Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I would like to see...activity!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkinbot
Rock beats scissors! >:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: I would like to see...activity! Reply with quote

Seriously, this place is dead. There's rarely two people on at a time. :/ Any suggestions on making this place lively?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, you're making the place more lively as we type. The fact that people aren't on doesn't mean they aren't there. I mean it's not like your wave of posts have gone unreplied right? That said, I'd say your wish for the forum of a pixel based rpg creating engine to be some sort of mega hub is basically going go ungranted. Unless 1 of 2 things happens.
1) Thousands suddenly feel the need to create old style video games.
2) OHR advertises

Anyways, welcome to the community.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actively advertised SS. Doesn't seem to make a big difference. I don't know of anyone who's joined because of the ads and posted more than once.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you're right. :/ Lock this, please.
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to lock this, there is plenty of good discussion to be had.

Try this:

As Moog said, this is a forum for an engine used to create old-style games, however, that is no longer, either the limit or the sole function of the engine. Certainly, the engine is designed and suited for FF1-6 style games, but there have been many excellent examples of how this engine is simply more than a RPG engine, and the engine itself gets more sophisticated every day! The sky is pretty much the limit now.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabbercat wrote:
No need to lock this, there is plenty of good discussion to be had.

Try this:

As Moog said, this is a forum for an engine used to create old-style games, however, that is no longer, either the limit or the sole function of the engine. Certainly, the engine is designed and suited for FF1-6 style games, but there have been many excellent examples of how this engine is simply more than a RPG engine, and the engine itself gets more sophisticated every day! The sky is pretty much the limit now.

Mhm. I agree. But that's the thing. If so much can be done with it, why isn't it more popular? I may sound like a kid saying his drawing is better, but still. Before I tried OHRRPGCE, I used Lunar Magic, a Super Mario World ROM editor thing, but just adding music and graphics was a hassle. Then, I tried Knytt Stories, which was fun, but I started to crave RPGs. I found the RPG Maker series, but none of it made sense, not to mention you have to buy it to get most of the stuff. I then found GameMaker (generic name ftw) but it, too, was complicated and required scripting. Then, I came across OHRRPGCE. It's simple, and it doesn't require scrpiting, but you can if you want. Not to mention, HamsterSpeak is pretty easy, from the looks of it. Happy
EDIT: Heh, that was your 777th post. Ha ha ha!
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason the OHRRPGCE isn't as popular as it could be is because it's so difficult to present.

Though certain websites have disagreed, and actually welcomed putting people's games on their site for people to play, but for the most part it's difficult to attract people to an OHRRPGCE game without someone stirring up a game engine war.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
The only reason the OHRRPGCE isn't as popular as it could be is because it's so difficult to present.

Though certain websites have disagreed, and actually welcomed putting people's games on their site for people to play, but for the most part it's difficult to attract people to an OHRRPGCE game without someone stirring up a game engine war.
You have a point.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that some kind of super game could make the OHR more popular, but perhaps not. I personally think it's one of the best if not thee best game maker for beginners to use, and with it's array of functions it's possible to carry a creator well into the veteran level.
Perhaps improving the engine might help some. Somethings I'd like to do with the engine but can't are, make a more then 320/200 pixel sized screen, and convert the game to flash format ( .swf ).
If we could produce games like that, even if the difficulty of doing so is rather high, I think more people would flock to the engine.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a new comunitiy project. There i said it. And we all know its true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt .swf (there's already a Java port in the works that would cover web gaming as well as mobile gaming), but I am pretty sure TMC wants a resolution higher than 320x200 more than even most of the players.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only community projects that have ever amounted to anything have been contests, and we have three of them going on right now. The people who are making games for those are mostly discussing them on LJ and SS, though.

Nothing's stopping you from organizing something, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have 3? I only know of 2! I feel out of the loop. please list these contests.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two epic marathons and the TGC.
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
Perhaps improving the engine might help some. Somethings I'd like to do with the engine but can't are, make a more then 320/200 pixel sized screen, and convert the game to flash format ( .swf ).

Gasp! http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/alchemy/

The engine is improving probably quicker than ever at the moment. It has many deficiencies, but I think that lots of significant ones will be fixed within the next half year (and James has done several in the last half year!). There's several huge things that I expect within that time.

Newbie Power wrote:
I am pretty sure TMC wants a resolution higher than 320x200 more than even most of the players.

Haha. I think I'm more annoyed by that limitation on the code then on games. I will definitely work to see Custom run at higher than 320x200, soon, but I don't know what will happen to Game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: