Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Merry Christmas~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Merry Christmas~ Reply with quote

A little late, but just wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Also wanna let you all know we'll hopefully have some new site features and stuff to show off on New Years, depending on how things go. As some of you may remember, we planned to release a new version of CP back in September, and we've been working hard on it since New Years last year (Especially IM). Our goal currently is to get it up by New Years but we can never be too sure... But almost everything is finished and ready to go. Either way, it won't be long now, so look forward to it!

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I wasn't expecting it so soon. I'm really looking forward to the public release. Though I'm still not sure just what's been changed, it's obviously going to be big!

Slips are OK, I'm not here on the 1st anyway :P
Crown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Can`t wait to see it!
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Weren't able to make it happen for New Years Raspberry!. We'll keep trying...
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we at least get the number of visible forums pruned down until then so it doesn't look like a ghost town?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. As I'm gone for another 2-3 days, that's a good time to surprise me, right? :P

Which forums Fyre, Review Wars and What-would-you-like-to-see? The others are all fairly well used. I'd think it a bad idea to merge away Review Wars, but maybe WWYLTS should be renamed to make it clear that it's for discussion about CP itself instead of suggesting OHR features, which definitely doesn't need a separate forum.

(PS: Someone should bump HS#23 to the soapbox)
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Site Discussion or something on those lines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember suggesting, I can't remember if I posted it on CP or LJ-

BAMtastic, Art Corner, and Story Time are combined into one forum

Game Design, Announcements, and OHR General combined into one forum.

Review Wars eliminated

"What would you like to see" eliminated

so the streamlined layout is:

Castle Paradox
- The Soapbox
- Paradox Lounge
OHR
- OHRRPGCE Forum
- Plotscripting Help
- Creative Corner

I can explain the reasoning behind these decisions if you want.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain why you'd still separate OHR and Plotscripting? Seems like it's the same idea-space.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose is to focus user activity, however, plotscripting threads would create too much clutter in that focusing and can last much longer than a normal thread in terms of active lifespan, but not enough posts to keep it bumped to the top of the front page. If that makes any sense.

I'm writing up my big post now.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'll just jump the gun and put my explanations in a seperate post:

CP's population has dropped. A lot. Before it could get away with all of the current subforums, but the way it is now there's just too much focus-split.

Quote:
BAMtastic, Art Corner, and Story Time are combined into one forum

This is the easiest and I think everyone can agree with this. They're all on the subject of creativity. I mean, even the thousand-users strong Penny Arcade Forums has only one art forum and only recently got a Writers forum, and even then they don't move too much.

I mean hell, BAMtastic is a niche within a niche. It's also out of date, and new users aren't going to get the reference. Plus a cursory check of the forums:

Art Corner - oldest thread on first page is from march 08
BAMtastic - oldest thread on first page is from april 07
Story Time - oldest thread on first page is from july 06

So combining them will greatly increase the activity level of the forum and make people want to participate in it. Also, it would be possible to write a script that puts [ART] [MUSIC] [STORY] into the thread subjects when merging them all into one forum.

Quote:
Game Design, Announcements, and OHR General combined into one forum.

Now by this one, I mean the topics mostly, but the combined forum won't be taking on all the purposes of the old ones. To be bluntly honest, a lot of the Game Design threads are general discussion threads that could have been easily posted in Paradox Lounge, and are more 'gaming' threads than 'game design' threads. And the others are very OHR related, so this is why I'm saying to move them into the OHRRPGCE forum.

Announcements forum worked back in the day, but as I said before there's just not enough people to support it. Game releases can be posted to the front page, where it's more easily user (and search engine) accessible. Just like the old days of the OHR, except without editorializing from the site owner. Assign some people the ability to post in the Soapbox forum and they can do the work for you, summarizing a new demo/game post in the OHR forum and linking to it. Either way, it's focused and increased activity.

Quote:
Review Wars eliminated

There's threads on the front page of this forum from 2005. That is now 4 years ago. Once again, honesty: reviews aren't really flowing in left and right. And this functionality would probably be better served by a comments system on reviews. Otherwise, if people really feel the need to call out a review, they can do it in a game thread or on their journal, or in PM.

Quote:
"What would you like to see" eliminated

While an useful forum, people can suggest things via posting to their journal, it'll still be seen. This forum mostly gets eliminated for reasons I'll state in a moment..

In short, we want to

1) Focus activity into as few forums as possible
1b) but still have some seperation

2) bring all forums into view, without scrolling, on a 1024x768 screen. Right now I have to scroll down to even see the OHR forum, by default i just see 4 low activity forums (and one that says "no posts', which is confusing to new users). Basically, everything needs to be above 'the fold'.

3) Slime Salad serves the purpose of 'off topic' discussion, so I'd say get rid of Paradox Lounge, but that's a feature IM and Cube want to take CP in a direction with so I'll leave that alone. Also I am a fan of the OHR community existing on more than one site again.

4) Plotscripting still retains it's own forum as stated in the post above, because posts take longer to resolve but don't have the posting activity to bump them and keep them up top, which will encourage 'bump' posts. It's also basically the third generation of the PS Help forum (Blazes, then mine, and now on CP) so the community is used to that one being seperate.

5) If the site is going to stay OHR-centric for the time being, I'd probably also suggest flipping the categories to OHR Forum/Plotscripting are on the top and the CP forums are on the bottom, like so:

OHRRPGCE
- Main OHRRPGCE Discussion
- Plotscripting Help
Castle Paradox Community
- Creative Corner
- Paradox Lounge
- The Soapbox
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell. For once I actually agree with everything that Fyre said. WHAT THE CRAP IS HAPPENING HERE
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if this site ever takes on other engines, the Plotscripting forum could be converted to a general scripting forum.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I agree as well, though I'd still say the scripting forum is taken care of with the OHR discussion forum (as evidenced by the number of out-of-forum "howto" posts that end up having plotscripting solutions).

But I'd be happy with any method of condensing underused forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: