Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Uses for the Counter stat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkinbot
Rock beats scissors! >:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Uses for the Counter stat Reply with quote

I'm getting annoyed with the Counter stat. It does nothing, yes, so why did they leave it in? Anyway, I read the wiki page that said there's no way to remove it. Shouldn't this be do-able with scripting? If not, any ideas on what I can use it for? MP Regeneration Rate, maybe?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of games just use it as an extra stat.
You can use it to vary attack strengths/defenses, enemy targeting, or even as some sort of counting variable out of battle.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I really don't have any use for it. I was thinking of maybe their mood? The higher it is, the angrier they get, thus making that person stronger, but enemies attack that person more often, too. But I don't know how to implement it. Any help? If I can't, would it be possible to take it all out with scripting, including the number?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's possible to remove it. All you have to do is make your own stat screen, and assign it to the menu option instead of the current one.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumpkinbot wrote:
Yes, but I really don't have any use for it. I was thinking of maybe their mood? The higher it is, the angrier they get, thus making that person stronger, but enemies attack that person more often, too. But I don't know how to implement it. Any help? If I can't, would it be possible to take it all out with scripting, including the number?

Well, there are a couple (at least one) games that use the counter stat as a threat system.

Any attack from the hero that damage a foe is chained to another attack that increases your 'threat'.
Getting hurt decreases your 'threat'
Wearing stronger equipment should also raise your 'threat'.

This needs most monster attacks to specially target opponents using the 'Preferred Target' feature.

If you want it to make your heroes stronger, you could chain a couple attacks that boost the hero's 'power/strength' stat for a single attack, then reset it afterwards.

It's honestly a lot of work just to make use of a single stat.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinHamster wrote:
Well, there are a couple (at least one) games that use the counter stat as a threat system.

Any attack from the hero that damage a foe is chained to another attack that increases your 'threat'.
Getting hurt decreases your 'threat'
Wearing stronger equipment should also raise your 'threat'.

This needs most monster attacks to specially target opponents using the 'Preferred Target' feature.

If you want it to make your heroes stronger, you could chain a couple attacks that boost the hero's 'power/strength' stat for a single attack, then reset it afterwards.

It's honestly a lot of work just to make use of a single stat.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking about it being there for out of battle things. Like, on the wiki, it said that some people use it for "Coolness" or something. This sounds like a good idea, but "coolness" just sounds so...generic. I want it to be relevant to the plot, but...Maybe for the number of spells learned?
Mariel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there; I'm using it as a way to buy other stats at level up. Each character gets seven Counter points when they level, then can go to a custom menu to trade the Counter points into Attack, Defense, etc.

Having an extra stat is pretty handy.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

'Plan for more flexible stats'
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariel wrote:
Just throwing this out there; I'm using it as a way to buy other stats at level up. Each character gets seven Counter points when they level, then can go to a custom menu to trade the Counter points into Attack, Defense, etc.

Oh, that's a good idea. :o But how would you make a shop that uses a stat as currency instead of money?

EDIT: And how do you make it give each character exactly 7 counter points every level up? (MINIEDIT: Oh, plotsctipting, I guess?) That stupid stat curve is annoying. James, are you planning to have an editable stat-gain curve? 'Cause that would be quite handy. :o
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That is planned for someday too.

'Plan for customized experience-to-next-level'
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Yep. That is planned for someday too.

'Plan for customized experience-to-next-level'
Well, I'll be. X) Okay, well, I guess all my questions are answered.
Mariel

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumpkinbot wrote:
Mariel wrote:

Oh, that's a good idea. :o But how would you make a shop that uses a stat as currency instead of money?

EDIT: And how do you make it give each character exactly 7 counter points every level up? (MINIEDIT: Oh, plotsctipting, I guess?) That stupid stat curve is annoying. James, are you planning to have an editable stat-gain curve? 'Cause that would be quite handy. :o

Yeah, it'll be a script that checks after battle for a level up and then gives the counter points, and I'm sure you could make a shop for it too--perhaps not in the regular manner of an item shop, but using menus like mine only assigned to an NPC instead of in the ESC menu.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariel wrote:

Yeah, it'll be a script that checks after battle for a level up and then gives the counter points, and I'm sure you could make a shop for it too--perhaps not in the regular manner of an item shop, but using menus like mine only assigned to an NPC instead of in the ESC menu.
I see. First, I need to learn plotscriping. x_o But I'm taking a break for now. I've been bustin' mah butt getting the battle graphics to look right. *points to thread in Art Corner*
G-Wreck
OHRRPGCE Game Designer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is my first ever Castle Paradox post Big grin

Anyway, I'm using it as a 'persuade' stat, similar to the same stat in Star Wars: KoToR. But I' m actually using the Extra Hits stat instead, since I'm already using counter for another purpose (I never use extra hits anyway). The drawback is that I have to edit every hero attack to read the 'ignore extra hits bitset,' but I think it's worth it Happy .

Here's how it works:

I use a script to check the persuade stat of the party leader, and turn on the tag that corresponds to the level of the stat. For example, of Persuade = 5, it sets tag 'X: Persuade = 5' 'on.'

I use the script as my Map Autorun script, and then make choices appear in a menu after a textbox if the right persuasion tag is on. If your persuade skill is not high enough, the choice will not appear.

Here's the actual script. Beware, though, I'm new to scripting, and I'm sure there's a better way to write this:

Code:
plotscript,persuade,begin

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 0)
then(set tag (35,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 1)
then(set tag (36,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 2)
then(set tag (37,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 3)
then(set tag (38,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 4)
then(set tag (39,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 5)
then(set tag (40,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 6)
then(set tag (41,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 7)
then(set tag (42,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 8)
then(set tag (43,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 9)
then(set tag (44,on))

if (get hero stat (0,stat:persuade) == 10)
then(set tag (45,on))

end

And yes, it has been tested and proven to work :)

Finishing the main story arcs and gameplay elements before I do anything else.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome!

Interesting, I hadn't realised that we effectively have more than one extra stat.

Tags are still the easiest way to do things like build dynamic menus.
The only problem is that if the persuade stat ever decreased, your script wouldn't turn any tags off. Also, it might be safer to set it as an each-step instead of map autorun script, but you'll know yourself whether that's needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: