Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New OHRRPGCE palette in the works.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: New OHRRPGCE palette in the works. Reply with quote

In a quest to come up with an OHRRPGCE palette that not only looks great, and solves various problems has led me to create this.

Granted, it's not finished, and needs more feedback, but here are what it's good for:

- Gets rid of unnecessary near-white bright colors.
- Vibrant and colorful without retina burning saturation levels
- Many hues to choose from
- Smooth color ramps allow for great control over contrast, excellent for both maptiles and sprites
- Attention to ensure skin tones are useful
- Non-ugly yellow colors

It is not without cons, of course:

- Small gap in value between black and darkest shades of color (though this shouldn't be too big of an issue)
- Green ramps similar in color (trying to think of a way to solve this issue to give distinguishable hue from other colors)

I will continue to work on this palette to fully optimize it, but feedback would be welcome.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nifty!

When I have finalized it, would you be willing to offer it as an alternate palette to be included in the Import folder?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

One problem I see offhand is a common one I've had with the other default palettes: no red-yellow scale. The original default had a small one, but the new one requires you to hunt for them. You've got some decent oranges here, but no real high-saturation orange. Since fireballs and fire spells and such are common in the RPG milieu, a red-yellow scale is useful to have. My suggestion is to replace either half of one of your many green scales or your powder-blue-to-white scale.

I'm curious why there's exactly one blindingly bright yellow, and I still think there are too many whites/whitelikes (I count four, although only two are really white), but this looks like a really nice palette overall.
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the 1 bright yellow is just there for fire graphics, but i'd have to agree on you with the lack of fire colors. Also, why is everything so desaturated? It's not nessisarly bad, but not nessisarly good eather.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me, I would love to see a master palette that focuses on scales of 8 colors instead of scales of 16 colors. I notice that when I draw sprites for Wandering Hamster I often find myself skipping colors when making my 16-color palettes.
Lucier
that one girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this palette a lot!

with genesis' palette i kind of just changed it as i went until i found all the colors i will need for the game. i kept the mini color schemes (the ones going vertically) and just made those into colors i thought would be found in real life in nature. mine is really scattered though, i like how nice and neat your palette is.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to write a tool that could go through all your backdrops, tilesets, and 16-color palettes and count how often each color is used.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm curious why there's exactly one blindingly bright yellow
Because I can't think of any other shade of that yellow that couldn't easily be replaced by green or brown, which darker yellow is basically a greenish brown. The yellow will become part of the aforementioned red -> yellow scale instead.

Quote:
red-yellow scale.
Will add.

Quote:
Also, why is everything so desaturated? It's not nessisarly bad, but not nessisarly good eather.
I tried to keep the saturation pretty neutral for the most part. If you need more saturation, you can run the palette through an image editing program (Graphics Gale or Paint Shop Pro for example) and increase the saturation or decrease it depending on the game.

Mostly it comes from consistency with how I treated red though.

Also, what would you guys think of cutting the pink ramp in half and using half of it for bright reds as seen in Lucier's palette?

Quote:
I notice that when I draw sprites for Wandering Hamster I often find myself skipping colors when making my 16-color palettes.
This palette was made with skipping colors for sprites in mind, and embraces doing so, while for maptiles sometimes you want colors to be close together.

Quote:
and I still think there are too many whites/whitelikes (I count four, although only two are really white)
Most "near whites" are skin tones, taking possibility of pale skin into account, one is for skies, and the other is, of course, white in the grey scale. Maybe the one in the grey scale is unnecessary, I dunno.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes:

- Added the Red -> Yellow color ramp. Thanks to optical illusion, this appears to be a pure orange ramp in the OHRRPGCE editor.
- Changed the previous orange colors to be more desaturated because now the Red -> Yellow ramp gives us the orange colors we need.
- Decided to push the brightest red back and add a couple of brighter, pinkish reds.
- Made the greens more distinct from each other.

EDIT:

Altered some greens to be more useful for grass tiles.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kept all those pinks? No one is ever going to need so many pinks.

I slightly miss those greens you changed: I think they would have been useful for water. Maybe even a blue-green ramp?

James Paige wrote:
It would be interesting to write a tool that could go through all your backdrops, tilesets, and 16-color palettes and count how often each color is used.

Oh James, how subtle your hints are:

Using Neo's just-released NOHRIO, hopefully heralding a new generation of OHR utilities, I've done just that.

[EDIT: Moved my reply to http://www.castleparadox.com/ohr/viewtopic.php?t=6313; sorry about that NP.]

Last edited by TMC on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that is awfully cool! I was just trying it out on my 8-bit game. Looks like I accidentally used several colors from the second palette row. it is a good thing I used a master palette with only 16 colors :)

I did notice a bug. If you switch modes while displaying meters instead of counts, it crashes:

Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "colouruse.py", line 303, in <module>
    update(dataset = 2)
  File "colouruse.py", line 270, in update
    width = int(colourbars[index] * (xs[x+1]-xs[x]))
ValueError: cannot convert float NaN to integer
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed a bunch of unnecessary colors.

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's Powerstick Man: Extended Edition, Week 100

(picture of colors)

Um...

Wow, I had no idea.

And that top row scares me now because I'm attempting to phase it out to make room for a new line of colors.

Just...wow.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC: This is very cool -- and I really appreciate the effort you are going to, it's hugely helpful to me.

You might find the numbers could be more meaningful if you made them logarithmic
('from math import log; scaled_value = log (value, base)'). base = 2 is probably appropriate here. (this might even improve the meaningfulness of the bar representation)

(circular/elliptical representations of magnitude are also pretty effective IMO)

Pepsi-Ranger: Altering TMC's program to remap colors is not too difficult; We could sort of combine the two functions, and do the remapping and then mention which graphics were effected (to help with any adjustments). This kind of thing does warrant a utility of its own, cause it could be made quite powerful really ( autochoose all the remappings, allow you to adjust remappings for individual graphics/colors, possibly even do dithering when the 'nearest match' colors aren't very near). Well.. I don't have time to write such a utility right now.. I'll look at it again when NOHRIO is more mature Happy

(TMC and I are currently discussing how to improve NOHRIO on the ohrrpgce mailing list Happy

Newbie_power: fantastic (in a literal sense) palette Happy
I have to recommend to new palette makers: use 12 color ramps! I only used 15-color in the 'new default' because it looks a lot neater when displayed.. I spent a lot of time carefully optimizing my palette, so it did not suffer too badly from this (getting a fair spread of most kinds of colors, with fair 'crossover-ability' of color ramps). However I do not recommend that.. ramps of 12 are IMO a better workflow unit and can more easily result in a better palette.
(especially if you like 'purity of color' rather than a oil-painting-like effect (the latter being what I regard as the most effective usage of a limited set of 256 colors -- although my palette did attempt to accommodate such preferences to some extent)
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current take so far. Seems to be working well now. I'll describe the ramps from top to bottom:

1. Metallic grey ramp. Useful for buffering or metallic/gray surfaces.
2. Aged ramp. Originally intended to be another gray ramp but with a different hue for different purposes, but it looks fine on its own.
3. Ugly brown ramp. Good for nature and possibly hair.
4. Red. Good for hair, shirts, blood, using dark reds in conjunction with the pink.
5: Orange/red. Self explanatory, main purpose is for light colors to be skin tone, though the darker colors can be useful as well.
6: Tan. Lighter colors can be used for skin tone.
7: User defined.
8: Brown -> Yellow ramp. Good for deserts.
9: Green -> Yellow ramp. Great for nature.
10: Green ramp. Also good for nature.
11: Red -> Yellow ramp. Gives orange colors, and great for fire effects.
12: Blue ramp.
13: Teal ramp.
14: Half this ramp is purple. The other half is purple mixed with pink.
15: Half is red mixed with pink (dark reds from earlier in the palette work as darker colors for this). Some very light colors just in case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: