Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Stat Values questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Stat Values questions Reply with quote

Set-up:

In Vomage: Genesis, characters have only HP, MP, and Luck (Ctr) growths without equipment. The only way to get maximum Luck is to not equip a weapon for 100 levelups, as all weapons that he can equip have a luck modifier of -1. Likewise, no other stats can grow without equipping anything.

1) Is there a way to force the built-in growths to be linear other than the Old Levelup Bug? I don't want to have HP growth based on the clothing that's equipped, and luck would actually be negative until its growth overcame the built-up penalties (which is also bad, and I refuse to create items that boost Luck, since it will double as Magic Evasion)

2) About how fast is 17 speed for a character?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)

You will want a script to check for hero level-ups after battles using 'hero levelled (who)'.

However, this only checks to see if the hero leveled at all.
If you gain enough experience to level multiple times, you will want a script before battle that records the levels of all party members and then a script after the battle to compare the current levels with the previous ones.

In the after-battle script, you would then check to see if the hero(es) who leveled has any equipment on.
If the hero(es) do not, then you can just use a 'set hero stat' to change the maximum and current values of the luck stat.

2)

17's a bit quick for my tastes, but anything below 20 is playable enough.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stat Values questions Reply with quote

Raekuul wrote:
Set-up:

In Vomage: Genesis, characters have only HP, MP, and Luck (Ctr) growths without equipment. The only way to get maximum Luck is to not equip a weapon for 100 levelups, as all weapons that he can equip have a luck modifier of -1. Likewise, no other stats can grow without equipping anything.

1) Is there a way to force the built-in growths to be linear other than the Old Levelup Bug? I don't want to have HP growth based on the clothing that's equipped, and luck would actually be negative until its growth overcame the built-up penalties (which is also bad, and I refuse to create items that boost Luck, since it will double as Magic Evasion)

No there isn't. What do you want? It sounds like you want linear growth for certain stats, and Old Levelup Bug for others?

Quote:
You will want a script to check for hero level-ups after battles using 'hero levelled (who)'.

However, this only checks to see if the hero leveled at all.

No, hero levelled returns the NUMBER of levels gained.

Quote:
17's a bit quick for my tastes, but anything below 20 is playable enough.

Others would say that anything much below 20 is not playable.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed depends on a lot of factors. But there is one thing that is consistent, it is always obvious when a game speed is too slow or too fast, so discretion is useful here.

I believe 15-23 are around the best speed values.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stat Values questions Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Others would say that anything much below 20 is not playable.

It depends on how many people are in the party. If you've only got one hero, you're going to be waiting forever for anything below 20. If you've got a four-person party, you'll get turns faster than you can use them at that speed, meaning holding down space bar becomes an increasingly effective strategy.
When it's ready...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on if you have the "pause on all menus" bitset turned on.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but as seen in your Darkmoor Dungeon review, the mechanics of that can confuse some players. Raspberry!
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that reminds me of a feature Rya suggested: automatically scaling battle speeds/times depending on the number of heroes in the party. It could be a pretty effective solution. If anyone else wants to pick it up and argue for it...
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't that most of what I want to do can be done using only the Old Levelup Bug, I'd just script the whole mess. Also, I've managed to solve my CTR problem by making the default weapon have a luck value of 1 and all other weapons have a luck of 0.

HP and MP... well, I'll burn that bridge once I get there, but I may implement 'Hero Levelled' for it.

So, the speed stat is really the only problem left. 17 too low? Probably, but you pick up more characters as the game progresses.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
17 too low?
No. A full party this number will still see you inputting actions. At lower number of party members you can either write a script that uses Rya's speed scaling based on party member or design battles that aren't annoying for a single character to fight.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum