion makes life better, I don't see why it matters if its real or not.
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of people who believe the Holocaust did not occur. These people, like people who do not believe that Jesus even existed, are much more unreasonable than people who try to make sense of ancient myths.

The case of the Bible is acute because there are certain historical truths involved with a significant portion of the text, which most of the people in discussion here are familiar with. For this reason, an intelligent person cannot discount the entire book as fiction at once. Picking out which events are real and fake is a difficult task. It may be easier (more worthwhile) to notice that the VAST MAJORITY of the book isessentially a historical distortion of basically real events.

All of this pre-supposes that the person in question would prefer to fall back on faith as little as possible. Naturally if we allow faith to be a factor, picking out which events are real and fake becomes incredibly easy.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: