Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Which version of the OHRRPGCE do you use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which version of the OHRRPGCE do you use?
I always use the stable xocolatl+2 version
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
I always use the nightly wip builds, and I desperately want a new stable build
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
I always use the nightly wip builds, and I don't care about stable builds because I will keep using nightly builds anyway
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
I always use a specific nightly wip build, but NOT the latest one (explain which one and why)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I use a mixture of both the stable xocolatl+2 version and the nightly wip builds (explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I use some older version (Which one and why?)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
My situation does not fit into any of the above categories (explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Which version of the OHRRPGCE do you use? Reply with quote

I am curious to gather some information about who uses nightly builds, and who still uses the stable build.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use whatever is the latest nightly build out, unless there is some reason mentioned as to why it would be deathly bad to do otherwise. :p

NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to use the stable release, I prefer to wait for the WIP features to be stable and complete before I use them, even if it means waiting longer to get them.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a nightly, but not the latest one, because I'd rather stick with the one I started with when making a game, and, mostly, unless there's a specific bug correction or new feature I don't really feel the urge to download it every night.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memories of "the good old days" when it was just James and we waited a year between releases with bated breath.

We bated a lot of breath back in the good old days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently update to the latest nightly.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only update when the nightly has a feature I need to use or when I've switched computers (switching back requires an update, too, since now my original copy is out of sync).
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the nightlies because the latest features have become more and more exciting lately. Slices, for instance!
The improved text box editing has been awesome too.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday (or the day before), someoone in IRC said they were using Xocolatl+, because +2 was too big of a download because of Vikings. I pointed them to the minimalistic floppy version. Which doesn't include the plotscripting dictionary! Outrage!

Which reminds me, I'm sure whether I mentioned it, but Fyre pointed out that we shipped the wrong copy of the dictionary with X+2 (or was it X+1? X?): it includes a whole lot of sprite commands that don't exist. Funny that noone mentioned it earlier.

It's probably become impossible to fit everything on a floppy now - we've written over 300kb of code since xocolatl - we should just create a minimalistic version which actually includes everything minus Vikings, and maybe the sound effects.

Stable releases don't necessarily contain complete features. For example, slices are definitely still going to be highly incomplete when Ypsiliform is released.
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come "always use stable" doesn't include "desperately want a new stable"?!??!? Or is it just assumed?

I chose "always use stable" because that is the case for custom, although I use nightlies of game. I haven't counted using the nightly to write the help files for custom, naturally.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's assumed.
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't encountered anything outrageously buggy with the nightlies.

With the nightlies, I get to fool around with new features in various stages of completion - and they're reasonably well behaved so far.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's a challenge-seeker out there who's deliberately using the 4-Map version.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Which reminds me, I'm sure whether I mentioned it, but Fyre pointed out that we shipped the wrong copy of the dictionary with X+2 (or was it X+1? X?): it includes a whole lot of sprite commands that don't exist. Funny that noone mentioned it earlier.

I remember. I think I decided at the time that it wasn't worth a xocolatl+3 unless people started complaining... although I do indeed need to double-check and make sure my scripts are corrected so it won't happen again... (EDIT: I checked and now I can't remember how this was happening... I think I may have had a script that downloaded the plotdict.xml file from the website using wget... but I can't find any script that does anything like that now.)

The Mad Cacti wrote:
It's probably become impossible to fit everything on a floppy now - we've written over 300kb of code since xocolatl - we should just create a minimalistic version which actually includes everything minus Vikings, and maybe the sound effects.

You are correct. I just tested the distrib.bat script, and the ohrrpgce-floppy.zip file currently weighs in at 1,494,558 bytes, just a little too big for a floppy.

I'm inclined to rename it ohrrpgce-minimal.zip and not worry about it any further. :)
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to limit myself to stable releases, but sometimes I need a feature that only the nightlies provide, so I'm forced to upgrade. I also work out of three folders: one that keeps fairly current with nightlies (to play with new features and to play new games), and two interchangeables that remain stable as long as possible (which I try to build my games from).

This round would be the one exception to this rule since it's been so long since Xocolatl was released and Ypsiliform nightlies have been pretty stable and very design-friendly that I went ahead and upgraded all three folders to whichever nightly I last downloaded.

I download new nightlies every few weeks or whenever a helpful feature is implemented. And I tend to get antsy for new stable releases after four to six months of waiting.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum