Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

making money making games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: making money making games Reply with quote

I've been thinking about how to do this for a while, as I'm sure lots of people here have. We have lots of great games here on this site, some being much better then games that are, as we speak, making people money. So I feel it's time to bridge the gap from hobby to business.
Here are my ideas of how to do this:

1) Flash games

2) cell phone apps/games

3) xbox live arcade

I'm currently seeking people to team up with to create one or more of these type of games. Work would not be scheduled, so you wouldn't have to think of it as a job. Pay would not happen unless the game in fact makes money. (This could potentially change, I might end up paying people just to work on a certain game if it becomes promising enough.)

Take your time thinking it over, I plan on continuing this option for as long as these things remain popular.

P.S. I noticed that there was work being done on both, flash game and cell phone game versions of the OHR. I'd be glad to provide any help I could give to these projects.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going nonprofit, but I felt like mentioning that WiiWare may be a possibility. I've noticed that Cave Story, though still freeware, is making an upgraded version (graphics and music wise) for WiiWare and XBox Live Arcade. Plus Nintendo is sorely lacking decent RPG titles right now.

Though, it would probably take a lot more networking than any other path.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiiWare development means shelling out hundreds of dollars (maybe more) for a dev kit, does it not? Also, doesn't Nintendo have a policy of requiring developers to show that they're a legit studio before they can develop for their platform?

Spoonweaver: What kind of game were you thinking of? Also, who's working on a flash version of the OHR? I know about the cell phone version in the works, but I haven't heard of any work being done in flash...
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
WiiWare development means shelling out hundreds of dollars (maybe more) for a dev kit, does it not? Also, doesn't Nintendo have a policy of requiring developers to show that they're a legit studio before they can develop for their platform?

Spoonweaver: What kind of game were you thinking of? Also, who's working on a flash version of the OHR? I know about the cell phone version in the works, but I haven't heard of any work being done in flash...

I haven't really decided on the kind of game, or even the platform to make it on. It's all still up in the air. But I do plan to do at least 1 project for each of those 3 options. ( Not wiiware because it's not really meant for indygames)

The OHR flash version was pretty vague. Basically it was a project a company was working on that would convert the program into flash format. I would link the thread but I've totally lost track of it since the condensing of the forum.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the current work regarding OHR porting

OHRRPGCE-FMF is the Java port. It is pretty far along, but hasn't gotten any recent updates. It is mainly intended for mobile phones that run Java, but it also runs in the browser.

TMC is working on fb2cpp which is a code translator that converts FreeBasic code into C++ code, which will allow it to be compiled on other operating systems besides Windows and Linux-x86. That includes Mac OS X, and maybe eventually iPhone.

In the don't get your hopes up to high just yet department, thewre is an experimental C++ to ActionScript converter that can theoretically convert c++ programs to flash, but since we already have one phase of language conversion to worry about, I think it is to early to think about that.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Adobe Alchemy?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
What about Adobe Alchemy?

Yes, that is the name of it!

I don't know how hard it will be to get it all working though, since even if fb2cpp works great, we still have to worry about dependencies like SDL, SDL_mixer, or Audiere which would have to also be ported to flash using Alchemy-- certainly not an easy task, I think.

Or alternatively we might have to make gfx_flash and music_flash backends specifically for an Alchemy port. I don't know whether that would be harder or easier.
Rinku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also no reason you can't just sell ohrrpgce games as shareware -- fat frog did it, and apparently made some sales. i am also selling the game maker (another engine) game immortal defense and it still gets sales every week after two years of release. so you don't necessarily have to look further than the ohrrpgce if you want to make money making games
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done anything on fb2cpp in two weeks, but I just got back from my last exam, so it's time for a coding sprint!

James Paige wrote:
Or alternatively we might have to make gfx_flash and music_flash backends specifically for an Alchemy port. I don't know whether that would be harder or easier.

gfx_fb and gfx_sdl are fairly thin wrappers; I wouldn't think creating gfx_flash would much trouble. Supporting all those different music and sound effect formats could probably be more problematic.

I'm mostly worried about dependence on the FB runtime library, and all the OS/file access stuff.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games on XBLIG (XBox Live Indie Games) would be cool (though that would require them to actually be finished). But they need to be written in C# for that.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've tempted me into looking at FB to C# translation. A large amount of the FB runtime library could be replaced with C# functions...

But you can't distribute games for free on the XBox, can you? And don't you have to actually pay to put games on it?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put games on XBLIG you have to set a price between 80 and 400 MS points (here 1€ equals 80 points). People can download a demo of your game for free but they can only play it for 8 minutes, then they need to decide whether they buy it or not. If a game gets sold you get 70% of the money and Microsoft gets 30%.

Also to actually being able to put the games on XBLIG a certain amount of people most have previewed them and said they are okay to be released (if the game doesn't have a critical bug and is playable it will usually be approved eventually). And then there is a conversion rate which is calculated by gamesbought/demosdownloaded. If that goes below 0.2% the game might get removed by Microsoft (but they didn't remove any yet).
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here $1 also equals 80 points, which makes no sense at all. Presumably they're trying to obfuscate the real cost of their stuff.
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't MS point costs the same for all countries? That also means the games are more expensive in Europe (which is not really a surprise). Which makes me wonder how they calculate the 30% / 70%. Do I get less money if an American buys my game?
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft Points equal different amounts of Real Money(tm) in each country. Pretty sure you get paid out in direct conversion of points->realbux instead of them converting from msbux->ameribux->yourbux.

Also you only get a check every quarter I think, so remember that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: