Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

my self published book is on Amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: my self published book is on Amazon Reply with quote

Hey, my self published book is on amazon now!

While I am not trying to talk anyone into buying it there (kinda expensive for even my own tastes) I would hugely appreciate it if anyone who has read any of the stories online would be willing to write a review in Amazon's customer review system. (And honest review of course, if you didn't like it I don't want you to say otherwise)

In other news, I haven't written anything new in several months, and that makes me frowny! Inspiration! I need inspiration!
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$7.44 is too expensive? I mean, I know the economy is weak and all...

Also, have you ever thought about publishing your Bob comics? I remember one with a secretary that was a cat. Honestly, I might even pay a full $8 for that.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$7.44 *before* shipping. But I guess it mainly seems like a bad price to me because almost all of it goes to the printers, and almost none of it goes to me :) I could have marked it up more, but I really didn't want to do that. My goal is not to make money (yet), but just to get people to read my stuff.

Actually, I would love to publish my Bob comics, but was not going to try that until I got to a good "stopping place" in the story... which hasn't moved in years :(

Hmmm. Based on createspace.com's price calculator, if I made a full-color volume of just the existing 63 pages of bobcomics, the price should come in somewhere just under $9.50 (before shipping)
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it on my wish list.

Out of curiosity, why did you use CreateSpace rather than, say, Lulu? Most people who self-publish books that I know of tend to use Lulu.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku wrote:
I put it on my wish list.

Out of curiosity, why did you use CreateSpace rather than, say, Lulu? Most people who self-publish books that I know of tend to use Lulu.

Createspace is *slightly* cheaper, and unlike Lulu they assign you an ISBN number and list you on Amazon.

But actually, I did also use Lulu too. I have used all three of Cafepress, Lulu, and Createspace.
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, sounds nice, will keep that in mind if I ever self-publish anything (besides games, I mean).

Have you ordered a copy from each to compare the quality (of the paper, binding, etc.) yet? If so, any comments on that?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku wrote:
Hm, sounds nice, will keep that in mind if I ever self-publish anything (besides games, I mean).

Have you ordered a copy from each to compare the quality (of the paper, binding, etc.) yet? If so, any comments on that?

Yes. I was perfectly satisfied with the quality of all three.

I published in 2 different sizes. A smaller size, via Cafepress, which I liked better because it felt easier to carry around, and more like the size of paperbacks that I usually read.

When I re-released it on Lulu, I switched to a larger size, which was the smallest size they offered at the time. I haven't re-checked to see if a smaller size has become available since then.

Createspace did allow the smaller size, but I just recycled my larger-format Lulu file because I had added some content, and didn't want to go through the trouble of fixing all the page numbers in my T.O.C

All in all, I guess my satisfaction with Lulu is the highest.

I didn't like that createspace *required* me to buy one proof copy. That is something I would have done anyway, but I didn't like being forced. it is just that being listable on Amazon seemed too good to pass up.

From what I understand, ALL on-demand self-publishing is generally a poor deal for the self-publishing author compared to what you can get from other small-press book printers, but since those others require a minimum order quantity that is usually in the 100's, the on-demands like Cafepress/Lulu/Createspace are just fine for beginners like myself who haven't built any following yet, and can't be assured of selling copies.
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good to know for future reference.

I found that to be the case too regarding on-demand CD printing (for games etc.) is extremely pricey in royalties if you use lulu or cafepress compared to printing 500 or so CDs yourself, where they only cost about a dollar each (even with jewel cases and inserts).

(BTW, not to hijack the thread or anything, but Long and I also have something on Lulu: http://www.lulu.com/content/compact-disc/immortal-defense-original-soundtrack/1898505 -- although you can also just download it for free here: http://studioeres.com/forums/index.php?topic=210.0 or even listen to it on YouTube: (just search for Immortal Defense OST). We haven't actually sold a single copy of the audio CD yet except the one I bought myself, but I haven't really been promoting it either.)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I don't think I have purchased a CD anywhere other than at a Yard sale for like 3 years. :)

Actually, My book buying habits are drifting the same way too. Thrift stores, bookstore surplus sales, used books via amazon are all I have been purchasing for what seems like years now. The only new books I own (with the exception of a couple self-published books by other people) are ones purchased for me as gifts by other people.

The download link for the OST seems to be broken. I was able to find one track on youtube, but I couldn't find any others.

And the Immortal Defense demo can only run as far as the title screen using Wine on my Linux box, then it crashes :(

I would love to play it.
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, someone had renamed the soundtrack to 'soundtrack1.zip' instead of 'soundtrack.zip'. I fixed the link, it should now work. Here's a link to the YouTube playlist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F4A8B91582FC04AB

Immortal Defense may not work because of one of the .dll's it's using -- it's possible the .dll's assume Windows or something. Do other Game Maker games work under it? For instance, any of these? If most of those do work, it's probably the sound dll I use (supersound). If that is the case, turning sounds and music off (in the .ini file) may help, but it'd be a pity to play the game like that. If none of those work either, it may just be that Game Maker doesn't work well with Wine.
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you tried the old demo (prior to October of 2008), you may want to try the new one. The old one used an encryption .dll which I no longer use, and it's possible that may have been it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: