Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Work in Progress: Blasted Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about making the items themselves represent the LP?
The reason I didn't suggest this instead was so that LP can be a stat that can be checked on the status screen.

That, and there is no way to target named heroes, only hero slots. It's ultimately better that LP is a stat so no party limitations are forced just to make this work.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can see items outside AND inside of battles so the display is rather an advantage than a disadvantage.

The second is only a disadvantage if the game provides manual party-swapping. If party-swapping is needed, you could still realize it via plotscripting instead of the normal way to do it. But even easier is to make it possible to target all dead heroes, but make the skill fail on wrong ones.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:

That, and there is no way to target named heroes, only hero slots.

I really need to make this a built-in feature. Attacks that can only target a specific hero or a specific enemy.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Newbie_Power wrote:

That, and there is no way to target named heroes, only hero slots.

I really need to make this a built-in feature. Attacks that can only target a specific hero or a specific enemy.
This really needs to be a conditional, where "if attack hits certain hero" so that we won't have to ask the player to use four different revive spells and things like that.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am confused. I had incorrectly assumed that a separate life spell for each hero was the desired end result?

Reading back into the discussion a bit further... I see that the goal is a Saga-style LP system.

Not terribly hard to implement with outside-of-battle plotscripting, but extremely difficult if you want to be able to revive dead heros in the middle of a battle.

See also 'Plan for more flexible stats'
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that stats changed in-battle aren't permanently changed outside of battle. If there was a bitset that allowed this for certain attacks, there wouldn't have to be so many hoops to jump through.

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but this is still a good idea:

James Paige wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the Active and Cleared Mission Handles,
Make the Mission Critical Text Boxes (Start and Clear Tag holders),
Make the Brief and Debrief Text Boxes,
Attach the text boxes and the tags: Brief:Tag Needed On:MissionStart=On,Tag Needed Off:MissionClear=Off
Debrief:Tag Needed On:MissionClear=On,

Make sure that for both the Brief and Debrief menu items are set to hide if disabled and close menu when selected.

I did this all only the quests don't lead to text boxes they just have captions that says like( Active menu: C wants some juice, Completed menu: You gave c a glass of juice). I think it's fixed when i did everything here plus setting both activation tags to the same tag requirement when only one is required. Thank you...

How about making the items themselves represent the LP?

Although it wouldn't show in the status screen, this way requires less tags and less scripting, plus it looks more convenient and seems more easily justifiable plot wise. Like a "miracle voucher". It is an item that prolongs a living entity's attachment to the material plane. When a hero gets slain in battle, he takes energy from the MV and thus continues being alive. Problem is the vouchers can only be recharged in some place so the player must take care of his heroes otherwise they'd have to travel to hell just to get them back. (As hell is a place in the game as well).(or maybe limbo, or heaven)(as one idea leads to another, it could be cool to have allignment isn't it? Choice one adds x evil points and choice two adds n light points.) Plus: it will also make the player get have a chance to test all the recruitables and treat them as none immortals....
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Okay, I am confused. I had incorrectly assumed that a separate life spell for each hero was the desired end result?

Reading back into the discussion a bit further... I see that the goal is a Saga-style LP system.

Not terribly hard to implement with outside-of-battle plotscripting, but extremely difficult if you want to be able to revive dead heros in the middle of a battle.

In the traditional SaGa-System unconscious (HP=0) heroes can still be attacked and lose 1 LP every time they get hit (HP stays at 0). If LP was above 0 they are never considered 'dead' and can be targetted by any healing items and skills. Only if LP is 0 heroes are really considered dead.

But this would probably require it to be a build-in feature.

Besides it looks like BlastedEarth likes the idea of items representing LP.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
James Paige wrote:

In the traditional SaGa-System unconscious (HP=0) heroes can still be attacked and lose 1 LP every time they get hit (HP stays at 0). If LP was above 0 they are never considered 'dead' and can be targetted by any healing items and skills. Only if LP is 0 heroes are really considered dead.

But this would probably require it to be a build-in feature.

Besides it looks like BlastedEarth likes the idea of items representing LP.

Only because it is the limit of what i can do, but if a saga style life system can be a built in feature i would definitely love that even more...

edit: what if the characters have damage thresholds? like when HP reaches 0 they are just KO'ed but when a really strong enemy deals really great damage, and a certain negative number is reached, the character is killed. So instead of LP's an "overkill" sign is shown and the character cannot be revived and is removed from party and is locked (or removed from the game if possible).
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could always just double their HP and make it so they can only attack if it is above 50%.

Edit: By the way, I disagree with imitating the SaGaFrontier system 1:1 even though I love it. Better create your own individual system that is just similar to it. Well I personally like the dodge system and the item system most.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: By the way, I disagree with imitating the SaGaFrontier system 1:1 even though I love it. Better create your own individual system that is just similar to it. Well I personally like the dodge system and the item system most.[/quote]

You may be right, I'll see if i can do the item system, thanks....

edit:
I'm making the world map. I'm just wondering why the mini map is just blue while when i go to "resizemap" i can see a zoomed out version of my map. Can i work with that in tile edit mode?

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~ in tilemapping mode will give you a better minimap.

that blue rectangle is just intended to give you a visual indicator of which part of the map you are looking at (although, yes, it would be great if it showed a real minimap there)

There is no way to edit while looking at the minimap.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!this will do, thanks a lot....

Edit:

Whoa! What could be wrong?
1. made a tag,uh, lets call it, "dude"
2. went to textboxes and made a choice:
fight! (dude = on), jump! (dude = off)
3. set the textbox 148 to always lead to the next
4. textbox 149(instead: if dude = on, goto next textbox)
5. textbox 149: text "geronimo!" (always automatically use door 0)
6. textbox 150: text:"la put...." (always fight enemy formation 9)
7. thats it....

problem: why does the bg in 149 still has a choice even though when this appears you'd have clicked it already? and: why does the bg in 150 has textbox with the number "4" on it?

I hope you aren't irritated with my questions....
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello blastedearth,

..first of all, those are pretty awesome screenshots! Big grin

second, in the first page of this thread,you posted a screenshot wherein there's a dude called "takatak" whom the player can buy items from.

by any chance, do you live in the Philippines?

it's been a while since i posted anything in CP, but seeing another potential fellow Filipino OHR developer here would be great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: