Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The Aftermath
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: The Aftermath Reply with quote

Hey. It's been a long time. I wasn't going to announce this, it's not very far along, but I do want it to go somewhere and something tells me that if I show what I've done my motivation will continue better.

The game is tentatively called 'The Aftermath' and takes place after what is basically an apocalypse. There are very, very few people left around. Well, very few living people left around.

The cause of the apocalypse left all sorts of wild black magic in the air, and corpses all over the place have been rising up and living again. Some are still talking and walking and 'living' and others are more in the vein of film zombies, all kill!kill!kill! and that.

You are a skeleton, who starts in a crypt after he had just 'risen,' which basically means gained consciousness. The mystery there is that rising a skeleton takes a much more more concentrated sort of spell, as in, someone meant to raise you.

That's about all I know I can say for sure without ruining everything, as the pace of the game is more figured out I can probably give away some more story. (it is written, i swear, haha!)

Yeah, writings boring. Here's some screenies.

Your lovely resting place.

There's a battle.

The graveyard.

Are those textbox choices? In a textbox? Whoa. Haha.

Portraits! You're the skeleton.

Sorry about the image compression. Does photobucket do that? I'll find a better uploader for the next batch.

No clue on when it'll be demo ready. It will be awhile. There's about 1 minute of gameplay right now.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are really great, and I can't wait to see more.

Try saving your files as .PNG. Photobucket is a jerk when it comes to .BMP, and likes to compress larger files into .JPEGs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, the artwork in this game is incredible and classy. Very "Midieval" like. I love it.

Even with your skills, though, I agree that a lot of the non-character foreground objects need to be readable. The contrast needs to be upped a bit to bring out details more. Zoomed in, yeah, there is far more detail that you put work into making, but zoomed out, it all becomes one big mass of PURE BLACK.

You can still add contrast without taking away the overall brightness of the scene, I found.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiice! Can't wait to see more.

ShakeyAir, were you known by some other name previously? I don't recognize your name, but you seem to be familiar with the community.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add, but let me parrot the previous posters' sentiment. Looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much everyone with the kind words!

Surlaw: Honestly, I don't think I'm at the point to have a real preview. I will come back to that link for sure when I have some more done (and it is christmas break so hopefully that'll be pretty quick.)

James: I don't think I ever contributed a real lot. But I think I've been ShakeyAir and then LionX5 waaaay back in grade/middle school. Maybe something else too, because I could have swore I had a really crappy game up on here? But really I've been pretty shy about my OHR use because when I was younger I didn't have the patience to make anything good, so I just fiddled with it for personal use mostly.

Contrast: Is it mostly the buildings you have an issue with? Or the trees too? Or everything? I've noticed on my monitor the grass on dirt looks good, and very separated, while on other monitors it all bleeds together. It's hard because I'm barely using the set color gradients. Like I'm jumping around for all my shadows and such. Maybe I need a different master palette to make it look decent on any color configuration?

Regardless, I'll play with it.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These graphics are amazing. I personally see no problem with the contrast, though, my screen's gamma and brightness rating is probably higher than most people's.

Can't wait to see more, if only there were others like you lurking around the community...!

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
Can't wait to see more, if only there were others like you lurking around the community...!

What makes you think there aren't?
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just love these graphics. They look completely different from anything I've seen. Can't wait for you to release this thing.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rather then adding to the great wall of complements, i think ill ask something.

did you use the old master palette, the new one, or a custom one? if its custom can you post it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the new master palette. I am a big fan of it! It makes much nicer pictures possible than the old one.

I don't know enough color theory or whatever to come up with my own palette, haha.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there an OHRRPGCE game where you could set the brightness? Maybe this game would need something like that to fit with different monitors.

The graphics / art are really good as the others already said.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Mariel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those screenshots are incredible. Love the game premise too, it's very original. Just one question. How'd you get choices in the text box like that? I've been wanting to do something similar for my game but I could not figure it out (admitted, I'm not very good at plotscripting yet). Please share?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really great, I hope you keep it up for the rest of the game!

OOIA added a contrast setting to the menu in Bloodlust. I think that brightness/gamma options should be built into game.exe because some monitors are really awful. And I know I'm guilty of sometime also using the darkest colours in the palette for half of everything.

You can make menus of choices like that using custom menus with the right settings attached to and displaying over a blank textbox, no scripting required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: