Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Overhaul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Overhaul Reply with quote

http://thehamsterwheel.net/

The Hamster Wheel has received a facelift and is now completely in PHP. Information from the old site is not up just yet, but will be soon. In the meantime, information from the previous version of the site is still accessible by going to http://thehamsterwheel.net/games.html , although will look a bit funky.

With that being said, there is still a lot of work to be done, information to be submitted, and features to be coded. Continue to bear with me and check back often for new features and updates.

I have contacted many of you regarding your games, though some of you I may have not reached.

With that being said, if you happen to run across a game on the list that you would not like me hosting and/or listing period, please let me know. I already have a "blacklist" of games just for that reason.

Any feedback or critique is much appreciated. I've only be coding PHP/mysql for a couple of weeks, and have never been good at graphic design. I must say, though, that I am proud of what the Hamster Wheel has become.

EDIT: There have been reports of the new site not showing up properly. Please clear your cache/internet files and try again, or just goto http://thehamsterwheel.net/index.php and it should bring you to the right place.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul Reply with quote

Meatballsub wrote:

The Hamster Wheel has received a facelift and is now completely in PHP. Information from the old site is not up just yet, but will be soon. In the meantime, information from the previous version of the site is still accessible by going to http://thehamsterwheel.net/games.html , although will look a bit funky.

With that being said, there is still a lot of work to be done, information to be submitted, and features to be coded. Continue to bear with me and check back often for new features and updates.

I have contacted many of you regarding your games, though some of you I may have not reached.

With that being said, if you happen to run across a game on the list that you would not like me hosting and/or listing period, please let me know. I already have a "blacklist" of games just for that reason.

Any feedback or critique is much appreciated. I've only be coding PHP/mysql for a couple of weeks, and have never been good at graphic design. I must say, though, that I am proud of what the Hamster Wheel has become.

EDIT: There have been reports of the new site not showing up properly. Please clear your cache/internet files and try again, or just goto http://thehamsterwheel.net/index.php and it should bring you to the right place.

Congratulations!

I like the rounded corners, although the gridline background doesn't do it for me. I think a solid color would work better. I would also suggest you implement more pages similar to the Review Submission form, so users can directly submit other pertinent information to you, such as upcoming contest information, game updates, articles, etc.

I noticed the Game List search requires exact match for Author but allows substrings for game names. For instance, Battle will return all games which have Battle in their title, but an author search for Pepsi will not return all games by Pepsi Ranger.

Congratulations again on the shift to dynamic content generation Happy. It's a great start and definitely gives the site a longer life. I couldn't imagine you keeping up with all the changes via static pages.

Good luck with your PHP and MySQL development. I'd be more than happy to help if you run into any roadblocks or have any PHP/MySQL questions during implementation.

~IM
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhaul Reply with quote

Inferior Minion wrote:
Meatballsub wrote:

Congratulations!

I like the rounded corners, although the gridline background doesn't do it for me. I think a solid color would work better. I would also suggest you implement more pages similar to the Review Submission form, so users can directly submit other pertinent information to you, such as upcoming contest information, game updates, articles, etc.

I noticed the Game List search requires exact match for Author but allows substrings for game names. For instance, Battle will return all games which have Battle in their title, but an author search for Pepsi will not return all games by Pepsi Ranger.

Congratulations again on the shift to dynamic content generation Happy. It's a great start and definitely gives the site a longer life. I couldn't imagine you keeping up with all the changes via static pages.

Good luck with your PHP and MySQL development. I'd be more than happy to help if you run into any roadblocks or have any PHP/MySQL questions during implementation.

~IM

Thanks for the feedback. Thank you for pointing out the author search issue. It has been fixed now.

I will definitely take your other suggestions into consideration and they are very much appreciated. I don't know if I'm too wild about the background either, but I think that it is better than the previous one nonetheless.

Developing the site this way is definitely a hundred times easier than hand-editing 300+ pages. I hope to get better with it each day. Thanks again for the feedback.
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. This site is going to be awesome. The way it is organized is perfect. Is it cool if I send you a bunch of crazy crap to add to my developer profile? And game profiles? Is that kind of the point?
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap yeah, anything you want to send is fine by me Happy
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I see that suddenly every game has a page and a download :)

Showing all the games by default on the Games pages seems a bit much to me, though I think it's better than showing just the first few alphabetically. And some people still have dial-up!

Glad you got rid of the grided background, though to be honest I liked the old orange gradient most of all.

Some quick suggestions (might be repeating myself):
-Give the size of each download
-Eventually, link to the pages for each game on CP, SS, the wiki, or where ever else it's listed
-How about adding OHR Weekly to the links?
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Cool! I see that suddenly every game has a page and a download Happy

Showing all the games by default on the Games pages seems a bit much to me, though I think it's better than showing just the first few alphabetically. And some people still have dial-up!

Glad you got rid of the grided background, though to be honest I liked the old orange gradient most of all.

Some quick suggestions (might be repeating myself):
-Give the size of each download
-Eventually, link to the pages for each game on CP, SS, the wiki, or where ever else it's listed
-How about adding OHR Weekly to the links?

I will definitely add file sizes for each download, although it may take quite some time to implement it. Good idea.

I guess adding an "Links" section to each game section would be a bad idea either.

I will also be adding OHR Weekly for sure. Thanks for the ideas.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filesize can be done automatically. It shouldn't be that hard.

Again, any questions you have -> there are like ten people who know PHP around here. Some of us do it for a living.
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case...

Code:
<p><?php echo "<a href='download.php?id=$id'>$gamename.zip</a>"; ?> - <?php echo filesize($file);?> </p>

$file equals the location of a specific game file location. However, when I load the page, nothing shows up. Any ideas?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatballsub wrote:
Well in that case...

Code:
<p><?php echo "<a href='download.php?id=$id'>$gamename.zip</a>"; ?> - <?php echo filesize($file);?> </p>

$file equals the location of a specific game file location. However, when I load the page, nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Is $file the location for the browser, or the location on the server? You will need the later.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly my problem. Thanks, James, works like a charm now.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a minor typo in the gamelist:

Quote:
Okedoke: La Leyanda Mexicana

It should be spelled "Leyenda." (And the e's in Okedoke should technically be é's, but that doesn't really matter too much either way.)
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out, I will change it right away.

For the sake of searching, I figured it be easier to keep it as Okedoke than put the accents on it, if that is cool with you Happy
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm okay with the regular e's instead of é's.

I seem to remember seeing a few Pokémon fangames that didn't have their é's either, and I can see how using them could make searching a pain in the ass (mainly because not everyone knows how to type them... and people could see a game mentioned somewhere but forget that the accent was there, or get it mixed up with a different one like ê or ë.)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatballsub wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out, I will change it right away.

For the sake of searching, I figured it be easier to keep it as Okedoke than put the accents on it, if that is cool with you :)

If you want to support accents without screwing up searching, you should add an additional database field, something like "searchtitle", which would be a copy of the title with all accents replaced.

You never display the searchtitle, you just store it whenever the game's title changes.

Then before doing a search, you strip the accents from the user's search string, and search against the searchtitle instead of the regular title.

Code:

function strip-Accents($string){
return strtr($string,'à áâãäçèéêëìíîïñòóôõöùúûüýÿÀÁÂÃÄÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÑÒÓÔÕÖÙÚÛÜÝ',
'aaaaaceeeeiiiinooooouuuuyyAAAAACEEEEIIIINOOOOOUUUUY');
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: