Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hero Picker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffbattle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Hero Picker Reply with quote

How do I make it so people can pick a character at the start of the game. I have made my heroes with the walk about graphics hero stats hero graphics etc.

I was wondering if anyone can help me in a step by step small guide without using plot scripting but if it can't be done then how do I do it plot scripting please help!
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a difficult thing to do, and it can be approached in SEVERAL ways.

The way I suggest, is make a starting hero that's like, an arroow pointer or something. And then the sprites of the heroes as NPCs on a map called.. er.. 'character picker'. Make each NPC activation display a text box that explains the story and a 'want to use hero X?' choice box. If yes is selected, then all it does is set a tag on, adds that hero to the party and swaps out the pointer hero. Then, you could just make one of those text boxes teleport to the hero's starting map.

well, have fun and don't worry about credit.
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit of a necro, but what if I want both characters to be the pretty much the same?
In my case I want players to be able to choose between a male and female, but be otherwise identical. Do I need to make 2 versions of the starting map?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to use this method you could have three maps.

One where you pick between a male or female icon, and the other two where you pick character classes for the gender you chose previously.

However, this thread is really very old, and was written before customizable Menus were added. It might be easiest to do this with menus.
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets say I wanted to do a pokemon-style system in which players get a text box asking them if their a girl or boy. Whichever one they choose starts in the exact same spot. Mechanically, the two are identical; they have the same stats and the same abilities at every level. When players pick a character a tag is set.
Lets say, the tag is malehero. If on, use character 1; if off, use character 2 (I always leave the 0 entry in the menus blank for use as a placeholder). Now lets assume I want them to both start out in the exact same place. Do I still need to make a seperate map for both characters, one for the male and one for the female, and have the starting map determined based on the heromale tag? Or is there a way to just choose which hero gets called to the map?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a duplicate map in that scenario.

Suppose you make the female hero number 0 and the male hero number 1

If the player chooses female, you don't have to do anything special.

If the player chooses male, and turns on the malehero tag then use text box conditionals to add the male hero to the party, and then to remove the female hero from the party. This will require two text boxes, since you can only make one hero change per text box (unless you use plotscripting)
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add a third hero, a spaceholder often named Temp or Tempy and add him to the party before removing hero 0. That way when I add in the hero of the player's choice he's in the lead and I remove Tempy.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: